Karen Carpenter Solo Album

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

I was reading a review at epinions.com on the Karen Carpenter Solo Album and read that some songs were kind of sexy and that she moans in them. I know that Phil Ramone produced it and he told her how to sing but from what I've heard Karen sings like she's holding back. If I buy this CD would I be dissapointed?

I must say that nothing that Karen ever did was disappointing to me! To me the album is not up to Richard's exacting standards. Some of the songs are not suited to Karen's voice. I feel that some are what I would call "young". But, "disappointing"? Never!!

Marilyn

Actually, many of the songs are excellent, in my opinion.
It is fun to hear Karen sing in a different style and with different musicians and arrangements than normal.
"If We Try"
"Making Love in the Afternoon"
"Still Crazy After All These Years"
and
"Last One Singin' the Blues"
are among my favorites..
In fact, the original "Make Believe Its Your First Time" is way cool.

Mark

mstaft said:
In fact, the original "Make Believe Its Your First Time" is way cool.

That's an UNDERSTATEMENT. There's no better reason to own the Karen Carpenter solo album than to hear the exquisite "Make Believe It's Your First Time." Even if the 'Carpenters' version isn't among your favorites, THIS one will produce goosebumps.

The album is worth the purchase for this song alone - and at any price.

Harry
NP: radio at work

raz42289

Yeah I agree you should buy this one just for what Harry mentioned, I like this version over Richard's. After hearing Karen's version, I could not understand why Richard had to mess with it. ??

I could not live without this CD. I'll put it this way, If I had to let go of 1 Carpenters CD so I could keep Karen's Solo CD...I would do it. Her solo Cd means that much to me.

I recently had a chance to sing for a charity concert and this new version of "Make Believe It's Your First Time" was a fantastic piece. The piano arrangement so soothing and Karen's delivery ever so honest than earlier version.

Hi raz42289, you will NOT be disappointed with Karen's awesome solo album. The upbeat songs like "Making Love In the Afternoon" and "My body Keeps Changing My Mind" show off Karen's playful side, while "Guess I Just Lost My Head" reveals a new sophistication in Karen's voice.

And I agree with everyone else that Karen's solo version of "Make Believe It's Your First Time" is far better than the group version.

I find the production on this
album was outstanding! That girl
could harmonize with her own voice
like wild! One of the unreleased
tracks Love Makin Love reminds
me so much of Only Yesterday.
I dont know if this is a fact
but I think that on Still Crazy
when she sings crashed out yawnin
longing my life <AWAY> listen to
the bottom note in her harmony.
I think it has to be the lowest
note she recorded.
JIM

I agree that Karen's low note in the backing vocals on "Still Crazy..." (when she sings 'away') is probably her lowest on record. It sounds as if she's at the absolute lowest limit of her range. And it makes perfect sense that this note would appear only on her solo album. After all, when Karen recorded with Richard he would have had the duty of singing most of the lowest parts in the backing vocals.

Now you've got me wondering in which song would we find Karen's highest recorded note? It would undoubtedly appear in backing vocals somewhere. Any guesses anyone?

Tony

Hey Tony
I will be spending some
serious headphone time searching
for this mystery high note! what
a great question.
You made a good point in that
Richard was in charge of the
lower range of there music. The
only time they switched roles
that I am aware of is from the
Live In Japan concert. Its in