• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"Mendes" pronounciation on Timeless...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The correct spelling is "Mas Que Nada".

Oh, sorry, wrong question...

Harry :)

Well, Jay Leno pronounced it MEND-DEHHHZZZZ!!!...! :tongue:

Dave

...Praying after the TONIGHT SHOW Fiasco, that Herb Alpert won't be...You Know, "Albert"! :|

Well judging from TIMELESS, it appears to be mostly "Serge-ee-YO!" or "SERjo" or "Ser-gee-eye-yo."

Actually I haven't counted, but I think will.i.am and the Black Eyed Peas get more name mentions on the album than Sergio does.

Thank you, Harry...

Too bad that there isn't an FAQ for the Sergio forum. It could include:

0. It's "Mas Que Nada".
1. There are 2 Janis Hansens. The actress and the vocalist.
2. Lani Hall is the only singer on the "Herb Alpert Presents" album. Bibi Vogel is pictured on front and Janis Hansen is on back, but neither of them actually sang on the album.
3. Janis Hansen is the lead vocalist on "Look of Love".
4. Karen Philipp is the lead vocalist on "For What It's Worth".
5. Gracinha Leporeal who sang "Lapinha" on "Fool on the Hill" is Gracinha Leporace.
6. Sergio is credited to only play "Percussion" on his comeback single "Never Gonna Let You Go". Robbie Buchanan played all piano and synthesizers.
7. Brasil is spelled with an "s", like Mendes.
8. "Brasil '77" started in 1971. "Brasil '88" started in 1978. "Brasil '86" is an album. For touring purposes: Brasil '99, Brasil 2000, Brasil 2001, etc...
9. Sergio Mendes married Gracinha Leporace in 1973 and are still married.
10. Lani Hall is still married to Herb Alpert.

Any others that people can think of?

By the way, I think, technically, his name is really "Sérgio Mendes" with that little accent over the "e" in Sergio. Several of his Brazilian releases have spelled his name that way.

(Hold the "Alt" key and tap out "0233" on the numeric keypad in Windows to get that character on US keyboards.)

Harry

Too bad that there isn't an FAQ for the Sergio forum.
Actually your friendly Moderator team has brought up that possibility. We're working on a Herb Alpert FAQ right now so as soon as that's done.....

Thanks for the consise list. That'll come in handy.

Sergio Mendes needs to be hip & cool and spell his name like WILL.I.AM.

Perhaps, SURG.E.O, or maybe, SERGY.O.MENDEZ

Trevor of West Hollywood said:
...Sergio is credited to only play "Percussion" on his comeback single "Never Gonna Let You Go"; Robbie Buchanan played all piano and synthesizers...

Funny, how "just playing percussion..."

The A&M Guy From... said:
...That's not him singing on "Never Gonna Let You Go"--It's Joe Pizzulo...

...And not even being "involved enough to sing..."

...That this was his BIGGEST HIT! And where are the Brasilian Florishes? "Mais Que Nada", "With A Little Help From My Friends" and "Scarborough Fair", etc. really had a lot more FLAIR!!!

Dave

...Who, HIMSELF, thought SER-GEE-OH was a SINGER, when it wasn't either of those two girls...! :laugh:

Mike said:

:laugh: That's good, Mike. Damn I wish we were able to get together back when I was in Japan -- we have the same sense of humor.

But back to the question at hand... On TV appearances I've heard it both ways: MEN-dez and men-DEZ. I suppose one is correct in Brazil and the other is the "American-ized" pronunciation... It's a big issue in the broadcast news field especially here in southern California where some broadcasters say towns and persons names either with Spanish pronunciation or the Anglicized pronunciation.

--Myst.R B.Ill

On "Samba Da Bencao (Samba Of The Blessing)", Marcelo D2 covers the Brasilian pronounciation. But listening to the live albums from the 70s, it seems Sergio americanized his own name?

Other possible facts for the FAQ:

12. On Homecooking, Marietta Waters uses "Araiza" as her last name.
13. A model was used on the "Fool on the Hill" cover, not one of the singers.
14. After touring for the promotion of País Tropical, Karen Philipp left Brasil '77 to start an acting career. Karen's first big role was in the pilot of M*A*S*H* (as Lt. Dish).
15. In early 1968, "Brasil '66" quit. When they (Lani Hall, Janis Hansen, Bob Matthews, Jose Soares, and João Palma) were touring, they felt that they didn't receive the same treatment as Sergio Mendes. Herb Alpert strongly suggested to Lani Hall to beg Sergio for her job back. A new Brasil '66 formed: Sergio Mendes, Lani Hall with Karen Philipp, Sebastião Neto, Dom Um Romão, and Rubens Bassini. Janis Hansen, Bob Matthews, and Jose Soares from the former Brasil '66 formed a group called "Carnival" with producer Bones Howe (of 5th Dimension fame, and who would also later produce Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77's "Love Music" and "Vintage '74")
16. Brasil '66 did not get royalties. They were paid to sing and play on the album and to tour.
17. Most of the singers were american. In the early days, Sergio taught them how to sing the portuguese songs phonetically. Gracinha now teaches new singers.

Okay, #15 is more than one fact.

Mike said:

I reckon, what with texting being the thing, he should become:

srgo mndz

In early 1968, "Brasil '66" quit. When they (Lani Hall, Janis Hansen, Bob Matthews, Jose Soares, and João Palma) were touring, they felt that they didn't receive the same treatment as Sergio Mendes. Herb Alpert strongly suggested to Lani Hall to beg Sergio for her job back.
Is this really true? This is the first time I've heard this account of how the band was revamped.

That story is documented by Janis Hansen in the liner notes to THE CARNIVAL album re-issue from RevOla.

Harry

I noticed the huge number of name mentions for The Black Eyed Peas throughout the entire Sergio album, beginning with the first track.

What's with the "Will.i.am" thing anyway? "I Am" is another term for the deity, like Jehovah, Yawah, God, the Messiah, etc.

That dude's got no shortage of self-esteem, nerve, chutzpah, etc.
JB

I always thought he was copying "Sam I Am" from Dr. Seuss' GREEN EGGS AND HAM.

But you are totally right about his ego! I do think HIS name (or the Black Eye Peas) are mentioned far more than Sergio's does.

True, and I can take that another step further.
Several times when Will.i.am takes a break from rapping, he says "Play That Piano, Sergio" or something like that.
It's as if Mendes has been relegated to session man on his own album, at best, and being treated like a servant, at worst.
I think that young whipper-snapper needs to be a little more deferential toward his elders.
JB

2038 will be the Black Eyed Peas 40th anniversary. In 2040, Will.i.am will be the same age as Sergio is today...

Do you think that there will be an album tributing Black Eyed Peas and Will.i.am for their sound that has lasted over the years?

It's called Karma.

(spoken like someone from L.A.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom