• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

I thought they didn't make 45's anymore??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they still make 45s but not like they used to. In Sterophile magazine there is a whole page of Jazz 45s and there are plenty of them on the web.

There are scarce as new LPs now, but at least they still make them.

Could these possibly be imports? All the LPs that I bought at Virgin Megastore were made in UK.

Tim Neely would know. :wink: There are very limited press runs, but yes, some 45s are still pressed.

Don't confuse these, though, with LPs that are mastered at 45RPM. Entirely different animal.

So if Richard Carpenter really wanted he could release stuff on limited edition 45's of songs that were never released on 45's before, right?

...realizing that money can talk, online...

It's certainly possible! But with so many people (Carpenter fans) having CD players and not as much LP playback equipment, they might not sell so well.

I think Richard might be suprised if he offered something like this on his own official website. He'd probably sell out. He could do alot of things with limited edition material.

But then again he'd first have to get a website of the Carpenters. :shock: But I doubt that ever happening. But still if he did something like that & sold them off ebay, now there's a crazy idea, that wouldn't sell would it? :D :D :D

I love my turntable- there is not a day that goes by that I don't use it. I would really love to have limited edition 45s and LPs!

Till my friend Tim chimes in here,yes,Virginia,there are 45s in current production. Remember that even the existance of a single in any format(CD,cassette,or vinyl) is a bit hard to find but there is still a market for vinyl 45s for jukeboxes & collectors and 12" mix versions for DJs. The record companies do not feel that this part of the market cannibalizes their precious full length versions. Virtually all forms of recorded vinyl are sold on a non-return basis-that means that a store or chain must be able to sell whatever it buys and cannot even return defective material so it is a gamble few risk. But companies like Gotham(Collectables or www.oldies.com) still do an OK business in both current and new pressings of past hits to justify the gamble. It never really completely went away and sometimes a vinyl 45 is the only way a single is ever available as just that-a single. Mac

Yes, there are still new 45s being made, by American companies. And every once in a while, they are even kind of nice, with cardboard picture sleeves and the whole nine yards.

Most often, though, they come on a white label with a company logo and a bar code.

The two most frequent companies with new 45s are:
-- Universal country labels (Mercury, MCA Nashville, Dreamworks)
-- Arista/BMG pop labels (Arista, So So Def, J, sometimes RCA)

Since American Idol started, there have been legitimate U.S. 45s by Kelly Clarkson, Ruben Studdard and Clay Aiken (and there's one by Josh Gracin coming soon). No matter what you think of the show, it's the best thing to happen to 45s in years.

Because of Universal continuing to make country 45s, every hit single George Strait has ever had is on a 45, and all but maybe one or two of Shania Twain's singles are, too.

My teenage son was delighted to find that one of his favourite bands had released their latest single on both Cd and 45. He bought the vinyl "Because it's cool...rare....a thing to collect."

He doesn't even have a record player!

TonyCurrie said:
My teenage son was delighted to find that one of his favourite bands had released their latest single on both Cd and 45. He bought the vinyl "Because it's cool...rare....a thing to collect."

He doesn't even have a record player!

Yeah...not long ago, my fifteen-year-old nephew, whose father happens to be a well known local disc jockey, encountered a stack of my old 45s. "These are awesome!" he said excitedly. "Hey! I didn't know they made 78s when you were a kid!" :mad:

Humbled, I explained that it was a 45, not a 78. Furthermore, they DID make 78s when I was young, most usually kids records.

We've come a long way, Baby!

Jon

RCA used to sell a small changer that played only 45s. In fact, I'm going to be working on an RCA 45EY3 later this year, restoring it. :) These little things are neat! You can buy a fully restored one on eBay from a seller like Paul Childress (user ID "paul_childress") for about $300. Unrestored goes a lot cheaper, but most need work. Mine's going to need resurfaced rubber pulleys, the new mono/stereo cartridge, and a new set of capacitors wired in (since it has a bit of hum to it).

Also, I assume they are still made for those who wish to update and play current music on old 45 juke boxes. Many establishments still have them around, some refurbished, so I'm sure they play oldies and new material as well.

Jon

Rudy said:
RCA used to sell a small changer that played only 45s.

Neil, that is so cool! My parents had one socked away in the garage for years. I don't know what happened to it. We have so many things in storage, it could still by laying around. The unit belonged to Mom when she was in high school. We'd get it out and play with it on occasion...great sound, although the big fat spindle had a tendency to stick on occasion, dropping several discs at once. Still, it was a great novelty. Have fun with your new one!

Jon

brasil_nut said:
Rudy said:
RCA used to sell a small changer that played only 45s.

Neil, that is so cool! My parents had one socked away in the garage for years. I don't know what happened to it.

What's more amazing is that I can still get Sams Photofacts for both the record changer AND the electronics! So basically, I can properly disassemble, refurbish and rebuild it properly. The only bad thing with this one is that there is a hairline crack in the back of the case, but it's not visible from the front and can be easily reinforced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom