Karen Carpenter Solo Sessions - Continued

Would Peter Cetera be the first male singer that had a duet with Karen Carpenter that was an official studio recording?
Iā€™m not even sure Iā€™d call it a duet, in that Peter doesnā€™t have any lead vocal parts - he only sings backing vocals behind Karen. Itā€™s in a similar vein to his ā€œduetā€ with Paul Anka, ā€œHold Me ā€˜Til The Morning Comes,ā€ another song Peter has (to my knowledge) never spoken of.

That being said, Iā€™d say Peter never talked about it because those songs are just minor footnotes in his career - he wasnā€™t out front, only supporting another artist. Iā€™m also pretty sure his backing vocals were uncredited - but instantly recognizable.

Sidenote - I wish Karen had recorded a few actual duets with other male singers. Collaborating with other artists is what helps to draw in more fans.

Same! I thought that forever. For as bad as ā€œAnother beat of tune is, ā€œAnother Beatle tuneā€ is actually worse. From the guy who gave us ā€œIf You Leave Me Nowā€, this is true c-material lyrically. It appears he dashed those lyrics off on the way to the studio. Iā€™m fine with the music; just not the lyric.

Ed
:laugh: I agree with you about "another Beatle tune" being worse. I remember when I learned what the correct lyric was, I cringed a little.

Iā€™m not even sure Iā€™d call it a duet, in that Peter doesnā€™t have any lead vocal parts - he only sings backing vocals behind Karen. Itā€™s in a similar vein to his ā€œduetā€ with Paul Anka, ā€œHold Me ā€˜Til The Morning Comes,ā€ another song Peter has (to my knowledge) never spoken of.

That being said, Iā€™d say Peter never talked about it because those songs are just minor footnotes in his career - he wasnā€™t out front, only supporting another artist. Iā€™m also pretty sure his backing vocals were uncredited - but instantly recognizable.

Sidenote - I wish Karen had recorded a few actual duets with other male singers. Collaborating with other artists is what helps to draw in more fans.
The Anka tune is a bit different because he leads in the choruses. There's no mistaking that voice. He's not hiding all that well on "Making Love..." either but it's definitely not a lead. He did get credit on the Anka thing because he didn't hide well. Foster co-wrote the tune so there's the connection. It also feels for all the world like a Foster production even though Denny Diante is credited as the producer. Not sure I buy that one.

Ed

What were you mis-hearing? I wonder if I've been mis-hearing it too. I only found out recently that Karen wasn't "makin' love to another beat or tune."
I mis-heard "you are the warm glow" as "you are the wonder". I also thought it was "another beat of tune." And I thought it was "you are my lovelines" not "you're on my lovelines".

It's funny. I actually ended up listening to this album within a week of listening to Richard's solo album that I managed to purchase on vinyl back in Oct of '96.
Both solos at the same time even though one was 16 years old and the other was 9 years old.
It was my first month of Uni and both albums take me back to that time more than any other.

:laugh: I agree with you about "another Beatle tune" being worse. I remember when I learned what the correct lyric was, I cringed a little.
How about "one sweet Carpenter tune"? Same number of syllables...
A neat little salute to herself...and much more appropriate for background music during intimate activities...

I just checked my Japan SHM CD and there are English lyrics inside and sure enough it says ā€œto another beatle tuneā€ I canā€™t believe that lyric didnā€™t stick with me all these years. I think itā€™s that NY phrasing, Karen tricked me.

I love the background vocal harmony in Guess I Just Lost My Head. Itā€™s one of my favorite tunes. I wish the songs were lowered a little to fit Karenā€™s voice better, but I do like all the selections. I wish there were a few more, for I can never get enough of Karenā€™s voice. If I go for a period without listening, I am always amazed when I re-listen, for her tone is unique, then all the others goodies of quality listening just get added on top like a layered cake. All the graphics in this stream are equally complimentary.

I mis-heard "you are the warm glow" as "you are the wonder". I also thought it was "another beat of tune." And I thought it was "you are my lovelines" not "you're on my lovelines".
Both "warm glow" and "on my lovelines" had me fooled. Man, even after all these years I'm finding out I don't know the words.

I just checked my Japan SHM CD and there are English lyrics inside and sure enough it says ā€œto another beatle tuneā€ I canā€™t believe that lyric didnā€™t stick with me all these years. I think itā€™s that NY phrasing, Karen tricked me.

For some reason I heard the 'Beatle' reference the very first time I heard it, but her phrasing was odd. I thought it was cool to hear Karen reference them in a solo track.

How about "one sweet Carpenter tune"? Same number of syllables...
A neat little salute to herself...and much more appropriate for background music during intimate activities...
Given that Barry, Robin and Maurice were the biggest thing back then, thank goodness it wasn't ".........to another Bee Gees tune". Those nasal screams! (Love their earlier stuff, but not their falsettos).

Given that Barry, Robin and Maurice were the biggest thing back then, thank goodness it wasn't ".........to another Bee Gees tune". Those nasal screams! (Love their earlier stuff, but not their falsettos).

It is interesting... I used to find their falsettos a bit much, but learnng more about vocal technique, their falsettos are actually quite impressive. Their influence for this was US R&B/Soul like The Stylistics, or Eddie Kendricks, and others. For the most part, I actually think the falsetto harmonies were really just Barry Gibb overdubbing himself. I wonder how a Barry Gibb/Bee Gees poduction would have worked with Karen?

Because she liked the song and wanted to do it. That would be my guess. Rod did the rhythm arrangement on that tune so Billy Joel's band likely isn't playing on this. It's a fun song and and she sounds like she's having fun when she's singing it. It doesn't feel forced. Also gotta give it up to Rod for the arrangement all around. His vocal arrangements always win and they do here too. "Just can't resist you" is simple but it's pure ear candy.

Ed
I LOVE this song and play it as much as any Carpenters track.
It is interesting... I used to find their falsettos a bit much, but learnng more about vocal technique, their falsettos are actually quite impressive. Their influence for this was US R&B/Soul like The Stylistics, or Eddie Kendricks, and others. For the most part, I actually think the falsetto harmonies were really just Barry Gibb overdubbing himself. I wonder how a Barry Gibb/Bee Gees poduction would have worked with Karen?
I think that it would have produced a multi million selling album and many hit singles. It is my idea of a match made in heaven. I have always wanted a Karen/Robin Gibb duet as he is my favorite male vocalist. Both entirely unique solo voices.

A very special treat for UK fans of Karen's solo album this month. It's getting its own feature in the well-known Record Collector. Not quite sure what's brought that on but I'll scan and share the article here as soon as I lay my hands on a copy!

IMG_6311.jpeg

They are reading all of the admiration we provide of her solo threads. :laugh:

May 2024​

Pet Shop Boys, inevitably. Interview, Discography, Evaluation.

557 May In this issue: the past, present and future of Pet Shop Boys, plus 1984 Special: the best albums! The format wars!; Bruce Dickinson on life without Maiden; Karen Carpenterā€™s solo flight; Einsturzende Neubautenā€™s drill communication; Bananarama unpeel their catalogue; Gered Mankowitz: rock photographer extraordinaire, and much moreā€¦

A very special treat for UK fans of Karen's solo album this month. It's getting its own feature in the well-known Record Collector. Not quite sure what's brought that on but I'll scan and share the article here as soon as I lay my hands on a copy!

IMG_6311.jpeg

A quick note to say that if anyone outside of the UK would like a copy of this magazine I'd be happy to hunt down additional copies. Most newsagents only stock one or two but I'll do my best. All I'd ask is you are able to cover the purchase and shipping cost. I'll buy the packaging.

The magazine cost is Ā£6.45 and shipping for a standard A4 parcel of under 250g to the US via Royal Mail is around Ā£6. Total around $15. Send me a PM if you're interested.

IMG_6326.jpeg

A quick note to say that if anyone outside of the UK would like a copy of this magazine I'd be happy to hunt down additional copies. Most newsagents only stock one or two but I'll do my best. All I'd ask is you are able to cover the purchase and shipping cost. I'll buy the packaging.

The magazine cost is Ā£6.45 and shipping for a standard A4 parcel of under 250g to the US via Royal Mail is around Ā£6. Total around $15. Send me a PM if you're interested.

IMG_6326.jpeg
Thatā€™s very kind, newvillefan.

Back
Top Bottom