Herb Alpert & TJB "Collector's Edition" 8/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't found it yet anywhere. I've found any number of copies of THE BEACH BOYS and TOM JONES in 3-CD tins, but no Herb yet.

Harry

I've been out the last couple of days looking for it - 3 Walmarts, 6 Targets, 2 Fry's and 1 Costco - to no avail. All of the Best Buys have them backordered until Sept. 9.

I've seen many other artists - Beach Boys, Carole King, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Dean Martin, Marvin Gaye, a ton of C&W artists - but no Herb. :confused:

Capt. Bacardi
...who just unloaded $1900 for a transmission... :mad:

We have not been able to get it yet either. So far on our ordering website, there is still the same limited info as I posted at the top of this thread - not even a cover photo, yet. And now it's showing on back-order, even though I ordered it before the release date as I do with all new releases.

The major labels get a bad rap, but there is value in that system when it comes to actually getting product made and in the stores.

hi guys I already got mine a few days after the release date of august 19. I ordered mine from amazon. and I really must say is the booklet was very well done. now if there is a baja marimba band I would go and buy it.and all I saw at best buy was the ones like beach boys, tom jones too.
thanks
bob

The Release date in the UK has been delayed yet again-I got a email from Amazon UK showing a despatch date of 1st Oct - 20th Oct ! It would seem demand has outstripped supply :cry:

Have now given up with Amazon UK - there is now no actual despatch date given, so I have cancelled my order and re - ordered with Amazon.com - it is around $28 cheaper although I will probably have to pay import taxes - at least Amazon.com still show the set as being in stock - will keep everyone posted :thumbsup:

Got mine on Fri 19th - saved a bunch of cash buying from Amazon U.S AND - it arrived quicker than it would with Amazon U.K! Very pleased with it !!!!!!!! :)

I had to lower my standards and picked one up at Wally World for $16.99. Interesting that when I opened it up the CDs were not in order - What Now My Love was the first one followed by Whipped CReam then Going Places. The average layman may not notice that at first I suppose. I still can't understand why the titles don't list the two bonus tracks on WCOD. Nice booklet, though - except for when they mentioned Jules Wechter.... :oops:

Capt. Bacardi

I've still not found one. I've looked in Walmart, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond. I see plenty of the other titles, but no Herb.

I may have to break down and order it from Amazon.

Harry

I think Steve got all three that were allocated to the East Coast!

Harry

We should have it in stock tomorrow, finally. I didn't do an order the last 2 weeks due to being on vacation, but when I put my order in today it showed as being available.

After scouring whatever stores I could that carries these things and never finding even a hint of one on the shelves, I finally broke down and ordered it online.

It arrived yesterday, and as I filed it on my shelf, I realized that this is the closest thing to an actual Herb Alpert CD Box Set that I've seen. (I'm not counting that "Fan Box Set" that A&M threw together in the '90s, "duct taping" the two GREATEST HITS discs together.)

Harry

Glad you were able to find it. I have not been able to get it yet, even though our vendor has shown it "in stock" a couple of times, it never arrives. (It gets "zeroed out" on our invoice.) I think it's probably because of a computer error -- their shelf is empty, but their computer thinks they have 1 in stock. I wrote them an email to correct it but the same thing keeps happening. Oh well, it's not like there's a lot of new music there that I haven't heard!

I've checked Target, Best Buy, Walmart, Circuit City, Costco, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. They all have sections full of these tins, but no Herb Alpert - that's why I finally went the online route - before they disappear.

Harry

I just read that this collection has been on the Billboard charts for 23 weeks, peaking at #10 on the Top Jazz Albums chart. It's currently at #19. Obviously, this collection is prominent at some stores across the country.

Capt. Bacardi

Wow. Incredible. I've still not seen it in a brick & mortar store. Plenty of other titles but not Herb's.

Harry

Addendum:

I've finally seen the Collectors Edition Tin in a store, down here in Florida. We happened into a Target store and I spotted the Herb Alpert tin in the racks!

Harry
...from the A&M Corner Southern Command, online...

I bought this recently, not because I care about a tin or any "collectible" feature like this, but because it was a moderately-priced way to reintroduce myself to the TJB ($17.99 on Amazon). I grew up hearing the music on these discs as a kid, but wasn't old enough to buy LPs or to know which albums they originated from. By the time I was buying records, I only had my local bricks and mortar store to rely on, so the only CD I could find was the single-disc Greatest Hits. Stores are now carrying Whipped Cream and Rewhipped in stores, but only because they are recent issues. You have to get seriously interested in acts like the TJB to finally realize that online stores are the way you HAVE to learn about and buy such music.

This set is obviously redundant for longtime collectors, but it serves its purpose in attracting new fans. With YouTube introducing more and more classic music every day, I believe that record labels should be working much harder at pushing their catalogue music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom