• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

I wish there were simplified mixes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

You'd think with all the Carpenters compilations that get put out, each of them would have at least one thing that's special or unique that appeals to the fans who already have everything (like the single version of "Solitaire" that will appear on the Gold collection). As most of us know, that's often not the case.

With that in mind, you know what I'd like to see? I'd love it if Richard put out a collection in which he took 15-20 of their songs and stripped them down until there was nothing left but Karen's lead vocal backed up by him on the piano. In other words, take some of their songs and reduce them to their simplest form and let us hear them in a different way.

As much as I adore Richard's lush arrangements, I always felt there was a special magic when it was just him on the piano and Karen singing. I know that many of their songs wouldn't work using this approach, but quite a few would and I think the result could be stunning. And I would imagine that something such as this would be very popular with fans, much more so than yet another collection of songs we already own.

Oh well, I suppose I'm daydreaming, but I can dream, can't I?

Tony

Tony, you always have such great ideas!! I remember when I first got the Yesterday Once More-Carpenters Original Master Karaoke Cd, Hearing Karen & Richard on certain tracks in the background & hearing the overdubs was a "new" sensation for me. It made me appreciate his arrangements that much more.

I wouldn't be suprised if something like this was possible even from the standpoint of an amateur doing this from certain type of recording equipment. (remember donald's goofus site) he would sometimes enhance Karen's vocals on certain tracks & make them sound quite amazing & different.

As much as I'd love for Richard to do something like this, I doubt he would, for fear that someone might think this was the finished product when it was just a stripped down version. (of course we would know better but your average person might not)

..awaiting his new Treasures CD, online...

That is a fantastic idea. The great thing about Karen's voice is that she did not need a lot of production around her. She sounds complete all on her own. I, too, love to hear her with just a simple piano. It helps you appreciate the perfection of her voice even more that way.

I've always loved those short performances from "Make Your Own Kind of Music" with just Richard's piano. She sounds so amazing on "House Is Not a Home". The simple piano backing on parts of her solo version of "Make Believe It's Your First Time" is another one that always stands out for the same reason. I also love the beginning of songs that have sparse instrumentation in the back of them, like the beginning of "First Snowfall" and "Christmas Waltz". Those first few moments, "Frosted window panes...." ohh, just such perfection.

That is a wonderful concept, Tony. Richard probably would not do something like this though, unfortunately. I think he is too fond of his productions to alter them and simplify them. I sure wish he would though. It would be heavenly. I'd love to hear some jazzier treatments of her performances as well.

That is a great idea Tony! Now that's a CD of remixes that even I would buy. :D

I'd also love if Richard would release a CD of just the vocals - NO music at all - kind of a reverse of the karaoke CD. Whereas the karaoke album is designed so that people can sing the lead themselves in place of Karen, a CD of only the vocals would be designed for musicians. Imagine being able to accompany Karen yourself, on whatever instrument you happen to play! That would be a dream come true!

Murray

Murray said:
I'd also love if Richard would release a CD of just the vocals - NO music at all - kind of a reverse of the karaoke CD.

This is where a really well-put-together DVD-Audio could be very cool. You could have a number of different audio options: 5.1-channel mix, stereo mix, "unplugged" mix (just Karen and piano), Karen's vocal-only mix, and a karaoke mix.
David

Does anyone else remember the scene in "The Karen Carpenter Story" in which K&R are in the studio running through "We've Only Just Begun"
It contains a piece (although small) of a stripped down version, with only lead, piano, drums and bass. DEFINATELY a "chill factor" moment! :love:
-D

Thanks for all the great feedback everybody!

A few additional comments:

Just to clarify, and as long as we're elaborating on our wishes, I would actually prefer it if Richard rearranged and re-recorded his piano parts and tailored them specifically for such a project to give them even greater emphasis. He could open with a nice, long piano-only medley of some of the hits that wouldn't be given this 'unplugged' treatment. And I'd love it if a lot of the songs ran together linked by Richard's piano (kind of like how 'I Won't Last A Day' goes into 'Close to You' on The Singles 1969-1981). I definitely wouldn't want to see Richard's contribution reduced, I just want to hear it differently. I'd think that Richard would relish doing something like this. It would be kind of like going back to his roots in a way.

Chris T., your remarks about the medley from 'Make Your Own Kind of Music' is dead on. I love that medley, particularly 'A House is Not a Home,' and that was one of the reasons I thought of this idea. I'll bet there are a few songs that remain unreleased simply because there are only partial vocals. Perhaps some of these, which might not otherwise ever see the light of day, could be sewn together into another medley of sorts.

As I envision it, this could be the studio equivalent of an intimate, nightclub performance. You know, I can even see the artwork in my head. Geez, I'm getting carried away!

Tony

Beginning in '76 with I NEED TO BE IN LOVE, Richard used this chorale back-up sound. To me that may have been the demise of an otherwise hit song. This gave an "elevator" feel to some of the arrangements. VOICE OF THE HEART features this also. MAKE BELIEVE...TWO LIVES...NOW...YOU'RE ENOUGH...etc...I think that the stripped down version of Karen's readings would be nuch more intimate and expressive. The other sound somehow detracts from the "centerpiece". Richard's solo effort PACC has the same languid feel with all of the hits strewn together for play in a Dentist's office. I believe re-mixing these and other tracks would provide a whole new listening experience.

As much as I admire all of Richards
work, I am releived to find that
others feel the same about that
chorale mixed in! The songs would
sound much better without them.
Maybe in future Compilations he
will consider removing the chorale
in favor of insturnmentals.

While I was in LA last week for the Top of the World fundraiser, I worked up the nerve to tell a couple of music industry friends (who happen to know Richard) about my idea of a collection of stripped down (vocal and piano only) Carpenters songs as detailed earlier in this thread. A bit to my surprise, they both loved the idea so much that each offered to write up a proposal and get it to Richard and/or David Alley. After much talk and brainstorming I've been told that the letter has been written and it should be in Richard's hands next week. How he'll feel about the idea is anyone's guess, but if this idea ever does come to fruition I'll be an awfully happy man.

Also, I got to meet Richard at TOTW and I had a brief but cordial chat with him. I also took a couple of pictures which I'll try to post later. And to top it off, I met several fans from this forum and they were each as nice as I imagined they would be.

Tony

That's great news, Tony! Thanks for doing that.

Let's all send some positive thoughts that Richard will be open to this idea and be inspired by it. :)

Wow Tony, that is excellent news, thanks for sharing. I sure hope Richard likes the idea & something developes. Sure would be neat to see that letter. :D

I don't have the By Request CD, but didn't Richard actually use peoples opinions about what songs to put on that CD? I thought someone from this board was actually mentioned on that CD, I could be wrong though. I do need to get that CD, neat cover art on that one.

Look forward to seeing your pics, Tony. :) :)

Thanks for the news, Tony. Let's hope we hear something about your idea - and if we do get some different mixes of Carpenters stuff, they will at least be something new. We're looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I don't have the By Request CD, but didn't Richard actually use peoples opinions about what songs to put on that CD? I thought someone from this board was actually mentioned on that CD, I could be wrong though. I do need to get that CD, neat cover art on that one.

Actually it was someone who had posted at one of Ran's old boards, Bennett Turk. He's one of the four or five people who's requests are listed in English in the BY REQUEST liner booklet. I don't think Bennett has ever shown up here - at least not under that name.

Harry
...wishing Richard would get himself online, online...

The opening track to THE singles 69-73 has that beautiful opening with Karen mesmorizing the listener. The start of Goodbye To Love. This could easily be your standard CarpenterS album. With Richard producing, arranging and uluminating some studeo magic this could be something of a sonic marvel. A true testament to Karen's stunning ability to deliver a line as well as her impeccable phrasing and intonation. Unmasking the sulbties in her vocal that is sometimes blurred in instruments and oooh's and aaah's. While I love the originals, I feel passionate about this type of delivery. This effort could quite possibly send Karen's status as the greatest, interpretator of modern music. An audience that sees Karen as a chantuese, a song stylist. Not the everyday run-of-the-mill pop-star. More or less a study and gift of her marvelous, timeless instrument to be truly featured in a stripped down way. Showcasing HER. Again, Richard would produce, arrange and follow thru with piano and any other arena he chose to involve himself in.

Forging a NEW, FRESH, ENLIGHTENING, DECISIVE imprint of the woman/man we so affectionately call CarpenterS...

Jeff

Forgive me if this song has been
mentioned before in this thread
about simpified mixes. If the
producton of such an album comes
to pass, I feel A Song For You
would be a great cadidate. Its
one of the few great songs where
Karens voice is not lost in a lot
of over production. Also Make
Beleive Its Your First Time from
Karens solo album is another great
example of Karens voice in a stand
alone tune.
JIM

I don't know about you but I think Karen's solo version of Make Beleive Its Your First Time is vastly superior to the Carpenters.

Please I hope I did not give the
impression that the VOTH version
is bad. I love every bit of material the CarpenterS produced.
There is one thing I find interesting about the solo sessions
Of all of the material released or
unreleased. Make Beleive is one of
the only songs with the exception
of I Do It For Your Love that I
can think of that is free of muti
tracking on backround vocals.
I think it says a lot about how
much both Karen and Richard really
loved this style of recording.
JIM

I need to make a correction on
the unreleased solo material
Midnight and Somethings Missing
are also free of backround vocals.
However the last aprox 41 bars of
Midnight seem like they may have
had plans for some backing vocal
experimentation.
JIM

I said:
Actually it was someone who had posted at one of Ran's old boards, Bennett Turk. He's one of the four or five people who's requests are listed in English in the BY REQUEST liner booklet. I don't think Bennett has ever shown up here - at least not under that name.

While perusing amazon.com this evening, I clicked on Carpenters GOLD and noticed the recent review by Bennett Turk. I guess he's still into Carpenters!

Harry
...wondering if Bennett's ever found A&M Corner, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom