• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Lionel Hampton R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakeicer

Just heard that Lionel Hampton passed away at the age of 94. I always
thought his style of playing was so smooth. Sad that he lost so many of his awards and memorabilia in a nearly fatal fire in NYC.

Three or four years ago Nightline had about five old jazzers that were in their 80's and 90's and Ted Koppel asked in his startched form, "How does the future look for your generation of musicians?" Lionel answered, "Bleak"

Peace amigo Hampton. Jay

cakeicer said:
Just heard that Lionel Hampton passed away at the age of 94.

I always loved Hamp's playing on vibes. I saw him a long time ago with a big band and he played drums as well as vibes. He was always grunting and groaning when on vibes. I have a Gene Krupa small group album with Hampton on it, and he just went nuts on "I've Got Rhythm". He was quick and melodical. Don't forget that he was also a composer, who wrote "Midnight Sun". Another jazz legend who will be missed.

Capt. Bacardi

I heard Lionel at the Chicago Jazz Fest a few years back. He loved to perform. He came back for encore after encore. They finally had to cut the power on stage to get him off. I guess the city didn't want to pay the stagehands overtime! A few years earlier, at the Milwaukee Summerfest, he came out with an arm load of his records and started throwing them out to the crowd. He was a lovely guy. In my mind, this was the way a big band should sound. Lot's of energy. Hamp, Basie, and Woody Herman are the big band's young people should listen to...they'd get hooked.

P.S. Hamp has a pretty good autobiography out if anyone wants to know more.

Hey didn't he play on Joan Baez's "Children And All That Jazz" on her DIAMONDS AND RUST album? No, wait... that was Hampton Hawes.

Dave

Gioccho Adesso: Joan Baez "Hello In..." DIAMONDS AND RUST A&M SP 4527

...wondering why this isn't in the JAZZ forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom