1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Make Your Own Kind Of Music

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Harry, Jul 6, 2018.

1. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

^^Unfortunately, those same issues could be applied to the later
    1976-1980 television specials
    --and, those are the TV Specials for which
    it is well-documented that the duo states they had total control !
    If they were mishandled in 1971 (for television) due to poor management,
    then, to what reason do we ascribe those same issues in the later full-on
    (Weintraub managed & Weintraub produced) Carpenters' Specials ?

Must Hear This Album likes this.
  2. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

^^Could've had something to do with Karen's health issues and Richard's Quaalude addiction. Major distractions to the tasks at hand. How much control could they have possibly had over an entertainment medium in which they really knew nothing about. If they did have "total control", Richard sure contradicts this years later on the BBC documentary The Carpenters' Story Only Yesterday with the following statement;

"mentally I wasn't in the mood to be doing these things once we finally got one and secondly I didn't want anything with skits, I didn't want canned laughter, I hate that. Karen on the other hand loved all of this stuff and so she took to them. By this point in time when it came to the specials they really should have been Karen specials because; what do you do with me? I'm a behind-the-scenes guy."

That doesn't sound like a guy that is exercising "total control" of the content of these productions. More like Weintraub presented a "blueprint" for a typical late 70s variety show, and they signed off on it, not being in their proper minds (the issues mentioned above).

3. GaryAlan

^^I'll dig up the references--that is, the references "of-the-day"
    NOT later recollections; as Richard certainly did change his views later on.
    I stand by what I have read, they exercised complete control over those later Specials,
    and those specials were not much of an improvement to earlier television specials under
    different management.
    Let us recall--Richard later regretted any involvement in tht CBS-Movie.
    Let us recall--Richard later relegated and demoted Voice Of The Heart to "staying on the shelf."

He sure seemed an "on-the-scenes" participant in those earlier MYOKOM Shows.
    And, the Newspaper interview/article, 1978, during production of Space Encounters,
    has both Richard and Karen ecstatic about its outcome.

4. Portlander

Portlander Active Member

^ Richard basically just played along and tried to be a good sport during the "Make Your Own Kind of Music" series and their run of TV specials from 76-80. In my opinion, Daryl Dragon had a similar role and approach with the Captain & Tennille series which ran from late 76 to early 77. Toni, like Karen was the more extroverted star of the duo and enjoyed the skits and comedy routines while each of their partners preferred to hide behind the keyboards and concentrate on the music.

Even the Sonny and Cher show focused more on Cher and tended to make Sonny appear to be second tier and the subject of insults which actually worked for the audience. The Donnie and Marie show was a little different from the other duos because they both had extensive television experience and show business savvy at early ages through the family entertainment empire which added greatly to their comfort level. Though the format was similar to Sonny and Cher due to Donnie being the fall guy for Marie's jabs.

5. GaryAlan

Given Richard Carpenter's personality--or, what I know of it--
    I find it difficult to believe he would "play along"
    to anything he really did not want to be a part of.

6. Portlander

Portlander Active Member

Stating that he wasn't in the mood to be doing these things, didn't want anything to do with skits or canned laughter and using the "hate" word to sum his overall feelings indicated to me that he played along and was a good sport which is a positive character trait. Management, A&M, Karen, ABC, parents, money, professional pride and ego surely drove him to engage in projects he was not comfortable with. When my girlfriend wants me to attend an opera, pick strawberries, listen to Billy Idol, watch Hallmark movies, go kayaking, eat brussel sprouts or anything else I loathe, I sometimes tend to "play along".

Jarred likes this.
  7. GaryAlan

The Carpenters' Fan Club Newsletter July 1971 emphasizes that.... "this is THEIR show"
    (capitalized 'THEIR' in the original Newsletter).
    Then this:
    "To Karen, TV taping is a drag when not on camera. Ambitious young lady that she is, she
    hates to stand around and wait. Then, there is rehearsing. Lots of rehearsing !
    The same song, over and over again..."

The Newsletter does NOT mention Richard Carpenter and the taping of MYOKOM.
    I stand by my belief: Richard Carpenter did not "play along."
    He was fulfilling a contractual agreement, though.