• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Is another "As Time Goes By" type of compilation p

Status
Not open for further replies.

amit1234

I received my copy of 'As Time Goes By' in the mail this past week and have been tremendously enjoying it. "You're Just In Love", "I've Got Rhythm", "Carpenters/Como Medley", "And When He Smiles", the list goes on and on....

Needless to say, I'm one happy camper.

My question is - do you think another type of compilation like this which gathers TV performances, outtakes, etc. is possible or has all the quality material been released? I can't imagine Richard holding anything more worthwhile back for this long...

I would love another type of compilation album like 'As Time Goes By', however, I wouldn't want him to assemble a collection which doesn't merit the "Carpenters" logo.

Thoughts?

There are those who believe that there's a wealth of unreleased material that Richard is sitting on, I tend to believe the opposite. While there are a few documented cases of songs that Karen has sung on, like the duet she did with John Denver ("Comin' Through The Rye/Good Vibration") and of course the unreleased solo tracks, I don't think there's a great deal left that would be releasable in the form of new songs. Surely there are many alternate takes on tape somewhere, but those aren't necessarily all that great to hear.

Anyone who's heard the Beatles' Anthology can attest to the fact that while those flubs, glitchs, and different tales are interesting to hear to a dedicated fan, casual listening is really not possible and the albums go from one source to another, often missing some contextual material.

I suppose many of us would love to hear that kind of thing, but I don't know if we'd really want to listen to it all that often. It'd be one of those hear-it-through-once-or-twice-and-then-file-it-on-the-shelf discs.

There's the infamous list of unreleased tracks that many fans use as a checklist every time a new song IS released. Unfortunately that list contains many incomplete fragments of tunes, many without lead vocals that can never be completed.

Bottom line: I believe that there might be a track or two that could appear in the future, but for all intents and purposes, the well is dry.

Harry
...happy with As Time Goes By as the last Carpenters release, online...

I guess we should just be thankful Richard has worked hard to give us as much "new" music as he possibly can since Karen's passing.

Voice Of The Heart
Yesterday Once More
Time
Lovelines
From The Top
Interpretations
Karen Carpenter
Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor
As Time Goes By
The Essential Collection

That's nine releases (mind you, some of the albums do include previously released material). I guess my one last hope is that he compiles another another album with outtakes/demos of their popular singles ("Top Of The World", "For All We Know", "We've Only Just Begun") - a very unlikely occurrence since like you said, it would only appeal to the hardcore fans and not the casual listener.

I think a more reasonable request would be to make a Carpenters "Duets" album with today's modern artists like Shania Twain, k.d. lang, etc. who've all expressed admiration for her voice. Marrying the old with the new has worked before (Natalie Cole's Unforgettable), however, if it were to be done, god knows Richard would want it to be just right - meaning, we've have to wait a very long time for it to come to fruition.

Miss you Karen.... :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom