LA REDCAT - April 4th - FULL Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Herb was quoting Satchel Paige last night, I thought I would start by quoting Ernie Banks - "Let's Play Two!" That is what these two REDCAT shows were like, a fantastic double header. Both exciting games unique in their own way. Friday was more dynamic, but tonight was looser and you could really tell that Herb & Lani and band were having a blast. Tonight they made REDCAT their home. As I report from the third base (row) dead center in front of Herb, I see Eden Alpert is here once again with her boyfriend Jordan and said hello. If you are ever in Bel Air, please stop by Vibrato, she is a fantastic host. I got Herb's own set list once again, but as you will notice, the set list is the same as last night but with only one encore. I think Herb must have complained about the small type on his set list last night. Herb was going to introduce the two Bill Cantos tunes in the wrong spot last night before Lani stepped in. His set list tonight was two pages because the type was so big! We love you Herb!

BERIMBAU

WHAT NOW MY LOVE/NIGHT AND DAY - Give the bass player some! Herb stepped aside and ushered Hussain Jiffrey center stage so he could dazzle us with a masterful 6-string bass solo front and center. It was so clearly apparent tonight that Herb just loves playing with these guys. But more on that in a minute.

PARARAIO

BESEME MUCHO - Herb was like Mickey Mouse in "Fantasia", directing drummer Michael Shapiro like the brooms in the Sorcerer's chamber. As he played he motioned to Michael to bring more water! Bring less water! Bring more water! Now pour it on! If you would have asked me last night if that version of "Beseme" could be topped, I would have laughed at you. I was wrong. My God, did they knock it out of the park tonight! Herb insisted that Michael stand up and take a bow.

THAT OLD BLACK MAGIC

LET'S FACE THE MUSIC AND DANCE - Lani was smokin tonight. Like Kathleen Turner in "Body Heat". So Sultry. Herb started by acknowledging the tunes writer Irving Berlin. Herb remarked, "He couldn't tell a C note from a screw driver. But they built him this special piano, and he wrote these amazing songs that will live on long after I'm gone".

MORNING COFFEE

WHO ARE YOU - Bill Cantos is just an amazing musician and songwriter. And just such an approachable great guy. Got to talk to Bill before the show. Bill said that they have been shooting footage of all the shows so far including San Diego. They got some some really cool footage last night with the steady cam and in San Diego with all of the monitors and levels at Anthology from what Bill told me. They were filming tonight yet again, but it was a standard shoulder-mount cam. Bill said they they still have not been told what Herb plans on doing with the footage. I told Bill that last night's audience reminded me of when I went to the Roundabout Theatre in New York to see Joe Jackson record a new album live. "It was called, "Big World". Hey! Another great A&M recording! They handed out flyers before the show telling us to keep quiet till after the songs were finished. That is how the REDCAT audience was both last night and tonight. They just waited till after the last note rang out before they cheered. Just amazing.

I'VE GROWN ACCOSTOMED (SP!) TO HER FACE - Herb and Lani "made out" numerous times onstage tonight. Get a room you two! We loved it.

DINORAH/MORNING

JUST LIKE A STAR/A TASTE OF HONEY - I just love the "Do, Do, Do Do - Do-Ya Do" that Lani sings during "Taste"!

I'VE GOT YOU UNDER MY SKIN/RISE - The set was so loose, we got an extra 12 bars of Rise with a nifty new run by Herb! Another major highlight of tonight's nightcap of the twinight double header.

PAPER MOON

CORCOW-TRISTE-ONE NOTE SAMBA - Standing ovation

ENCORE

YOU GO TO MY HEAD/LIKE A LOVER - Herb left the mikes and went to the lip of the stage and played. Spine tingling. No amplification. Just he and his horn and his still intact amazing tone. It reminded me of when Tony Bennett tells his soundman to turn off his mike and he belts it out to the third mezzanine. Like Tony, Herb still has it. And Tony is in 80's. Hell, Herb is just a youngster!

LAURA - Second standing o

ALTERNATE SONGS - NOT PLAYED

HAPPY WOMEN

MY FUNNY VALENTINE

WHEN SUNNY GETS BLUE - This and "My Funny Valentine" have yet to see the light of day this tour. I hope you folks on the East Coast get a new treat.

WILD IS THE WIND

Well, I was hoping since they will have the whole month of April off before heading east, I thought maybe they would do a few tune-up nights at Vibrato. Unfortunately the Vibrato Calender is booked for April. So I pass the torch to my friends out East and the folks in the Northwest.

I expect FULL reports. I'm going to be living vicariously through them!

That wraps it up from tonight's finish to an incredible double-header. As the great Satchel Paige once said, "Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."

Thanks again, CherryStreet. Your reports are magnificent. Hopefully we East-Coasters will be able to do as well.

I suspect I'll end up rather star-struck and blathering, but I'll give it a whirl.

Harry

Hi -- So sorry, I posted this as a new topic and it should have been posted under this already created topic! I think my original post was locked for that reason so folks can't reply. So, my sincere apologies for not following board etiquette. Here is my post again:

Hi, All --
Gosh, I have been away for so long that I forgot my login and had to register again! I was one of the lucky ones who got to see and hear Herb and Lani at REDCAT -- I went Friday night. I didn't have a ticket (it sold out fast!) but drove up from the O.C. on the chance that there might be a returned ticket. I figured it was definitely worth the gas, hassle and parking fee to give it a try. As it turned out, it WAS worth it. Pianist Bill Cantos ended up returning a ticket, which became mine - and I ended up in Row 3 for an absolutely fantastic concert!! I can't really improve on the review that's already been posted, except to say as a former trumpet player I can really appreciate the chops that Herb still has! And I don't think Lani has ever sounded better -- she was a master class in jazz singing; is truly a singer's singer. As Herb said at one point, "she's really got IT!" I hope every female jazz singer in L.A. got to hear her during this gig! Anyway -- I had my tiny digital camera with me and was able to sneak a few shots here and there (no flash, of course); the ambiance was loose and friendly and there were people taking the occasional snapshot from the audience, so I judged it was OK as long as I didn't snap away all night (gotta love digital cameras and their portability and silence!). I posted them on my Shutterfly account. I have never shared Shutterfly photos before, so I hope I did it right, but I think you can just go to http://herbalpert.shutterfly.com to take a look. Hope you can and will leave a comment or two! The concert was red hot and I truly hope they will either decide to record some of this as a CD (wouldn't a "Live at REDCAT" CD be great?!) or DVD...as was mentioned, there was a videographer there filming. I saw Aria Alpert and her (as I found out by eavesdropping, since they came over to greet pals sitting in my row) new hubby -- she is the spitting image of Lani, I think. Eden and Dore were there too. It was really a loose, informal and happy concert, with the band sizzling and fleet and lots of love and affection shown throughout between Herb and Lani -- so great to see that they are still truly soulmates after all these years. So great to be a longtime fan -- since the '70s for me (I was in grade school and Herb inspired me to take up trumpet!) and still going to Herb Alpert concerts after all these years. Anyway -- let me know what you think of the pix! -- Mary

Your photos really bring this event to life! I looked at them all--it's nice to see such good musicians as Lani and Herb still looking and performing good...

Dave

I think the "Corcow" listed on Herb's set list is "Corcov" - short for "Corcovado" (also known in English as "Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars"), a Jobim classic with some of the most beautiful English lyrics ever (can't vouch for the Portuguese ones, but I'm sure they're even better!). -- Mary

I want to thank the list for informing me that the tour is coming to the east coast! I work in DC and just ordered a ticket for the Blues Alley show on the first of the two shows they have here. I'll be happy to post a review when I get back from it.

On the off-chance that someone associated with their party reads this, thanks for coming to DC! (I would have done NYC, since I'm relocating to there by the end of the year, but unfortunately the dates there didn't work out for my bride-tobe.) Which reminds me....if either of them are available in mid-October for a wedding, to hell with the liturgy - we'll let em sing and play! :)

(songs I would love to hear them do: Save the Sunlight and Come What May)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom