LOST TREASURES CD Cover Art and Song Listing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cover photo for LOST TREASURES can be found on the back of the '68-'69-era tour book.

tourbookback400.jpg

Click here for a large wallpaper-sized version on which I did a quick and dirty scan.

Harry

Wow Harry...that's awesome!!

It's so great to see these things coming out, seeing the light of day, isn't it? I mean, back when I worked in the record store (in the early '80s when CDs were in their infancy), it seemed the TJB's came a dime-a-dozen. What a fool I was!!

I guess it's true what they say about things coming full circle. In this case, the TJB catalogue. Glad to see 'em back!!

Thanks for the scan, Harry!! :)

Jon

A few more odds and ends that could be considered for a second "Lost" CD would include some of the unique mono mixes, particularly "Tijuana Taxi" and "Zorba The Greek".

There's also the non-English versions of "This Guy's In Love With You", which I know were recorded by Herb in both Spanish and Italian.

Harry

Well, glad those "unreleased" songs are finally coming out of the vault and being put on CD...! Might be fun to change the order I'll play 'em in...! :D

Does anyone know if they will be All-Instrumental or will Herb do some singing, as he did on "This Guy's..." or maybe done in Vocalese like stuff from the Warm album...? :?:

Nice cover, too! Yeah...Herb looks a little "lost", there...doesn't he...? :goofygrin:

Oh, and "Wailing Of The Willow" was done by Liza Minnelli on her Come Saturday Morning album, too...

Dave

In thinking of "Julius & Me," I recall the many times I've wondered why Herb never recorded "Fowl Play" or "Summer Samba" -- two songs (IMHO) that would have been well-suited to the TJB sound.

Jon

While I think the Spanky/Our Gang "Lazy Day" is the most likely choice, there's also a track by that name on the Moody Blues album ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM with a very nice melody.

"Chris" I'm assuming is the same tune featured on Pisano & Ruff UNDER THE BLANKET.

JB

I'm hoping Popcorn is the Gershon Kingsley song made popular by Hot Butter instead of the song of the same name done by Walter Wanderley & Luiz Henrique. It will be interesting to hear either way. I made myself a homemade TJB compilation cd a few years ago where I used the same photo for the tray liner of my cd that is being used for the Lost Treasures cover. I then used the photo from The Happening picture sleeve for the cover of my cd because he's wearing the same white suit and seemed to go well with the other photo. Maybe that photo will be used on the back of Lost Treasures.

kenny said:
I then used the photo from The Happening picture sleeve for the cover of my cd because he's wearing the same white suit and seemed to go well with the other photo.

Front?:

TheHappening.jpg

or back?:

TownWithoutPity.jpg

Harry

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks Harry! I realized after I posted that the cover I had on my homemade compilation actually was the Lost Treasure cover, The Happening photo was on the back (not that any of this matters).
- Kenny

The mind blowing front photo of The Happening sleeve is what I used for the back of my cd. Sorry.

I doubt this will happen, but it could be cool to have one of these "Lost Treasures" released as a single. Lord knows the radio format could use something fresh these days. :rolleyes:

Capt. Bacardi

Harry said:
LOST TREASURES VOLUME 2?

We can only hope!

That may not be a far-fetched idea. I seem to recall about how someone through Steve Hoffman's forum was looking for clean mono copies of a couple of TJB albums, which had many of us thinking about reissues of those. We know "Mexican Drummer Man" was NOT a favorite tune of Herb's, so maybe he's holding back on some tunes. Randy Alpert told me there were about 6 or 7 Sol Lake tunes, plus John Pisano said he had "a few" of his songs that were recorded but not released. It's pretty obvious that not all - if any - of the Lake & Pisano stuff is not on this new collection. So theoretically, there could be enough for another volume of rarities. Theoretically. :wink:

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
I look at songs like "Flowers On The Wall" and "Tennessee Waltz" and ask WHY??? At first glance I kind of shudder just thinking of those tunes. But I do remember when Chet Baker did his Mariachi Brass and he did "Flowers". Not that it was good, but he did record it. I guess we'll know for sure in 6 weeks. I'm also curious about "Julius and Me" - maybe a duet of some kind?

Looks like it's going to be a digi-pak kind of thing as well.

Capt. Bacardi

I can see FLOWERS ON THE WALL getting theTJB treatment...it really wouldn't be a whole lot different than MEXICAN DRUMMER MAN when you think about it...I can hear a great marimba or vibe interplay with the trumpet and bone, especially on the chorus. BTW, there was a vibe intro to the orignal Statler Brothers recording...and the vibes that were used are still at RCA's Studio B where it was recorded[and I've played 'em...along with the piano Elvis used on his records...]. The way the tempo varies, almost stopping in a couple of places, it might be similar to A TASTE OF HONEY, as well...maybe it has the same feel as MONDAY MONDAY...it'll be interesting to hear Herb's take on it...

The TJB did LET IT BE ME, so why not TENNESSEE WALTZ ? The BMB did DEAR HEART, and Herb was involved in the arranging, so it isn't too much of a stretch...remember, in the early days, Herb was trying to find a niche for the TJB sound...and western swing carries a lot of mariachi elements with it in a lot of instances. It might not sound a lot different than EL LOBO or even TIJUANA SAUERKRAUT...both were in3/4 time, as I remember...

I agree that neither of these tunes fit the traditional TJB mold, but at first glance, neither would LEMON TREE or I'VE GROWN ACCUSTOMED TO HER FACE, and these two were standouts on their respective albums.

I can't wait for this album...it'll be like going back 40 years in time...A BRAND NEW TJB album...that's in effect what it really is...

Dan

LPJim said:
While I think the Spanky/Our Gang "Lazy Day" is the most likely choice, there's also a track by that name on the Moody Blues album ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM with a very nice melody.

"Chris" I'm assuming is the same tune featured on Pisano & Ruff UNDER THE BLANKET.

JB

Wasn't there a jazz tune called LAZY DAY ? I seem to remember playing it in jazz band in High school ca. 1971 or so...

Dan

Besides "Mexican Drummer Man", "El Bimbo", "Music To Watch...", and the two foreign language versions of "This Guy..." other missing items include "Somewhere", "Neverland", "Desert Dance", "Whistle While You Work" and "California Girls" all of whihc were part of their live shows (or on their way to becoming tracks on a third 70s era TJB LP).

--Mr Bill
apprehensive that the inclusion of 5ive YS-TSB tracks on Lost Treasures means no YS-TSB or Coney Island reissues...

And what about "Up Cherry Street"??? Is it another version by the original TJB or the You Smile -- The Song Begins version with Dave Frishberg's frenetic hoppin' dixie-style intro? I guess we'll know in eight weeks...

--Mr Bill

IMHO there's probably plenty in the vaults for a Vol. 2 of Lost Treasures.

I think we'll see both You Smile and Coney Island eventually. After all, both "Last Tango In Paris" and "Fox Hunt" were charted singles, and "Save The Sunlight" and "Coney Island" made a splash on the EZ chart.

Capt. Bacardi
...urging patience, online...

I hope that Music To Watch Girls By eventually shows up somewhere. I saw them play it live in 1969, and couldn't figure out why they had never covered it before on a recording.

IMO, it sounded better and more natural for the TJB sound and style than a few other songs they covered here and there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom