• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb Alpert charts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trumpet_1530

Hello all, I'm new here, and for all i know, this thing I'm about to ask has probably been said in a few different forms, but I'm still going to ask.
I'm a senior in high school and I'm going to be doing a senior project where I was going to put together a combo and play around 8 herb alpert charts along with a herb alpert melody (It has Whipped cream, The lonely bull, Sentimental over you, Taste of honey, and Tijuana Taxi) that was written for my trumpet teacher. But I can't find arangements of the charts I want to play. Six of the charts are from when he was in the TJB and two others after. Can you help me out a little here? I saw looking at one of the posts that Herb is very into education and maybe it'd be nice if he could help out, but the post also said he's rather private, and my teacher told me he's working on somthing with some one now, so any way, any help would be nice. thank you.

anyone got anything? I emailed A&M records about this, but the email I sent it to came back because it's not there any more. so any one know of an email i can send to?? anything??

Many years ago, Hansen Publishers and Key Pops Publishers published various combo books for brass and rhythm accompaniment. These books were designed to provide the basic layout of many of the Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass songs that had been recorded up to that time - that is, the early to mid sixties. I believe some of the songs from the SOUNDS LIKE album were some of the last to be included in these books. So, they included many of the the songs from LONELY BULL up to SOUNDS LIKE... However, these books were available back in the sixties, and are no longer able to be purchased. I am not even sure if the companies that published them are still in business...Unfortunately, these books have been out of print for many years. The only way that I could think of that you could find any of this material would be from someone that happened to have the books today.

I used to play in a TJB "tribute" group and we used these books, but I no longer have them and haven't seen them for many years. We did write many of our own arrangements of these and other songs. However, we did have the personnel in our group who had the ability to take the recording and create an arrangement from it. We actually wrote some of those out on paper, and some others were "developed or evolved," shall we say, in rehearsals, with each member of the group contributing to the song what he thought was the right thing for his particular part...

You may have to actually create your own arrangements in a similar way...

If you will search for "Herb Alpert" on ebay, these band books sometimes come up for bid. I have watche a couple sell for under $20.

There is one Herb Alpert "songbook" available at Sheet Music Plus, but you won't find any band arrangements. It would, however, give you an idea of chord changes and such. I could probably write out arrangements myself, but don't have the patience to do it. I'd probably find a way to do it via a MIDI keyboard and notation software.

It sounds like that type of keyboard/software would be great.

Back in the days when I and others were writing arrangements, we probably would have given just about anything for tools like those...

It would be fun to have one of those kinds of keyboards and that kind of software just to play around with...I can't really play keyboard very much, but maybe enough to produce an arrangement...

How does it actually work?

hmm, well here's something that probably is even more difficult to do, does any one know how I could get in touch with Herb Alpert? I know he's very private, but since he's into education, and this is education. Maybe he might help, possibly. If you know how to and just don't want to post it here so every one knows it, you can contact me on my icq or e-mail at [email protected]
thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom