How would you rank Carpenters albums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, man! I have to rank the albums of my favorite artists?? That's tough; I believe each album has its shining moment or shining moments. That said, I tend to be drawn towards their earlier material. Without racking my brain too much, I can pull at least five albums I take for a spin most often. :)

1. Close To You: I love the cover, I love the material. Simple as that.
Favorite single(s):"(They Long to Be) Close to You"/"We've Only Just Begun" Favorite non-single:"Mr. Guder"

2. A Song For You: this one fights with Close To You for favorite spot. I think this is the only other album I play in its entirety.
Favorite single(s): Uhhhh... all of them Favorite non-single:"Road Ode"

3. Ticket to Ride/Offering: I possess both copies. However you call it, its raw, early-Carpenters sound has an awesome edge.
Favorite single:"Ticket to Ride": Favorite non-single(s):"Don't Be Afraid", "All I Can Do", "Your Wonderful Parade"

4. Now and Then: Say what you will, but I love the oldies medley. The Carpenters introduced me to a lot of these older singers and Richard is killer with medleys; not to mention the sweet serenade by Karen on all tracks (by voice and drums)!
Favorite single(s):"Sing", "Yesterday Once More" Favorite non-single(s):"This Masquerade", "Johnny Angel"

5. Carpenters: three simple reasons to love: "Superstar", "Rainy Days and Mondays", and "For All We Know".
Favorite single(s): The three mentioned above Favorite non-single(s):"(A Place to) Hideaway", "Bacharach/David Medley"

I take Horizon and others for a listen every now and then (hahahaha), but I really listen to more from those albums individually. Horizon has fantastic, crisp sound and Passage I like for its uniqueness. I don't listen to A Kind of Hush (although I love the title single) and Made in America ("Touch Me", "When It's Gone") much, sorry to say. Their Christmas albums are not included simply because I love them too much to rank. Voice of the Heart, Karen's and/or Richard's solo efforts are material a part of me wants to listen to, but another part finds it territory difficult to tread through -- so I usually don't go there.

I'm going almost strictly with their non-holiday studio albums (I consider their Christmas albums to be a different genre) which were released during Karen's lifetime:

1. "Close to You"
2. "A Song for You"
3. "Horizon"
4. "Carpenters"
5. "The Singles: 1969-1973" (even though it's a compilation, I include it because of its innovative bridging of some of the songs and its magnificent reworking of "Ticket to Ride")
6. "Ticket to Ride"
7. "Now & Then"
8. "Passage"
9. "A Kind of Hush"
10. "Made in America"

I would rank the posthumous releases as follows:

1. "Lovelines"
2. "As Time Goes By"
3. "Voice of the Heart"

And for the Christmas albums:

1. "Christmas Portrait"
2. "An Old-Fashioned Christmas"

1. Horizon (without a doubt, the most polished work ever produced by the Carpenters. Bar none. IMHO)

It's doubtful in my honest opinion as to whether or not there's another album from the 70s - PERIOD - that possesses the sonic quality and production value of this record. Anyone care to dialog a bit about it?

Ranking the albums has always been tough for me, because albums will fall in and out of favor over time. Plus, when I look at what I actually listen to -- based on my iTunes library -- I find that I'm playing some of the compilations a lot more than the studio albums. The Singles: 1969-1973, The Essential Collection: 1965-1997 and Interpretations seem to get a lot more listening time with me lately.

As for the "official" studio albums, excluding the Christmas albums, here's my ranking:

12) As Time Goes By -- glad to have this material on CD, but just not a great "album."

11) Made In America -- at the time, it was a huge disappointment, given what was going on in popular music in 1981. And it hasn't aged well at all.

10) A Kind of Hush -- too much bad material on this one. "You" is the single redeeming moment of this album.

9) Horizon -- a lot of people seem to love this album, and I don't get it. The "edge" was gone from the Carpenters' sound, and the material is listless.

8) Passage -- this is the album that would change places in this list most often. Sometimes I really, really like it, and other times I just don't care for it. After much of the limp material on Horizon and Hush, this album usually feels refreshing to me. But not always.

7) Now & Then -- love side 1, not so fond of side 2. If the oldies medley had been left out in favor of more "contemporary" material, this album would rank quite a bit higher.

6) Voice of the Heart -- while this album wasn't up to the production standards of earlier Carpenters albums, it has some great songs. I find I play it a lot more often than the above albums.

5) Lovelines -- some EXCELLENT material here. Why many of these songs were left off albums in favor of other songs just boggles my mind. And it holds up remarkably well as an "album."

4) Offering/Ticket to Ride -- while still a little rough-sounding, the material is very interesting and the production is pretty amazing, given the primitive technology of the era.

3) Carpenters -- with a couple of changes, this would be my favorite Carpenters album. The truncated, rushed version of the "Bacharach/David Medley" really detracts from this album's charm. "Druscilla Penny" is also a throwaway, in my opinion. A couple of better songs in place of these would have made for a perfect album.

2) Close to You -- an almost-pefect album. I like the darkness of this album. There's an edginess here that fell away in later years. What holds this back from being #1 is simply the fact that Karen's voice hadn't quite matured to what I consider the full "adult" Karen Carpenter.

1) A Song for You -- I think this one wins simply due to the sheer volume of great songs, and the fact that the album feels "complete." It has a beginning, a middle and an end, and there's a progression to the songs that really works. The darkness is still there, along with fantastic production and incredible singing. What I like best about this album is that there just isn't any "filler" -- every (full) song on this album, with the exception of "Piano Picker," sounds worthy of being a single. And most of the songs WERE singles.

If I were to be completely honest, I'd rank The Singles: 1969-1973 as the #1 Carpenters album. Utter perfection from start to finish.

David
Re - the Singles, 1969-1973 - - What a sweet surprise for all of us with that surprising intro to the album....

I was shocked and beautifully surprised with the intro - and still love it to this day.... Only the Carpenters would have and could have managed such an elegant treatment to open such a momentous album...

Thank you, Richard!

It's doubtful in my honest opinion as to whether or not there's another album from the 70s - PERIOD - that possesses the sonic quality and production value of this record. Anyone care to dialog a bit about it?

It really is unparalleled in terms of production and rich, aural dimension. It's produced just right - not too much, not too little - and Karen hit a new emotional peak in 1975, giving some of the most spectacular performances of her career. There's that power and edge to her voice (and the music) that mellowed out the following year and beyond, so you have to thank Richard for surrounding this chapter of her voice with the sharpest and gorgeous arrangements/productions ever.

Some of her best vocals are in the second half of the 70s-early 80s, but the early 70s "over-singing" she accused herself of is where her voice had the most straightforward, emotive power. And that early style is captured at its all time peak on "Horizon", before AKOH changed things.

Well, this isn't necessarily how I'd subjectively list these albums, but I'm looking objectively at the music as a whole.

The way I usually do this is to image a group of 6 of my friends and try to think which album would be the best argument against the ANTI-CARPENTERS vibe still present in certain woefully uneducated circles.

1)Close To You
2)A Song 4 U
3)Christmas Portrait
4)Horizon
5)Carpenters
6)Passage
7=)Now and Then/Made In America
9)Offering
10A Kind of Hush

Luckily we have 40/40 where Richard gets to pick the best 1/3 of their output, so I usually just lend that out to mates these days.

"Only Yesterday" reminds me a bit of what ABBA was doing a few years later, and Phil Spector years earlier, but there's a precision about it that's absent in the distortion of those others' recordings. Sounds silly, but I'm blown away by those acoustic guitar chords after "baby, baby"...I don't think acoustic guitars have ever been recorded better than they were on that track and "Happy". Horizon sounded so good on vinyl that I didn't get the same "wow" from it on CD that I have with most other CD reissues of 1970s-era albums. It was just so good from day one that it couldn't sound any better.

I agree Chris. Anything of HORIZON's caliber would've seen release. I wonder why with 24 then 48 track on the scene the albums didn't have this level of production quality? The sound in 75's release is unsurpassed by anything in the catalog. MADE IN AMERICA sounds "fresher" on some tracks but the leads are buried in the mix.

I previewed this thread to see if I put in my take on this stuff and forgive me if I missed previous jabber. However, with time my rank list of appreciation has evolved and the list has subsequently changed.

1) Horizon
2) Offering ( re-listening I love this launch)
3) Christmas Portrait
4) Close To You
5) A Song For You ( although if I want singles I go to SINGLES comps.) Here I wait for
Intermission, Crystal Lullaby n Road Ode.
6) As Time Goes By ( I thoroughly enjoy this presentation reminiscent of earlier efforts with
Richard's intermittent solos and Karen's leads. Novelty & Thanks RC)
7) CarpenterS ( took the Grammy...what more can I say?)
8) Now and Then
9) Made In America
10) Lovelines (again novelty and a long awaited pleasure)
11) A Kind Of Hush
12) Voice of the Heart ( it depresses me regardless of tunes. Although I love YOUR BABY
and TWO LIVES.
13) Passage ( a disappointment particularly in '77 reminiscent of AM radio and mono)

Compilations:
The Singles sacd '69 -'81
Essential Collection
40/40
Sweet Memory
40th anniversary box set

tho solo I put KAREN CARPENTER near the top of this list. After all it is half Carpenter(S)

Last edited:
I agree Chris. Anything of HORIZON's caliber would've seen release. I wonder why with 24 then 48 track on the scene the albums didn't have this level of production quality? The sound in 75's release is unsurpassed by anything in the catalog. MADE IN AMERICA sounds "fresher" on some tracks but the leads are buried in the mix.

I previewed this thread to see if I put in my take on this stuff and forgive me if I missed previous jabber. However, with time my rank list of appreciation has evolved and the list has subsequently changed.

1) Horizon
2) Offering ( re-listening I love this launch)
3) Christmas Portrait
4) Close To You
5) A Song For You ( although if I want singles I go to SINGLES comps.) Here I wait for
Intermission, Crystal Lullaby n Road Ode.
6) As Time Goes By ( I thoroughly enjoy this presentation reminiscent of earlier efforts with
Richard's intermittent solos and Karen's leads. Novelty & Thanks RC)
7) CarpenterS ( took the Grammy...what more can I say?)
8) Now and Then
9) Made In America
10) Lovelines (again novelty and a long awaited pleasure)
11) A Kind Of Hush
12) Voice of the Heart ( it depresses me regardless of tunes. Although I love YOUR BABY
and TWO LIVES.
13) Passage ( a disappointment particularly in '77 reminiscent of AM radio and mono)

Compilations:
The Singles sacd '69 -'81
Essential Collection
40/40
Sweet Memory
40th anniversary box set

tho solo I put KAREN CARPENTER near the top of this list. After all it is half Carpenter(S)

Well now wait a minute - don't get me wrong, I didn't say that every song was a "hit" - I merely was implying that sonically and from a production standpoint, the album beats the rest. It IS nice that it sports a couple of hits as well so all in all, that ain't bad! :)

I wonder why with 24 then 48 track on the scene the albums didn't have this level of production quality? The sound in 75's release is unsurpassed by anything in the catalog. MADE IN AMERICA sounds "fresher" on some tracks but the leads are buried in the mix.

Honestly guys, A&M had just done a major remodel in and around '74, and for as tired as they were from all that touring, I think Richard and the guys down there were like kids in a candy store - I really do! The mics they were using, the ability to go stereo with the overheads on the drums, stereo on piano, more comfortable vocal bouncing (and remember, by now they were no long triple tracking each backing vocal, now it was only doubling each part, which "un-clutters" things a bit.

I just think they had a sonic recharge that came thru loud and clear. Remember, studio "D" also was built that year, and "D" had it's own isolation booth with airlock, which meant they didn't have to set up a makeshift room off to the side for Karen to sing work-leads in while the drums, bass and piano were being recorded. So you have this whole new setup, MADE for exactly how they liked to make records, better microphone preamps; it was just a number of factors.

Then along comes "Hush". THAT'S where you hear the exhaustion and sickness begin to really take toll IMHO. SAME studio as Horizon, SAME mics, SAME preamps, SAME engineers. DIFFERENT Karen and Richard by then unfortunately I believe.

Last edited:
I agree, Chris. As much as I think many parts of Hush were beautiful, you could see they were a bit spent.

So in '76 and '77 the individual illnesses brought on this mono-like effort. Still with Christmas Portrait we're back in the game. Reportedly Richard has stated that in '78 this effort should've been Karen Carpenter as he was in rocky shape. So maybe with Karen as associate producer here for the last time SHE pulled it off. I don't know for certain clearly. But the break of studio mastery and the "kids in the candy store" (respectfully) forgot to turn on the stereo. Also, I agree at HUSH outing the toll was more than obvious on the albums inner picture sleeve. I've always thought Karen looked drawn and tired and those dark circles under her eyes. Having no clue of forecast I assumed that the weight loss, cancelled tour and exhaustion from year previous was the culprit. Little did I know. The fan club letters were so carefully worded. Which I understand. They weren't mailed out to detail addiction and eating disorders. I think at that juncture in my young life I would've been too distraught to fully wrap my head around the situation. Not enough life experience. To this day it's a tricky act to figure out the whys and ifs? So bouncing back to my ultimate question what happened studio-wise to Passage? If I was alone in notice I'd shut-up. Perhaps the only concrete answer will or won't come from RC himself. I wonder if someone like MOTOWNBOY could work some magic circa 1977? I'm just not clever enough to do it.

Well now wait a minute - don't get me wrong, I didn't say that every song was a "hit" - I merely was implying that sonically and from a production standpoint, the album beats the rest. It IS nice that it sports a couple of hits as well so all in all, that ain't bad! :)

What I meant was not limited to hits but overall production value from these sessions.

SHM-CD Passage.....by the way, sounds fine.
And, to this day, Richard Carpenter stands by Made In America as their finest production.
(Play the Vinyl Horizon, follow it with the aforementioned 1981 release.....what a difference...).
Who listens to the playbacks in the studio?
who sequenced the songs on the albums?
who selected the songs ?
who listened to the test pressings?
who ultimately gave the Okay for their release ?
These albums (1969-1981) were released as they are , and therefore, as is customary,
the responsibility (as Coleman adamantly describes) rests with the Producer.
We got what we got because that is the way they were intended.

This remains a tough exercise--ranking the studio albums:
I find I am unable to reach a conclusion for my own listing;
however, it should be noted that my opinion of Made In America
has changed drastically, in that I hold it in higher regard than previously.
(IMHO, its major shortcoming being some terrible arranging! Karen's vocals up-front, please !).
The self-titled tan album...well, too short and marred by Druscilla Penny and Saturday-- much too trite.
Now & Then, eject Heather and it moves up my ladder.
The LP, A Song For You, suffers a bit with Flat Baroque and Piano Picker---situated amongst a stellar line-up.
Horizon, almost perfection.....too bad Desperado suffers with its arrangement.
Passage, for myself, has moved down a bit, in that I understand the consensus--I'll say it's still a favorite, but,
many pertinent comments have amply codified it's deficiencies.
No matter, there are plenty of magical moments on each album.
"Two Sides to every situation...one sees the wrong, one sees the right".....

I'm responding late to this one because I really had to think about this. Such a hard thing to do.
I would have to say # 1 has to be A Song For You. This one is loaded with hits, plus it has 2 of my favorite album tracks with Crystal Lullaby and Road Ode. This is the one that is most enjoyable for me to listen to without a break. Voice Of The Heart follows, simply because it was the first true Carpenters album (besides The Singles 69-73 & Christmas Portrait) that I bought, and it is the one that bought me into the world of the Carpenters. I think I would have to place Ticket To Ride, Close To You & Carpenters (the Tan album) tied for the next position. These 3 albums were produced during my favorite period in their career. More "raw" than their later "polished" works. I'd pick Lovelines for # 6. It was nice to hear KC solo works, and never release Carpenters songs in that setting, although I felt, and still do feel, that the standards When I Fall In Love and Little Girl Blue were out of place. # 7 goes to Horizon. I really like that album, even though I'm not all that crazy about their version of Desperado. Knowing what I know now, I think I would have enjoyed Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again much more in its place. Passage was the first album I got after Voice Of The Heart. Even though I had heard of the hit songs, I never really heard them on the radio, except for Sweet Sweet Smile, which I heard on country radio. I was surprised at the style, because it was so off from VOTH. I was truly excited about it. And to hear them do a song I had previously heard be done by The Grateful Dead (no kidding) in Man Smart, Woman Smarter, it was amazing...and much better in my opinion. That's # 8. Made In America gets my # 9 vote. Although this album has a lot of great songs, I don't think that this was going to be the direction they should have taken to carry them through the 80's (had Karen survived). Many acts that were popular when they were popular in the 70's had adjusted successfully to the changes in music that was taking place at that time. Olivia Newton-John was fashionable in the first half of the 80's due to the change in her image and music. Elton John also saw a resurgence, as well as Chicago. And even though Touch Me When We're Dancing was a respectable hit, I think they would have been better off releasing (Want You) Back In My Life Again as the lead single. I think an up-tempo song would have made a greater impact. And I think rehashing the old was a drawback, also. Those Good Old Dreams = Top Of The World. Beechwood = Please Mr. Postman. Nevertheless, MIA = Good album. Now & Then gets # 10. If it wasn't for Tony Peluso's annoying DJ bit, this may have ranked higher with me. But it does contain the best-ever version of This Masquerade...and I love hearing Karen singing Our Day Will Come (I was so happy to find the full version of this, without the DJ bit). Lastly, at # 11, has to be A Kind Of Hush. Unfortunately, this is the one I listen to the least. To me, it just drags...with really only 2 up-tempo songs; the one that opens the album and the one that closes the album. Everything in between, albeit great songs, just seem to drag out. (*Sorry, I neglected to mention Goofus, the mid-tempo embarrassment).
I purposely excluded the Christmas albums, compilation albums & As Time Goes By (I feel this to be simply a compilation album)

Well, wow! To actually say in print what I think I've got to in my head? OK!

1. Close To You (No question)
2. A Song For You (so good!)
3. Offering (great opening upon which i wish they'd built further)
4. Horizon (Mostly great collection with potential)
5. Passage (ambition and passion make them feel alive again)
6. Christmas Portrait (original version) (Carries over from Passage; such energy and beauty)
7. Carpenters (Has hits, but it feels a bit like scraps after Superstar and Monday)
8. A Kind of Hush (Tired due to exhaustion and drugs, but it has potential, alas)
9. As Time Goes By (More scraps but so much fun!)
10. Lovelines (It has its moments, but)
11. Voice of the Heart (Too little too soon)
12. Made in America (I don't know, it just leaves me cold, untouched; though I want to like it. I don't know.)

There are a lot of perspectives, but I really like Mr. J's explanations. Plus, I totally agree with Chris May over Horizon and often recommend that album to listeners today who want introduced to Karen, with the Christmas songs next. Then, A Song For You, Close To You, As Time Goes By and Passage, Interpretations, Loveliness, Carpenters, Now and Then/A Kind of Hush, and some of the remixes showcase the songs better. I like Close To You for all the harmony in the overdubs and light jazz feel, and A Song For You for all those songs have a special appeal, especially A Song For You, Crystal Lullaby, and I Won't Last A Day Without You, and each song moves into the next one with grace.
I really like Somebody's Been Lyin' from Made in America, and Ordinary Fool from Voice of the Heart, so Made in America and Voice of the Heart would tie with Offering since I really like the Invocation and Benediction. Now, I like the others too, and play them depending on my mood. I also like Live at the Palladium, and liked it better on vinyl so I could easily slow it some on the turntable, as I did on A Kind of Hush - I like all the Live we now know of, too!
I have both the solo efforts and enjoy them at times, but prefer Karen's on the songs that use her lower register, and also enjoy Richard's for they focus on the 'Carpenters sound', but remind me that Karen was not around to record them, for example, I can really imagine hearing her on Who Do You Love!
It's hard to rank them when there are so many excellent choices, but after Horizon with the richness of Karen's voice easily on display, then the majestic Christmas albums, then the focus of the Carpenters magic on Close To You and A Song For You will easily lead anyone to want to hear more! After all, they are all timeless and not a day goes by without a Carpenters tune in my rotation of selections. They are all a treasure! I have no doubt that if Karen had lived the ebb and tide of

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom