HERB ON JAY LENO 3/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike-Actually,we are probably on the same wavelength about Letterman. He is my favorite of the current bunch of talk show hosts. His show is the one closest to Carson in so many ways,not just "Stump the Band". But some of those rigorous bits he gets saddled into just need to disappear. I know these bits are because of pressure from CBS to have Leno-like inserts. Leno's show is way too "hot"-fast,busy,loud and glitzy-exactly what you don't need while winding down from the day.
My pick for Conan as best is based on a variety of things,not the least of which is he has taken a premise that no one thought could work-"Simpsons" writer becomes host-and turned it into a unique show that no one(I think even Conan)saw coming. It's just strange enough,hip enough and still in the "talk show" tradition to signal that he really is the heir apparent to the 11:30 time slot.
A note about Letterman-My daughter works in Manhattan and on the eve of the first anniversary of 9/11,she was walking by the Ed Sullivan theater and the show staff were begging people to come in for the next day taping. She told me that I was right about the band-they were the best thing about the show and the intro/outros were the best of the best. But I had to explain to her the importance of guest Marianne Faithfull like I had to explain to her about Janis Joplin. When my daughter was a teenager she caught a clip of Janis wailing at Woodstock. What was that all about,Dad? Now she knows....Mac

I agree, the worst parts of Letterman are those insert bits that sort of look like political commercials. I think my favorite of all the "extra features" on the show are the "Pat & Kenny Read Oprah Transcripts" bits. Pat & Kenny are funny every time. Actually most stuff that involves the staff of the show is funny, I think.

Letterman has developed into a very good interviewer too. I really enjoy whenever he has a newsperson or a politician on. He's good at working both sides of an issue and getting the issue into everyman-type terms so it can be understood. I think most of the people who criticize his interviewing probably haven't watched him lately.

Anyway - back on topic - I sent a note to the Late Show website suggesting they get Herb on. The site says that SOMEONE will read every mail, so nothing to lose! (www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow)

Letterman just did a big budget musical number with Martin Short parodying Barry Manilow's "Copacabana". The subject: people who who you'll never see on Letterman-like Schwarzenegger,Cheney and Martin Scorsese. Good thing Herb wasn't included yet.
BTW,the Leno show from 3/16 will be repeated overnight this Thursday,March 23,(actually going into Friday,the 24th)at 2:05AM,EST. The pattern seems to be one week delayed. Mac

I was fortunate enough to pick up this show about a week ago in the UK on Sky. Herb looked and played great (is he really 71?).

What an idiot Leno was calling him "Albert". And I thought he could have found some time for a quick chat too....but then again if you do not even know your guest artists' names.....

Len

lswilson99 said:
What an idiot Leno was calling him "Albert". And I thought he could have found some time for a quick chat too....but then again if you do not even know your guest artists' names.....

The same thing happened in '92 and Herb quickly corrected him that it was Alpert. Jay got it right the rest of that night. I guess Jay's chin got in the way a couple of weeks ago.... :tongue:

Capt. Bacardi

It makes the host look unprofessional when they make repeated gaffes with someones name. In any venue -getting the name correct is a matter of respect, professionalism and courtesy - Jay "Leeno" should know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom