• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Karen, one last time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

What song of Karen's or Carpenters, would be the last one you could ever hear? I think I'd go w/ "Without A Song" extended version. The song has a lovely harmonious texture with warm and inviting lyrics. The over-dubbing captures Carpenters at the pinnacle of their technique with a beautiful lead vocal provided by Karen.

Any other thoughts out there?

Jeff

Ooooh, that's a tough one, there are so many from which to choose! I'm partial to "Ordinary Fool". It a very bluesy number written by Paul Williams. I think Karen's voice was very suited to singing the blues. On my wish list for the future would be an album of Richard's where he plays jazz and blues piano. The Cs started out playing in a jazz combo. Maybe he could have a few ballads with guest soloists, but stick mainly to instrumental arrangements of his own music--all new material!! Richard, are you out there reading this?

Hopefully,
Marilyn

What a sad thought. Hearing Karen for the very last time. That's a tough one to think about, unless it means we can hear her sing again for us on the other side! If I had to choose though, even though my favorite is "I Can Dream Can't I", I would probably go with "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". Hearing the Carpenters Christmas music has always been a cut above anything else for me.

I suppose for anyone who loves the Holiday season, and loves Karen, it's pure heaven. When I hear a Carpenters Christmas tune, it brings up memories and feelings of happiness. Not that all of my holiday memories are happy! Sometimes I really don't care for certain aspects of the holidays at all, but Christmas music is joy in itself to me. Hearing anything from "Christmas Portrait" can take me to moments of being outdoors on a grey day, in the crisp air, putting colored lights on trees and bushes. That glow in those tiny lights have the same magic as something in Karen's voice.

Thanks for indulging my sentimentality!
Chris

Be as sentimental as you like. I'll join you! To me the Cs Christmas music is very special, too. I'm partial to Little Altar Boy. But, there I go again with the melancholy sound! Their Christmas albums will always be "classic". Every season it's always the very first album I listen to. Sigh! How very nice it would have been to have a new one this year. but, I do understand Richard's reasons, if indeed they are HIS!!

I'll be different. I really don't know because so many of the Carpenter's songs have sentimental value. Honestly, I don't think I could choose a song. But in a life or death situation I would have to choose Goodbye to Love. It is the song that got me hooked and probably will remain one of my favorites forever. :!: The Carpenters will remain my favorite forever

It would depend on how I wanted to remember Karen- If I was in a melancholy frame of mind, "Ordinary Fool". If I was upbeat, "Last One Singing the Blues"- she's finally the one with the "say so"!

Mark

I'm with Marilyn,"Ordinary Fool" is Karen's quintessential jazz masterpiece!That track should be included on many more compilations.Without a doubt, It's one of Karen's Top-10 performances(and one of Richard's top-10 arrangements).I'm also partial to "Little Altar Boy" and "I Can Dream,Can't I".

An odd scenario, so I'll make an odd but logical choice - "One More Time" from the Kind Of Hush album. "One More Time" for one last time.

Harry
...choosing, online...

Well done Harry! "One More Time" is the perfect choice. It's certainly among my favorites, and the title and sentiment couldn't fit any better for this particular situation.

And I agree with others here that "Ordinary Fool" is one of Karen's best performances. You can just FEEL the pain and disappointment come through in her voice. I get the sense that she wasn't just getting into character for that song, she was really tapping into her true feelings. Perhaps that's why she said she didn't care for "Ordinary Fool": it struck too close to home.

Tony

8) Good morning all ! Great thread by the way. I would have to go with 'Santa Claus is comin' to town' because of the overdubbing and wonderful jazzy sound. The quintisential Carpenter's sound. 'Intermission' from the album 'A song for you' would be my next choice , again because of the magnificent overdubbing and layers of texture provided for the listener.

Tony,
How did you find about about Karen's thoughts on "Ordinary Fool"?
I'd love to read that article!
Mark

Mark,

I'm sorry to say that I don't recall exactly where I read about Karen's relative dislike of "Ordinary Fool". My recollection is that Richard mentioned this shortly after the time VOTH came out which, of course, was 20 years ago. I remember showing the article to a friend (a fellow Carpenters fan, and a singer/musician) at the time and we both thought it was remarkable. If I can dig it up, I'll pass it your way.

By the way, does anyone know if Paul Grein's article about the C's which he wrote for Goldmine (or was it Discovery?) is available online?

Tony

P.S. - In case you don't know about it, there's a fine collection of Carpenters articles here: http://www.vex.net/~paulmac/carpenter/

Thanks, Tony, for the site info. I've never seen this one before.
Gotta say it again, Harry, this is one of the things I love most about this place. Everyone shares. And the wealth of information and insoght is amazing!
Thanks to everyone for making this a great place to "hang out"!
Mark

Tony said:
By the way, does anyone know if Paul Grein's article about the C's which he wrote for Goldmine (or was it Discovery?) is available online?

The article appeared in Goldmine in March 1991. It was posted on a webpage back in 1996, but that page disappeared a long time ago. Fortunately, I saved the article at the time, and found it on a floppy disk. It's a long article, in three parts. I'll post it in a seperate thread.

Murray

Mark,

You're welcome. I'm glad to share to with fellow fans. And Murray, thanks a million for posting Paul Grein's excellent article.

Tony

Murray, did that article in Goldmine have pictures used color or black & white? I wonder.

I wonder also if you can still get a copy of that, maybe backorder from Goldmine?

Chris, I don't know if the original article included pictures, as I've never seen a copy of the magazine. The webpage that I got the article from (back in 1996) didn't have any pictures, only text.

And Tony, you're welcome. I'm happy that you enjoyed the article!

Murray

If my memory serves me well, it does falter from time to time, I belive there were a couple of B&W photos with this article. I seem to think it included the photo of Karen wearing her "Lead Sister" shirt with hair flying up in the air.

Mark

Hey folks,

As one of Karen's posthumous fans (I was born in 1976), I've always found "A Song For You" to be the most haunting song, given what eventually happened. Certain other songs have snatches of lyrics ("I was born to belong to the lines of a song" and "Time and time again the chance for love has passed me by" come to mind), but ASFY is relevant and appropriate from start to finish. I've always thought that no song in the Carpenters collection encapsulated her life better than this one.

Very Difficult Choices :

Overall Personal Favourite : I Need To Be In Love :)

Key Carpenters Representative : We've Only Just Begun

Key Album Track : A Song For You

Almost Impossible To Choose ....... :rolleyes:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom