If I had produced Made in America

There was also at least one 'teaser' released to the music industry to build up interest and excitement while the album was being recorded. A statement that Karen Carpenter was recording a solo album and that it would include Paul Simon's song, 'Still Crazy After All a These Years' was published, probably in one of the trade papers like Cashbox or Billboard. DJs as far away as Australia knew about it, because it was mentioned on the radio here. I think that was in late 1979....maybe August-ish. (It was before I went away to school, because I scribbled it on my homework table at our home. Otherwise, it was in the holidays, when I came home about three months later. But I think August-ish, 1979). So the pre-release build-up was there.

I believe it was Billbaord as that is where I first heard she had recorded that song. And I was SO excited, thinking she'd be incredible. (And she was!)

What's also really interesting here is that she used the word "we". Does she mean she and Richard, or she and the record label/management company?

Exactly. I agree with the other reply she probably meant her management.

But, funny thing is I'd assume we would have heard it said (after all these years):
"Karen was looking to audition for _____." OR Karen was very interested in X script or story.

Since the topic was changed quickly I have a hunch there wasn't any "active looking."
It was a dream at this point (out of all fairness dreaming is a form of planning) and she acted diplomatically.
Perhaps what she really wanted to say was "I understand contractually/out of loyalty/admiration for my brother I will remain in The Carpenters, but I'm grasping at straws to come up with something I can do on my own and have it work out too."

I believe it was Billbaord as that is where I first heard she had recorded that song. And I was SO excited, thinking she'd be incredible. (And she was!)
So this test, would A&M have made any review 45’s or 8-tracks/cassettes for Billboard and other reviewers to hear “Still Crazy”, that was them recalled or did they just issue a press release where the title was printed so that the press could quote it?

Billboard, April 19th, 1980 mentions Karen and Phil :

Ramone and Carpenter picked
the tunes, including Paul Simon's
"Still Crazy After All These Years,"
a song by Peter Cetera of Chicago,
and two by Rod Temperton of Heat -
wave fame, writer of current top 30
smashes by Michael Jackson and the
Brothers Johnson.
Ramone agrees that the mix is a
bit eclectic. "They're not necessarily
songs that the Carpenters would
have chosen." he says.

Exactly. I agree with the other reply she probably meant her management.

But, funny thing is I'd assume we would have heard it said (after all these years):
"Karen was looking to audition for _____." OR Karen was very interested in X script or story.

Since the topic was changed quickly I have a hunch there wasn't any "active looking."
It was a dream at this point (out of all fairness dreaming is a form of planning) and she acted diplomatically.
Perhaps what she really wanted to say was "I understand contractually/out of loyalty/admiration for my brother I will remain in The Carpenters, but I'm grasping at straws to come up with something I can do on my own and have it work out too."
You can "arrange" all you want, but it was THAT VOICE that SOLD the records.

I agree with Newville and Carpe Diem. There’s most definitely tension between the two of them....especially on the part of Richard. Karen was totally right to challenge his comments after what she’d been through by this time in their careers. While it had to be sheer hell for Richard to have to witness her disease taking over, he was no angel, either.
Karen’s comment back to him was pretty benign, actually. She was too classy to go any further in front of the cameras.
"Sheer hell" indeed. While Richard's professional jealousies were in the mix, I think it must have irritated him to hear Karen discuss future career ambitions when she was in such poor health. I recently watched a YouTube video where two older sisters discuss what it is like to live with an anorexic younger sister. The emotional toll on the family members is wrenching. I'm sure it can't be fully appreciated unless one has experienced it. Sorry, I don't usually like to dwell on this aspect of the story, but sometimes I can't help but go there.

The emotional toll on the family members is wrenching. I'm sure it can't be fully appreciated unless one has experienced it. Sorry, I don't usually like to dwell on this aspect of the story, but sometimes I can't help but go there.

Good point!!
We forget we weren't there... we just read the stories and watch the re-enactments. So, we can't know what any of it was like for KC, RC or The Carpenters family.

Richard has described Karen's loss as a thorn in his side all these years. I gather a great sense of a brother missing his sister throughout "Voice of the heart," "Lovelines," and "As time goes by." That's love and dedication right there!
We don't know what Richard has live through privately throughout the 80s-today; and some scoff because he hasn't responded in the way you think he should.
It's traumatic for all sides.

Knowing what we know now about EDs, and with the "Mass media" being a specialized markets now...
There would definitely be a place for Karen today.

I guess that's the thing I've been trying to get at is... back in the 70s it seemed you had to appeal to the masses as it were. That's a heck of a lot of pressure. For some reason, fate had it, Karen as a soloist was threatening... alas MIA was born.

As KC said herself, and it's still true today, "There's enough room for everybody."

Back
Top Bottom