• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

More Reissues On The Way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
lonely bull said:
I actually bought all my Shout! issues from Amazon.com and I got them pretty much as soon as they were released - I will probably do the same with the next load as I can't wait months till we get them over here!!!!!!

Wise choice! I can't tell you how many times I've waited for some CD titles to be released over here, rather than buy expensive imports. And I've "missed the boat" more than a few times, while being fortunate that I did buy some titles that never did get reissued over here, even now. Life's too short--I figure if I want it bad enough, I'll find a way to get it.

lonely bull said:
The hard to get CD's that I mentioned were the 80's and 90's CD issues - I was lucky to buy Volume 2, Whipped Cream, Going Places, Foursider, South of the Border, Lonely Bull, The Christmas Album plus all the compilation CD's. Soon after I bought them they went out of print - hence they are so hard to find over here! I Thank my lucky stars I got them when I did!

That brings me to another point: I was guessing that some of these titles would be around for longer than they were. I bought my favorites, but decided to wait "a little bit" to get the ones further down on my list. "A little bit" turned into a year or two, and titles I wanted were out of print. Not just in TJB, but in a lot of others. For TJB, I never got the reissue compilations (Greatest Hits, Solid Brass, Foursider, etc.), but those were no great loss. I did miss out on What Now My Love and Beat Of The Brass though. In the mid 90s, though, I lucked across a BOTB in a used record shop, and grabbed it immediately; never did get What Now My Love. Well, not until the Shout remasters came out, anyway.

Yes I know what You mean! I learnt my lesson and now I buy new releases / imports as soon as I see them! I am also a fan of Eric Burdon ( The Animals ) and saw a U.S release called " Retrospective " which was not available over here even as a import. I saw loads for sale on eBay in the U.S put the postage costs put me off. I visited my sister in law in Phoenix earlier this Year and bought while I was over. I had a fantastic 3 weeks in Phoenix and didn't want to come back to the cold and the rain here. What Imports were You looking for? Were they from the U.K.? What other artists are You into apart from Herb?

I don't think there's enough space on the board here for Rudy to list all his musical interests! :D

I didn't buy any of the TJB compilations when they first came out either, except GREATEST HITS VOL. 2. I was lucky to find the original GREATEST HITS CD in the Virgin Megastore at Walt Disney World long after it was cut-out. I wanted to get it, mainly for the song "America" which is really my only essential favorite track on the VOLUME 2 album. (Although I will buy that album when Shout reissues it!)

Hey! be careful with the Volume 2 thing on here! We don't want to start more rioting! Seriously though, it's a great album and it IS a milestone - surely they have to release it? I bought Greatest Hits on CD back in the 90's and also have a still sealed copy. That particular CD seems to be quite easy to get hold of, even after all these Years.

From the Captain's first post, it sounds as if a LOST TREASURES II is in the works, comprising of unreleased material from the RISE/BEYOND period. That should be interesting...:cool:

Thank God for the Internet! This is great news indeed. I have a question for my A&M amigos. During the late 60's, I was a member of the Herb A. & TJB fan club. That was a very cool fan club. I recall when "Warm" came out, they sent a fan letter which stated that "Herb Alpert recorded "Warm" for a very special reason." To find out that "reason" one had to call a phone number and a recording with Herb's voice would explain it all. I lived in Puerto Rico at the time, and long distance tolls were quite "prohibitive" for me then, as a poor college student. Can anyone here at this A&M Corner inform me why Herb recorded "Warm"? The only clue I can come up with, is that he made a trip to Rio de Janeiro in Brazil, and he caught the MPB (Musica Popular Brasileira) "fever" but I am not sure. And yes, this is one of my very favorite Herb Alpert albums. It has always astounded me that this album was never re-issued. It deserved the "Mobile Fidelity" treatment in my opinion. Warm regards to my dear A&M collegues around the globe! :love:

I Was a kid at that time, but if my memory serves me correctly, Herb explains he recorded that album after his separation from his wife.
I guess that would explain the somewhat sombre wistful tones of the album. I did have a blast calling the number & hearing Herbs voice!
Marty

"Warm" was promoted with a toll-free 800 number you called to listen to Herb talking about the songs. The campaign included full page newspaper ads here in Atlanta and elswehere, with a blown up image of the back of the album...Alpert on horse.

Toll-free numbers were a big deal in 1969. The fact that I didn't have to pay the long distance charge was the only reason my parents allowed me to call it.

Dialing in, my heart was racing, thinking I was actually going to be put through to the Man when his secretary answered and (in a prerecorded voice) said, "Herb Alpert's office...just a moment." Then he came on and said, "Hi. This is Herb Alpert, and I'd like to tell you about our new summer album. We call it 'Warm.""

The recording included a few cuts from the album. In all, it went on for about a minute. And only a few days after the promotion began, it ended. A repeat call to the number turned up the "no longer in service" message from Ma Bell.

Many thanks to Richard and Marty for that info. I've also been hearing about an upcoming show at Vibarto featuring Herb and Lani. I'm really hoping this will be recorded. It's been too long since they last recorded.

NOTE: The discussion about the new iTunes versions of VOLUME 2, WARM and THE BRASS ARE COMIN' has been split into its own topic on the forum...please continue that discussion there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom