Herb Alpert Is...

I watched the TJB footage again -- which raises all sorts of goosebumps to say the least!

I now have two theories as to why no authorized live footage (e.g., a DVD) has been released to date: 1) Although excellent musicians, the live performances were surely looser than the studio recordings -- suggesting that to HA these performances were not representative of his A&M releases. 2) There may be a good chance that the on-stage circa 1966-69 performance banter would not play well in 2023 -- particularly given today's socio-political preoccupied climate of conducting biased retrospective ethnocentric assessments of past societal activities. To that end, any TJB member uttering one "questionable" remark would risk adverse impact back to HA's legacy. (For example, slowing down the video during one of those sections where the editors throw tons of images every 1/8 second all over the screen, I read one of the newspaper clippings where it mentioned that HA dropped his "Tijuana taxicab jokes" for an upcoming White House performance given the president of Mexico would be in the audience...)

I watched the TJB footage again -- which raises all sorts of goosebumps to say the least!

I now have two theories as to why no authorized live footage (e.g., a DVD) has been released to date: 1) Although excellent musicians, the live performances were surely looser than the studio recordings -- suggesting that to HA these performances were not representative of his A&M releases. 2) There may be a good chance that the on-stage circa 1966-69 performance banter would not play well in 2023 -- particularly given today's socio-political preoccupied climate of conducting biased retrospective ethnocentric assessments of past societal activities. To that end, any TJB member uttering one "questionable" remark would risk adverse impact back to HA's legacy. (For example, slowing down the video during one of those sections where the editors throw tons of images every 1/8 second all over the screen, I read one of the newspaper clippings where it mentioned that HA dropped his "Tijuana taxicab jokes" for an upcoming White House performance given the president of Mexico would be in the audience...)
Probably why no mention of the Baja Marimba Band in the doc as well.

Any ethnic jokes or comments considered questionable in today's cultural milieu could easily be edited out by any studio engineer. My best guess is that the live performances did not meet Herb's high standards, as compared to the studio recordings. Herb is not the exception--all great musical artists are perfectionists and hear things differently than the average person. That said, I would love to watch a video concert of the TJB during their heyday--including any imperfections.

There is still the audio concert from the Hollywood Bowl with Johnny Mathis and Jose Jimenez. Some of the "schtick" wouldn't fly today.

Back
Top Bottom