How would you rank Carpenters albums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a quick question? Which solo lp did you like better? KAREN CARPENTER or TIME? I didn't include these in the survey for obvious reasons. And realistically, they're each in a class of their own.
If I had to pick, I would be forced to choose KC for the simple reasons that it was innovative, and Karen's voice was instantly recognizable. On TIME, Richard had three tracks with guest singers, which made the album seem like a 'producer album'. Each of the guest vocal tracks could've just as easily been on any of their respective albums, and it would simply appear to be produced by Richard Carpenter.
Also, KC had 12 tracks, 10 of which were listenable (the exceptions being the lame "All Because Of You" and "Still In Love With You"); versus 10 tracks on TIME, only 9 listenable (the exception being the hurl-inspiring "That's What I Believe").
Both are good albums, indeed. But neither compares to Close To You, A Song For You or Horizon on any day.

Here's a quick question? Which solo lp did you like better? KAREN CARPENTER or TIME? I didn't include these in the survey for obvious reasons. And realistically, they're each in a class of their own.
If I had to pick, I would be forced to choose KC for the simple reasons that it was innovative, and Karen's voice was instantly recognizable. On TIME, Richard had three tracks with guest singers, which made the album seem like a 'producer album'. Each of the guest vocal tracks could've just as easily been on any of their respective albums, and it would simply appear to be produced by Richard Carpenter.
Also, KC had 12 tracks, 10 of which were listenable (the exceptions being the lame "All Because Of You" and "Still In Love With You"); versus 10 tracks on TIME, only 9 listenable (the exception being the hurl-inspiring "That's What I Believe").
Both are good albums, indeed. But neither compares to Close To You, A Song For You or Horizon on any day.
I would choose KAREN CARPENTER if, for no other reason, that I prefer Karen's voice. I think that both solo albums were clearly underrated, and each has its inspired moments, with Karen's album having more of those. I agree with your assessment about neither album being comparable to Carpenters' albums.

You are all nuts. The top 10 albums are:

10. (tie) Voice of the Heart and Ticket To Ride ("Offering')
9. Christmas Portrait
8. Old Fashioned Christmas
7. Now and Then
6. A Song For You
5. Made In America
4. Carpenters
3. Lovelines
2. Horizon
1. Close to You

The rest, A Kind of Hush, Passage, and As Time Goes By, all have some "gems," but a list of top albums they do not make. Both Voice of the Heart and Ticket to Ride (my "No. 10's") probably fit in this category, too, but I had to come up with 10 to honor this threat topic and I couldn't choose which of these were the "best of the worst." Still like them all, however. If I had to rank them amongst best albums with other artists, they would probably rank higher.

TIME, by a mile! Reason being, other than vocals, Richard took advantage of his strengths; that is, writing, arranging, producing, and getting excellence out of other singers/musicians. Karen, in my opinion, did not capitalize on her strengths; that being, her voice (in particular, her lower register). Also, the material was WAY BELOW someone of her caliber as one of (if not the) greatest American singer of all time. Imagine Rosemary Clooney, or Ella Fitzgerald, or Patsy Cline singing the crap, throw away songs that Karen and Phil chose. Very disappointing.

I fall on the other side. I'll take Karen in any setting over Richard. The sound of her voice is why I became a fan. Richard's brilliant, but he is not a lead vocalist, in my opinion.
My bet is "Karen Carpenter" would have been the first of many solo releases had she lived. The chosen material was contemporary. Even though I do not like all the song choices, the arrangements are top notch.

1. Christmas Portrait (Original 1978 album Mix with NO choir on Ave Maria)
2. Horizon
3. Made In America
4. A Song For You
5. Close To You
6. Carpenters
7. Passage
8. Lovelines
9. A Kind Of Hush
10. Voice Of The Heart

Because I own and bought a SACD player (and not cheap...and now pretty obsolete) specifically for it's release
My all time favorite would be the Singles 1969-1983 SACD

TIME, by a mile! Reason being, other than vocals, Richard took advantage of his strengths; that is, writing, arranging, producing, and getting excellence out of other singers/musicians. Karen, in my opinion, did not capitalize on her strengths; that being, her voice (in particular, her lower register). Also, the material was WAY BELOW someone of her caliber as one of (if not the) greatest American singer of all time. Imagine Rosemary Clooney, or Ella Fitzgerald, or Patsy Cline singing the crap, throw away songs that Karen and Phil chose. Very disappointing.

I would agree with most of what you posted here.

The reason why it took me awhile to reply is because I wanted to take another listen to Karen's solo album, since I haven't played it in a while. I wanted to see if I had any change of heart since the last I've listened to it.

Well, after about a week or so of on and off playing the CD in it's entirety, I can honestly say that I still think it's a lackluster album. The album sound dated even for a 1980 release. It sounds more like a 1978 release than anything. Karen went from sounding "extraordinary" (as part of the "Carpenters"), to just plain "ordinary" (like someone doing a great impersonation of her).

The song "If We Try" (that's the song I like best in this album), sounds like it could have been an extra track from the Carpenters "Passage" album, which isn't a bad thing. But for everything else, it's like Phil Ramone couldn't make up his mind on what kind of sound he wanted here. If he wanted to make a unique sounding Karen, why did he try to make some of the songs sound so "Carpenter-like"?

I can finally understand what Herb Albert said about the album: He just wasn't feeling it. Neither did I.

Now with Richard's "Time" album, songs like "Remind Me To Tell You", "I'm Still Not Over You", and the instrumental "Time" would have felt right at home as album tracks of a Carpenters album if he decides to add his vocals like he used to do on the earlier albums. Especially "Calling Your Name, Again", and "Who Do You Love?"

"Calling Your Name Again" could have been a hit single.

For the people here who says that Richard isn't a good lead singer, who are you comparing him with? If you all comparing him with Karen, that is so unfair! It's like trying to compare the late Andy Williams to Kim Carnes. To me, he sounded just as good if not better than some of the other male lead singers that were around when this album was released.

Also, this album doesn't sound as dated as other albums that came out in that same period. I can still play it and people who are listening for the first time think it's something that just came out.

Danny

My Carpenters album ranks:

1. "An Old-Fashioned Christmas"
2. "Horizon"
3. "Made In America"
4. "Now And Then"
5. "Christmas Portrait"
6."Carpenters"
7. "A Song For You"
8. "Close To You"
9. "A Kind Of Hush"
10."Voice Of The Heart"

Danny

Calling Your Name Again was a single from TIME, the second single and got some airplay on easy listening stations.

Calling Your Name Again was a single from TIME, the second single and got some airplay on easy listening stations.

I know wikipedia isn't always completely reliable, but I did find these single releases c/w catalogue numbers here:

Something in Your Eyes" (featuring Dusty Springfield)
  • US 7" single (1987) – A&M 2940
  1. "Something in Your Eyes"
  2. "Time"
  • JP 7" promo (1987) – 5Y3056
  2. "Time"
  • AU 7" single (1987) – K289
  2. "Time"
"Who Do You Love?"
  • JP 7" promo (1987) – 7Y3076
  1. "Who Do You Love?"
  2. "When Time Was All We Had"
"Time"
  • US 7" promo (1988) – A&M 2998
  1. "Time"
  2. "Calling Your Name Again"

Not sure that last one is the right way around or that the catalogue number is right, because Suzanne Vega released a single with the same catalogue number listed here so one of them must be wrong:

"Gypsy"
  • US 7" promo (1987) - A&M 2998 (promo, same both sides, no p/s)
1. Gypsy (Single Version)

I know wikipedia isn't always completely reliable, but I did find these single releases c/w catalogue numbers here:

"Time"

• US 7" promo (1988) – A&M 2998
  1. "Time"
  2. "Calling Your Name Again"

So does it means that it was never officially released as a single? I've seen "promos" but they were only available for radio stations, and sometimes, I see them in jukeboxes. But never in record retailers.

Danny

So does it means that it was never officially released as a single? I've seen "promos" but they were only available for radio stations, and sometimes, I see them in jukeboxes. But never in record retailers.

"Promo" usually just refers to copies for the DJs and radio airplay. I'm not convinced that 'Calling Your Name Again' was actually released as a single. It certainly didn't chart on Billboard. The only true single from his album was 'Something In Your Eyes'.

Weirdly though I did once see 'Calling Your Name Again' included on an 80s rock ballads compilation and was amazed. I guess it was included as the tracklist might have been based on radio airplay popularity rather than chart success.

I'm not convinced that 'Calling Your Name Again' was actually released as a single.

Well, you will be now:
scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

As you can see, the AM-2998 is correct. It clearly says "DOUBLE SIDED SINGLE," so hopes were that both would get airplay and chart. "Time" is listed as the A-side as far as matrix numbers go.

Harry

Thanks for posting those Harry! :thumbsup:. Was it ever actually released as a single you could buy off the shelves in stores, as opposed to this promo copy? I guess that was the point I was trying to make. I'm not sure how it worked in those days. If the promo got lots of airplay, did a general 45 release follow?

I guess that explains why it showed up on that US 80s compilation I saw. Someone I know once said they thought Richard's vocal on 'Calling Your Name Again' reminded them of Peter Cetera. Very light and airy (and double tracked).

Strange they picked 'Time' as a double A-side choice, given that it was an instrumental track. I often tried to write lyrics to it when I was younger, convinced there was a good lyric to be had. I wonder if Richard ever enlisted anyone to try during the recording of it, or whether he always saw it as an instrumental. My guess is the latter. Always loved how he mixed the synths with piano.

Thanks for posting those Harry! :thumbsup:. Was it ever actually released as a single you could buy off the shelves in stores, as opposed to this promo copy?

I couldn't say. My suspicion is that if it DID get a general stock release, it would be pretty rare since it went nowhere on any charts. As I understand things, a record that went to promo status had its place in the order of things with its catalog and matrix number, but whether or not they ever actually pressed any is open to speculation until one turns up.

I CAN say that both of the Richard Carpenter singles were pressed on the see-through, audiophile, Quiex II vinyl, making for very nice pressings.

Harry

For the people here who says that Richard isn't a good lead singer, who are you comparing him with? If you all comparing him with Karen, that is so unfair! It's like trying to compare the late Andy Williams to Kim Carnes. To me, he sounded just as good if not better than some of the other male lead singers that were around when this album was released.

You know, that is an excellent point. Compared to Karen's lead vocals, which I agree is unfair, Richard is no Karen; however, he ISN'T Karen. And true, compared to many male vocalists of the late 80's, Richard is, at least, just as good. In fact, I'll go out on a limb here and say Richard is a far better lead vocalist than Rod Stewart and Joe Cocker by a mile. To this day, I can not understand how such aweful singers were/are so popular...but I digress. Richard's voice, in my opinion, is more akin to Phil Collins in the quality department.

When I listen to Time, I certainly DO hear the direction the Carpenters sound could have taken at that time; Karen's lead on some of the songs, the return of the overdubbed vocals, and the quality of the songs and arrangements may have put them back on the charts. Who can say. It's all speculation at this point.

Alan Parsons' Project's singer Eric Woolfson (in the 80's) reminded me of Richard's vocal style.

Alan Parsons' Project's singer Eric Woolfson (in the 80's) reminded me of Richard's vocal style.

Thanks for posting this, song4u! Coincidentally, I remember an interview Richard gave in the 1980s, in which he was asked about his favorite recording artists of the time. He mentioned the Alan Parsons Project...

I remember an interview Richard gave in the 1980s, in which he was asked about his favorite recording artists of the time. He mentioned the Alan Parsons Project...
I think it was also in the fan club newsletter. He was asked who he was listening to at the time and he mentioned Alan Parson's Projects' album "Eye in the Sky", and Donald Fagen's "Night Fly" album, which I still enjoy listening to. He also mentioned in an interview that the group "Air Supply" had a Carpenters-like sound.

Calling Your Name Again was co-written by Richard Marx, who also had some big hits around the same time the single was released. The stations I remember hearing it on were in LA, easy listening giant KOST 103-FM and KBIG 104-FM
But it didn't get played for long, as it did not take off. BUT, at the time I thought, "well, maybe he will have a hit."
I never saw it in the record store as a single, though. And I looked.

Richard and Joe Cocker are totally different singers in just about every conceivable way. They are incomparable. Joe Cocker is an incredible interpreter. Listen to "Feelin' Alright" if you need proof of his prowess.

Richard's talents were and remain as a producer (and a damned good one). And his harmonies with Karen were wonderful. I think if he arranged some of his tunes in a lower key, he would sound much better. Just my opinion. But I did like 'Time", and wished he had used more guest vocalists, as the songs with Dionne, Dusty and Scott Grimes were great. I did like "I'm Still Not Over You". And I LOVED the instrumental, "Time". What a beautiful song.

"Time" is a fantastic instrumental. Remains one of my favorites to this day. Richard did an amazing job on that track. As for his vocals, in MY opinion only, they were always so doubled and over doubled, even on the Carpenters albums that he just sounded like a great background singer, not a lead vocalist. When you took away the reverb and doubling on missing in action tracks like "Toyland" he sounds really nice! Toyland had emotion to it. A lot of "Time" was so overproduced to perfection that his vocals lost feeling to my ears.
Agree 100% that Richard is a Superb arranger, producer and pianist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom