• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Janis Hansen in The Carnival

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is interesting that Janis complained about Bones Howe's tracking of studio musicians on the album. I've been listening closely and on a few tracks, it does sound like the Fifth Dimension on background vocals. Not just the arrangement, but the voices. I wonder. I'm sure it would have been credited.
Stevenj

Stevenj said:
...I've been listening closely and on a few tracks, and it does sound like the Fifth Dimension on background vocals. I wonder... I'm sure it would have been credited.
Stevenj

Uh, uh...! :shake: Thanks to Multi-Tracking, (Especially that MARVELOUS 24-Track Unit, at Wally Heider!) I think that two-man, two-woman group-- The Carnival-- is very capable of sounding like The 5-D...! The 5th Dimension were able to sound like a CHOIR... And Punch... The Sandpipers... Jeffrey Comanor...

Dave

...Stating a music trivia "fact", that is not-necessarily "the truth...", but that should not be considered or interpreted as frivolous, false, or incorrect information quoted by anyone other than "Yours Truly..." I am not a Music-Industry "Insider"...

I would have liked hearing the Fifth do some of those numbers, maybe I was just daydreaming. They did record Misty Roses and Sky And Sea though.
Steven

Stevenj said:
I would have liked hearing the Fifth do some of those numbers; maybe I was just daydreaming. They did record "Misty Roses" and "Sky And Sea", though.
Steven

The 5th Dimension did "Misty Roses" on their first LP... As for "Sky And Sea", that track I'm unfamiliar with; what album was that from?

Ah, well, yeah... The possibilities were endless with what The 5-D could do...! I had all their albums, except Magic Garden, produced exclusively by Jimmy Webb...

Dave

was from their album Individually and Collectively. A scatty-bossa-pop number, and very nice. If you haven't heard The Magic Garden, check it out. That is one of my favorites and a good album.

I just found and downloaded the Fifth's Love Hangover from a p2p server. Maybe you're familiar with it. It was released just before Diana Ross's version and was receiving air play, then Ross knocked them off the radio and it wasn't released on an album. It lacked Billy and Marilyn, but it was still good.

Stevenj

Stevenj said:
Sky and Sea...was from their album Individually and Collectively.

OK, I remember... Haven't had, nor heard Individually and Collectively for a long time... Only like "If I Could Reach You", anyway...

Stevenj said:
I just found and downloaded the Fifth's "Love Hangover" from a p2p server. Maybe you're familiar with it.

Stevenj

Familiar with it? I HAVE it--both a LONG version and a SHORT version on an ABC White-Label-Promo '45'; ranks right with Thelma Houston's "Don't Leave Me This Way"/"Today Will Soon Be Yesterday" '45' and her entire Anyway You Want Me LP and Carl Carlton's entire Everlasting Love album...!!

It was done by a "reformed 5th Dimension"--lacking Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis, Jr.--who recorded a couple LP's on Motown, (the label that rejected the ORIGINAL group when they first started) Star Dancing (which I have) and High On Sunshine and yeah, it sounds a LOT like the Diana Ross version, which I also like, despite it taking over the 5-D's version, of which the LP it was to go on (following their Earthbound reunion LP with Jimmy Webb producing and arranging on ABC) remains unreleased to this day...!

Dave

Maybe I need to start looking for 45s. You mentioned Thelma Houston. I just bought my first Thelma album. I bought I've Got The Music In Me, with Pressure Cooker and She blows me away!! Now I need to decide what my next Thelma album will be, maybe you can point me in the right direction?
Stevenj

Stevenj said:
It is interesting that Janis complained about Bones Howe's tracking of studio musicians on the album. I've been listening closely and on a few tracks, it does sound like the Fifth Dimension on background vocals. Not just the arrangement, but the voices. I wonder. I'm sure it would have been credited.
Stevenj

I just got my copy yesterday and I believe what Janis is referring to is the rhythm track musicians, not the vocalists. If you notice the musician credits on the CD insert, none of them are the actual band members. It was interesting to see Pete Jolly was one of the session guys on this, another great reason to be remembering him. That mono mix of "Son of a Preacher Man" was pretty horrible, IMHO. Sounded like it was played back and/or mastered at a slightly different speed than the stereo mix.

I need to get this CD, but I have to admit, I don't play the vinyl very much. It's such a strange album with 'Lia Laidia a Go Go' and one of the great mascochistic songs ever, "Take Me For A Little While". But after a while it all sounds the same: Loud cheesy harmonies.

I'm assuming there was only one album ever made by The Carnaval.

MasterLcZ said:
I need to get this CD, but I have to admit... It's such a strange album... ...After a while, it all sounds the same: Loud, cheesy harmonies!

Yes, you're kinda right, that's how I sorta felt; that's why now I just have a picture sleeve '45' of "Laida, Laidia" B/W "Canto De Carnival"... Play them in the order the way the way they were on the LP...

MasterLcZ said:
I'm assuming there was only one album ever made by The Carnaval...

Well, The Carnaval was going to make a second LP, but, unfortunately, only two songs got recorded, so they're the Bonus Tracks on the CD... Guess I may someday consider getting this, at least for them...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom