Karen: "The greatest singer of her generation"

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
I had never thought about this before, but... the fact that Richard has said many times in interviews and in print that Karen was "the greatest singer of her generation." I think once or twice I've heard him say "one of the greatest singers of all time." But I'm kind of curious, when did he actually realize this and start saying it? Was it after she passed away, or before?

I've always felt that Karen didn't get the "acclaim" she deserved until she was no longer around to hear it.

I had never thought about this before, but... the fact that Richard has said many times in interviews and in print that Karen was "the greatest singer of her generation." I think once or twice I've heard him say "one of the greatest singers of all time." But I'm kind of curious, when did he actually realize this and start saying it? Was it after she passed away, or before?

I've always felt that Karen didn't get the "acclaim" she deserved until she was no longer around to hear it.
Interesting thought. Now that I think of it, I can't think of any times that he said it while she was still alive. He has said it countless times since her death, however. I'm sure he always thought Karen was a terrific singer (which she definitely was), but I don't think he began saying it publicly until after she died.

In a recent interview he said he had told her many times that she was one of the greatest. And I think he was referring back to their heyday. So he definitely said this to her while she was still around.

What really made me emotional is that in another recent interview he said that “more than anything, I want Karen to receive…her…due”. To this day I think he still feels she was robbed of enjoying her place as one of the greats during her - very short - lifetime. She should have been around for another 50 years to see herself cemented in music history and to see all the credits and accolades that would come her way. Frenda Franklin said the same thing on Karen’s behalf: “I feel very, very robbed. We all do”.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom