Karen's Performance on the song AVE MARIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam89

I think of all the favorite CHRISTMAS recordings Karen ever did, this is my ulitimate favorite. It's deeply moving to hear her performance. It's like you are seeing a new side of her vocally. She really is able to raise the rafters vocally and hit the basement really well. I know many other artists have covered it, but her version, is the winner. She sings it so reverently. I love the phrasing of her words. Peccatoribus...THe way that she glides effortlessly up the scales and down...is pure perfection. I had heard the performance she did in 1978 of this song...the live version and she nails it well. One of my friends thought she was lipsynching it but she wasn't. It was almost true to the origional. It's also moving to watch her sing it on the CARPENTERS: A CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT TV special. She looks beautiful! With the candles and everything. Her vocal performance literally gives me chills up and down my spine I have heard that saying...spine chilling performance...and finally Karen was able to make it real for me

My thoughts,
Cameron
[email protected]

I share your sentiments. But, on a side note, I thought that Karen and Richard lipsynched all their specials....

I remember having chills when I watched Karen sing that song during the special when it was first aired.

To date, I think it is one of a handful of her tunes that demonstrates how she could make something sound so effortless while infusing such emotion. Her voice floats in a way that few voices have ever been able to capture on any song.

Hi,
Well there was the version in 1978 for the TV special which was lipsynched. Then they did a series of Christmas concerts, and one where they recieved recognition for their contribution at the Long Beach University, I believe. At this time, she sang AVE MARIA and a whole bunch of other Christmas songs. Her version of AVE MARIA was gorgeous singing it "LIVE". Yes, she did have that talent to make it seem so effortless, and she never had to strain. What a gift she had!

Cameron Longo
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom