• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Live in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
raz42289 said:
Why didn't A&M ever release Live in Japan in the U.S. :?:

Good question - and it holds true for other A&M artists as well. Sergio Mendes, Burt Bacharach and Carpenters all did live concerts that were recorded and released overseas but not here in the US. Performance rights issues? Who knows. One, Sergio Mendes' In Concert LP was issued in England but recorded in the US!

raz42289 said:
Why didn't they put it on 1 cd?

That I have a better answer for. The Japanese are sticklers for releasing product exactly the way it originally appeared. Since it was always a two-record set, they mimicked it for CD by putting it on two discs. That's also why they seem to like that mini-LP format for CDs these days - it's closer to the original packaging. I'm surprised they havent found a way to make us flip the CDs over like we used to do with LPs!

Harry
NP: Voice Of The Heart - Carpenters

Carpenters are from U.S and they did concerts there. So if you're a U.S. citizen and had time and money, you had a chance to see them perform in your neartest concert place while they were still active.
On the other hand, it is difficult and expensive for foreign fans to fly them there to see them perform live.

The record company has a popular act prepare a live album for such fans.
It would cost them much less to get a live album out than an album of studio recordings.
Still, they have to give guarantees to the artist for their performances.
The home record comany meaninig A&M in this case, did not need to ask Carpenters to record a live album.

It seems that most foreign artists are requested to release a live album on their 3rd visit to Japan. A sign of their stable popularity here and promising sales of their records.

So live albums are each country's specialty, especially prepared for the fans there.

But there are exceptions. One particular live album that hit the U.S. charts was Cheap Trick's AT BUDOUKAN.

C's live recording is heard on Reader's Digest Their Greatest Hits & Fine Performances: Bacharach & David Medley.

Yes this is a good question...I remember years & years ago walking into the record store at the import section & finding the Live in Japan CD set, I know I must have paid dearly for it but I still have it & just recently aquired the Live in Japan LP format w/ cool poster inside & other pics I had not seen before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom