Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
Herb Alpert, Tijuana Brass and Other Delights

Here is program info from the BBC site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tr86l

There isn't any info yet about whether this special will be shown out of the U.K. area. As soon as there may be news, it will be posted here.

The Herb Doc will be followed by a '67 BBC Herb Alpert & TJB program.

Don't know about regular TV showings, but the BBC usually make programs like this available to watch online for 7 days on their i-player format, kind of like their in-house youtube. It's usually the same deal for "Later with Jools Holland" and radio shows too. I'm not 100% sure of their download status but the BBC's homepage should have details in full.

I'll be watching on i-player for sure...

mexicat said:
Don't know about regular TV showings, but the BBC usually make programs like this available to watch online for 7 days on their i-player format, kind of like their in-house youtube. It's usually the same deal for "Later with Jools Holland" and radio shows too. I'm not 100% sure of their download status but the BBC's homepage should have details in full.

I'll be watching on i-player for sure...

Don't be surprised if you receive a "Not available in your area" message, due to licensing matters.

There is a little bit in Radio Times (a TV Guide) about the two shows and a small snippet "Instant Expert:Herb Alpert" on another page... 1960's photos and nothing new for us experts!

Really looking forward to this new Doc & vintage footage of Herb with TJB in 1967 ....amazingly still available ...as BBC have wiped most of Beatles 1960's performances footage & similar fate with too many other groups & artists :rolleyes:

Tonight will be fascinating see Herb on Later ....at last ....as this is a musicians platform & rarity on current UK TV ....also note longer full version of Later will be screened on Friday 17/9 @ 23:50 hrs BST which should have another Herb performance :cool:

BBC i Player will continue for 1 week for UK & some European fans whio have access & if previous BBC 4 Docs tradition is followed : Herb Alpert Legends Doc will be repeated several times again over next few months :)

Roll on Friday .....3 Herb & TJB programmes ......

Peter UK

Steve Sidoruk said:
Don't be surprised if you receive a "Not available in your area" message, due to licensing matters.

I'd be very surprised indeed if that happened (not mention pretty hacked off) as I've watched stuff on i-player with no problem so far, saw the Dr. Feelgood movie, 'Oil City Confidential', on there yesterday so I guess it's gonna be ok...

Can't wait, in fact!

Herb is also appearing on BREAKFAST on BBC ONE tomorrow, Friday. The show runs from 6am till 9.15 - suspect (but don't know for sure) he'll be in the last hour.

Thanks for the heads up. Surprised that he's on Breakfast as that's more of a serious news show. I suspect you're right about it being in the last hour.....

Stephen

Well, not everyone in Great Britain is impressed, I guess. This post just appeared on the Steve Hoffman forum:

ROLO46
Forum Icon

Herb Alpert ?
Herb sold more sides in '66 than the Beatles.....

Herb eventually founded A&M Records

Carpenters, Joe Cocker , Stevie Winwood,Police etc

Herb did disco.

Herbs a great LA guy, loads of top muso mates.

However the Tijuna Brass stuff is cheesy beyond compare, Herb is a considerable musician, why was the music so duff and popular?

'66 was the tipping point in pop music, why were the US so out of touch.?

Just seen a BBC 4 doc followed by a really ghastly mimed Hollywood tv show
from '66 .

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=228135

Harry

Why's he bashing Herb for "doing disco?" Everyone was doing disco. Hell, even Kiss did disco.

That guy is probably just a disgruntled Kenny G fan. :wink:

I read all the comments that follow the poster's unfavorable review. They pretty much all disagree with his opinion.
"Disgruntled Kenny G fan" ... I Love it!!!!!!!! LMAO

Having been away, I've just watched this show - a wonderful tour of Herb's (and, to some extent, LA's and the US's) history. It starts from the beginning and takes us all the way to some Vibrato/Anything Goes footage.

And our own Steve Sidoruk gets a credit at the end!

Stephen

NVE00002.jpg

Stephen Vakil said:
And our own Steve Sidoruk gets a credit at the end!

Congrats to Steve Sidoruk!

But let's not forget Garry Gillies who is also a great guy and a contributor to this wonderful forum. :cool:

Just watched this again. It's by far the best thing I've seen on TV (ok, laptop) for a long while. The interviews with Herb, Lani and the TJB guys were great, but some of the old 60's (my favorite A&M era) footage was priceless!

If I had the means of recording it, I'd happily share it with anyone outside of the transmission regions but I haven't figured a way to McGuyver it yet...

It would be amazing if the BBC or some other channel would air some more archive clips of Herb, and Sergio, Wes Montgomery, and other A&M delights... The Herb/A&M documentary really coulda been a 10-part series, there's simply too much to nail down in a one-hour show...

Be patient. Good things come to those who wait. The program was just so good, that there's no way it will just fade away after one showing.

Yes, there could have been a longer show, because there was so much material and Herb has had a very eventful life. However, the reality is that there is a bottom line for the project and everyone must stick to their budget.

As for the quality of the DOC, the BBC had a crack team working on this project. In fact, Marcel Guillou, Associate Producer, is a long-time fan of Herb & Lani. Obviously, a great deal of care and detail went into telling Herb's story. It was most accurate and very informative to those who just might have a passing knowledge of Herb, but the long-time fans were entertained and informed, as well.

As a reminder, A&M's 50th Anniversary will be upcoming in 2012. That would definitely make quite a TV special! PBS might be a good place to air such a special. Motown certainly got the treatment when they hit 50. The A&M story deserves to be told and celebrated.

Happily, I finally got to see the documentary and it is quite spectacular.

I really enjoyed seeing the remaining Tijuana Brass members and hearing their stories. Lots of pictures of young Herb that I'd not seen before.

The faster "Rise" excerpt caught my ear - but Herb was surely right to slow it down.

Harry

One thing in the documentary that really stood out for me was when they were describing Herb's early training and then talked about him getting to pop music.

Herb is sitting at his little home studio and reminisces about first being hooked by "Sh-Boom" by The Chords. That happens to be a record from my earliest memories too, and I still have the 45 record to this day.

Sh-Boom by The Chords on Youtube

Harry
...good taste, Herb, online...

I think unfortunately if PBS were to pick this up it would have to be reedited with new "narration" which would add to the cost. As a "Yank" and with a history of a year in Public Television, I can assure you PBS would not use it in it's current state. For example look what they did to Sir David Attenborough and his amazing "narration" on the BBC series Planet Earth before it would, "Play In Peoria". No I think you would be more apt to see this amazing documentary on Sundance or IFC here in the States and I think it would play well there in it's current state. Plus it's ready to go "as is". KCET here in LA recently announced they were "going rogue" from the stodgy and backward thinking PBS, so I could maybe see them picking it up. It also would be nice if they offered it with the new upcoming CD as a "special package".

It was terrific to see Herb "play" the piano and very moving to see him break down and cry when talking about the selling of A&M. It obviously still haunts him. I also found it a bit disheartening that Herb pretty much has all of his music that he listens to "digitized". I hope he is at least using ASCII or WAV files. Many people forget or don't remember that Herb couldn't play the trumpet for a period of time and had to study to "relearn" how to play. Which I thought was also nicely covered. So the next time you are getting ready to complain the Herb Alpert doesn't "play the way he used to" remember, he can't. And most importantly, doesn't want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom