• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Karen's Voice Richard's Technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I know this topic came up a while back with the use of different mic's Karen may have used for recording. Richard really knew what would work for Karen and what wouldn't, he had the knack for really bringing her voice out to the front.

I have heard that Karen was the type of singer that had a soft natural voice, she wasn't a loud/shout type of singer. Her voice was right under her breath.

I remember someone who visited here once had wondered what kind of mic Richard used in the recording studio for Karen.

I've also noticed that on certain type songs it appears that Karen's voice is right in your lap while she sings, an example would be "Love Me For What I Am" and "You're The One" and "Ordinary Fool" These are prime example of Karen's voice sounding as if she is milimeters from the mic and right in your lap. This of course is a good thing. Then there are other Carpenters songs that are great but don't have this same exact affect.

I have wondered is this due in part to certain mic's that Richard would use for certain songs, was this planed by Richard for certain songs or was this just what was available at the studio during time the song was recorded.

I can't remember off the top of my head but somewhere I remember either reading or seeing on a tv docu that Karen's voice was really a soft voice and if she was singing in a room wihtout a mic and you were across the room you could not hear her. It was the use of the mic that was able to capture her incredible voice inside her. Of course Karen had a one of a kind type voice and it was Richard that knew how to deliver that voice onto tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom