HERB ON JAY LENO 3/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the whole thing was fabulous. Seeing Herb again live was just so thrilling. And I thought the band sounded great. The brass section was really growling at the end --- loved it!
I haven't picked up Rewhipped yet, but will do so tomorrow. And I guarantee you that Herb will see a jump in sales after this appearance.
---SteveM

when he reached back at the end, striking a pose so reminscent of many a TJB cover and his playing smile, it made me....well, let's just say the I smiled because the song had begun...:)

but will someone smack Leno for continually mispronouncing his name, and otherwise not giving the man some face time?

I have to admit that seeing it made me appreciate listening to Rewhipped more today on my mp3 player...

#14 in Jazz category on amazon...

I was annoyed that Leno didn't have enough respect for HA to at least ask him one question about the CD.

From a woman's point of view, Herb is still one damn sexy man! Love the way he stands when he's playing his horn... :D

I,too,am grateful for Steve's photos. One of my part-time jobs kept me away from home till fairly late and I missed the show,though I had returned home in time for the show. Geez,I even had the tube on with a junk VCR tape in(which I keep standing for times like this)and flipped through a couple of Leno's jokes(it seems that nowadays the phrase "Brokeback Mountain" comes out of his mouth any time I flip by that show), but I forgot that this was the Alpert night and turned the set off.
Like Harry was talking about SNL reruns showing up on NBC overnight on the Corrs TV topic,NBC reruns another Leno show during the night and they tend to be just a few weeks(days?) old(probably "Brokeback Mountain" would be a giveaway as to the age of the show)so maybe it will show up again soon.
As others have mentioned,it is a chore to watch a Leno show in real time. To think that Kevin Eubanks was once a BlueNote recording artist. Hopefully,after the Leno gig ends when Conan O'Brian takes over in 2030,Kevin can do what Doc Severinsen does today and pick and choose his musical path. Mac

I might get smacked for saying this but... Herb! Get a razor!

--Mr Bill

Unhappy with the way Herb was presented? You say Soupy Sales always gives his Musical Guests of Honor more Recognition and Respect?

Do like I did and send an eMail to:

Dave :neutral:inkshield:

Emailing the Tonight Show is going to do absolutely nothing. They presented Herb the same way they present other musical guests. You have to realize that the average modern Tonight Show viewer was probably not around during Herb's glory days, so it's no surprise he didn't get an interview.

Because I missed the scheduled broadcast,I went to NBC's website to see about a possible rescheduling of the show. It seems that they call the extra airings of their late night schedule,"Up Late With NBC" ,which included another Conan show and something called Last Call. They only post a schedule through email,so if I see this episode rescheduled,I 'll post here. BTW,they have a numeration system for all episodes and,though not listed on the website at this moment,the Alpert show is logged as Season 14,episode 3090.Mac

When Leno or Letterman have a legend perform (what would be nice) is have HA do a hit medley right after the monolog, "Whipped Cream", "Spanish Flea", and "A Taste of Honey" to re-introduce to da stuff to the "yutes". Then a short interview then the "new release". Then they can do the "top 10" (that really isn't that funny) or the "Jay Walking gag" etc.

Historically, 50 to 70% of the audience drops after the monolog. So the last 2 minutes and 14 seconds (or whatever) there is very little audience. And most of those people don't have jobs, and as you'al know the unemployment rate is below 5%. :freak:

You're right. I don't usually watch Leno but I tape Letterman for later watching. I rarely watch the musical act, even on tape, unless it's someone I'm interested in.

BTW - I googled up the Conan takeover date - it is 2009 for sure. Leno will be 80 years old in 2030. Even Carson didn't go that long! :D

hey captain! great photos!yeah,i saw it(i got in just in time too;considering i work latenight)i was really disappointed when herb wasn't interviewed;jay had done it with pat metheny awhile back!i thoght he would have talked to herb about his induction into the rock n roll hall of fame,but still it was good to see herb playing!(in order for herb to hit the charts again,he'd have to go on oprah;it worked for chris botti!)

oops!!!sorry steve!thank YOU for the great photos!!! i got confused with you and the captain,so don't hold it against me!!!

Mike-Just a litle humor about Conan taking over the "Tonight Show". I was always aware of the date being 2009,but the situation is hilarious. To keep Conan from jumping ship to another network,they promise him the plum spot and give Leno a graceful way of leaving. 2009? And they announced that in 2004. That is a lifetime and a half in network TV. By then,Letterman could be out, Jimmy Kimmel may just pick up a real audience made up of very valuable demos when ABC eventually pulls the plug on its Koppel-less "Nightline". And Rupert's Fox network may do something dramatic till then. Right now,Conan is the best of the lot(with a real kick-butt band in tow) and when he takes over "Tonight",Lorne Michaels probably will have some production credit over six nights of late night on NBC. Mac

It's hard to post anything on this thread that hasn't already been said.

1. Steve, the photos are terrific. Thanks for taking the time.

2. This may be the first time, ever, I've sat through an entire Jay Leno hour. I enjoy root canal more.

As well as Midwestern charm, Carson had class and knew how to interview his guests. Johnny, we hardly knew ye.

3. It was a joy to see The Man play again. I would say "a joy to listen," but the arrangement and vocalist were so in-your-face that HA seemed to me little more than a supporting player. It was as though the singer were the star—until the very end, when Herb quoted the burlesque–hall original. Then he shone.

4. I agree with the sartorially correct. A comb and a razor would have been nice. When the sidemen look better than the lead, it's time for the star to entertain. There. I said it.

5. I liked the fact that the people responsible for staging and operating the cameras angled and photographed the original LP cover in the background (see Steve's photos), so that you could see Delores, awash in a sea of green, still tasting her cream behind Herb's head. That was a very nice touch.

6. Although she was on our screens for a grand total of three seconds, I'd bet that Bree Condon will do for the remix what D. E. did for the original: namely, sell the record. Three minutes at the end of Leno may help, but it won't do the trick.

This weekend I really must listen to Rewhipped. I've owned it now for over a week and have been too busy to play it. If I thought Thursday night/Friday morning's arrangement were indicative of the entire album, I wouldn't be looking forward to the experience. But so many posters have praised the sound of the horn that I'm counting on not being disappointed.

I figured maybe that was a typo or something! :)

I don't agree Conan is the best (I take Letterman in that category) but Conan is still a lot better than Leno. I do agree the whole thing is stupid but I guess it's better than the way they handled the whole Carson>Leno mess.

When Leno or Letterman have a legend perform (what would be nice) is have HA do a hit medley right after the monolog.

I think Letterman would have Herb sit in with the band for the whole show.

I think way too much is being made of Herb's appearance, although I'm sure some comments are meant as tongue-in-cheek. I thought he looked like the consumate jazz musician, and played quite well. It beats that old leisure suit he wore in the 70's! :D

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
I think way too much is being made of Herb's appearance, although I'm sure some comments are meant as tongue-in-cheek. I thought he looked like the consumate jazz musician, and played quite well. It beats that old leisure suit he wore in the 70's! :D

To be sure, the sound is is what matters most. Mr. Alpert is one classy gentlman. I only wish that on Thursday night he hadn't reminded me of Gabby Hayes.

On the other hand, if given the choice between Sinatra, who looked like a million and acted like a thug, and Herb, who acts like a saint even when he looks a bit derelict, I'll take the latter every time.

I think Letterman would have Herb sit in with the band for the whole show.
Right, and all the songs going in and out of commercial would have been TJB tunes (plus "Rise," probably). Herb....CALL DAVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom