🖼 Gallery INNER SLEEVES

Threads with gallery-like content.

Michael Hagerty

Contributor
PS: Stan's book about his time at Warners', EXPLODING, is one of the best reads of all time.

It's available at reasonable prices again (they shot up to $300 a copy when Stan died):

Amazon product

Michael Hagerty

Contributor
My favorite line from the Sinatra/Jobim notes has always been this one:
Mine:

You feel for anybody who will blow it on the next take. It begins. The long, long. About a minute and a half in, then the trombonist braaacks a note. Braaack. That obvious. He can’t look over at some other trombonist; he’s the only trombonist. So he sits there, a blutch-colored felt hat sagged across the bell of his horn, hung there to keep it Soft. Poor Trombone Player knows: his music said B and it came out F and Jesus was it wrong.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I never paid much attention to the albums on those later sleeves. I wasn't aware that Steve Marriott (of the Small Faces) recorded on A&M.

rockdoctor

I never bought an album just because I saw it on an inner sleeve but I always enjoyed seeing what was available from the label and if I heard something I liked from the artist then I would consider getting the album.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I always wanted a couple of the A&M/CTi records from some of A&M's earlier innersleeves--it would take me decades to finally get ahold of them. 😁

rockdoctor

I did see two albums listed in the color catalog from late 1970 that piqued my interest. One was Evie Sands-Any Way That You Want Me and Jeff Comanor-Sure Hope You Like It. I had heard Evie Sands on the radio and knew of Jeff Comanor as a songwriter for songs that The 5Th Dimension covered.
I never saw either album in stores. I do hope I will find them one day. at a used record store for a reasonable price. I never have heard Jeff Comanor records on the radio.

AM Matt

Also "Any Way That You Want Me" & her other albums are also available download on Apple iTunes!!

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
Jeff Comanor's Sure Hope You Like It album was one I played quite a bit back in the 80s after I found it in used record store while i was stationed in Norfolk, Virginia. It's actually quite good and, yes, I enjoyed it! There were several folk/composer/singers on A&M back in the day. Besides the obvious Phil Ochs and Shawn Phillips, there was Comanor, Mike 'Abo and (to some degree) Emitt Rhodes whom I found quite enjoyable. David Batteau (the lower left album on the sleeve above) is also a terrific album. He wrote A coupke tunes on Sergio's eponymus A&M comeback album in '83...

--Mr Bill

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
I remember seeing a few A&M albums on the innersleeves and buying them later, but I don't know if I ever bought one just BECAUSE of an innersleeve. But, they say repetition is the best form of advertising.... it's all about top-of-mind awareness. So maybe after seeing a few Sandpipers albums repeatedly on variouso innersleeves, my eye was drawn to Sandpipers albums. Who knows?

Top Bottom