HERB ON JAY LENO 3/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
Herb Alpert along with Ozomatli have been confirmed to perform on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Thursday March 16th!!!

They will perform "Love Potion #9" from the forth-coming album Whipped Cream and Other Delights - Re-Whipped a re-mix of the best selling 1965 album by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.

Here in England Tonight with Jay Leno is broadcast on CNBC (part of the Sky Digital satellite package).

According to the CNBC web site - Tonight Show with Jay Leno is shown three weekdays after broadcast in the States, (i.e. Monday's episode airs on Thursday). So perhaps working on that basis the interview with Herb Alpert will be shown next Tuesday?

I shall keep a close eye on:
http://www.cnbceurope.com/television/programmes/tonight/

Damn. I was hoping for Letterman so Herb "might" get some chair time. Although this is a unique-enough thing that Leno might do an interview too.

norderney said:
So perhaps working on that basis the interview with Herb Alpert will be shown next Tuesday?

Umm, it's March 16th; this is February. So I would guess four weeks from next Thursday you'll see it on that side of "the pond" as they say...

--Mr Bill

Unfortunately, We're not getting the Tonight show here in Norway, anymore. Hopefully I will be able to persuade one of you brothers here on the Corner to tape a copy for me. Anyway, it's great news that Herb will perform live on Jay Leno again. It will be much needed exposure for the album.

- greetings from the very cold and snowy north -
Martin

Mike Blakesley said:
Damn. I was hoping for Letterman so Herb "might" get some chair time. Although this is a unique-enough thing that Leno might do an interview too.

I think he will get some chair time with Jay. The week before he and Jerry Moss will be inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame, so there should be some good material to talk about. When Herb did the Leno show in 1992 he got chair time plus performed two songs. The only thing I'm disappointed in is Herb doing "Love Potion #9", which I think is the weakest track on this new remixed version of the album.

Capt. Bacardi

The Raging Captain said:
The only thing I'm disappointed in is Herb doing "Love Potion #9", which I think is the weakest track on this new remixed version of the album.

I would agree. I see this track as another "Diamonds." In other words, much as folks think of "Diamonds" as "that Janet Jackson song with the trumpet guy." folks may refer to this as "that Ozo song with that trumpet guy." Of course, Ozomatli is the most prominent of the artists that guest on Re-Whipped. And for that reason I can understand the choice -- I expect the marketing for Re-Whipped to be similar to Sergio's Timeless. Locally that disc's sales to the "under 40 crowd" seem to be largely driven by what people saw on Leno. My local Starbucks is down to two copies.

--Mr Bill

Thought I would bump this up since the show is coming up next week.

Now having heard the re-whipped "Love Potion #9" I wonder how they're going to perform it on the show. It has quite a bit of the old record in it, especially at the end. I guess they might use some of it from a computer or whatever. Should be interesting.

reminds me of when I went to NYC as a kid to see the Herb TJB tv show at the Museum of TV...replete with the intro "presented by Bankamericard"...any idea if Shout Factory has looked into obtaining any of the tv stuff for dvd release?

I agree on Love Potion #9 on Rewhipped....I like Whipped Cream, Bittersweet Samba, and the last one...

DavidRSmedley said:
reminds me of when I went to NYC as a kid to see the Herb TJB tv show at the Museum of TV...replete with the intro "presented by Bankamericard"...any idea if Shout Factory has looked into obtaining any of the tv stuff for dvd release?

There was talk about eventually releasing the old specials, but that will probably be quite a while before that actually happens.

Capt. Bacardi

There are quite a few TV specials making their way to DVD - also variety shows like "Tony Orlando and Dawn." I imagine the SF folks are watching how that kind of thing sells. I hope the TJB stuff gets released eventually.

I've watched Leno every night this week...(I'm on spring break) and he only mentions Jody Foster for Thursday. Does she play trumpet? :tongue:

I think if Mr. Alpert were to start doing live performances again he would have to use young male and female vocalists in the band. Carlos Santana has been doing that for years. He has a very identifiable guitar sound but he doesn't figure it will carry the whole show.

I be watchin' tonight :thumbsup: ....................JO

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
I've watched Leno every night this week...(I'm on spring break) and he only mentions Jody Foster for Thursday. Does she play trumpet? :tongue:

I be watchin' tonight :thumbsup: ....................JO

According to the TV Guide webpage, Herb will indeed be on the the show tonight. I be watchin' [and tapin'...], too...

Dan

New Billboard chart is out. Herb did not chart yet. (This would've been his debut week.)

Might get some action from the Leno appearance. We'll see.

I thought the performance was great tonight! A little different from what I was expecting, and not near as long as I had hoped. But my God, how awful it was having to listen to Leno all night long. He's terrible! No wonder I don't watch his show. At least I won't have trouble getting to sleep tonight... :rolleyes:

Capt. Bacardi

...Jodi Foster wasn't bad...it's really disappointing that Herb didn't get to say anything...but he did sound good!

Dan

"Two-And-A-Half-Minutes on Late-Night Talk Show": Lose a Turn!" :cussing:

-- from the "Board Game" inside the gatefold-cover of The Dillards' The Dillards VS. The Incredible L.A. Time Machine...

OK, "Herb Albert" was better presented on Jay Leno than Sergio and I certainly thought Jodie Foster and--whoever HE was--were better guests to have than Roseanne and... :?: (...Forgot HER name, too!) :!:

Seeing Herb do "Love Potion #9" with Ozomatli on vocals makes me want to listen to it (...And appreciate it!) on Re-Whipped more and more, (or at least Elkie Brooks' version) though it's still drastically robbed of the "Strip-Tease" prowess of the original! :mad:

Dave

It's hard for me to sit and watch all of Leno or Letterman. I don't particularly enjoy listening to movie stars talk about themselves. But I sat through it to hear da man. :wink:

By the way, the horn section was syncing. Alpert's trumpet was live as so was the vocal and the drums.

It would have been fun to hear more. Maybe next time...........later...JO

I was hoping for some couch time, but with the long guest list I knew it wouldn't happen.

FWIW, I thought Herb's appearance came off better than Sergio's. Better song, translated better to live.

But, Jay Leno kept calling him Herb ALBERT. :mad:

Somehow I figured there wouldn't be anything but the song - but I kept hoping...

Harry

Herb31603.jpg

Herb31609.jpg

Herb31602.jpg

Herb31606.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom