• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

More Reissues On The Way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could live without 4-sider, I could live without Bullish, but, Coney Island would be nice to see on a CD.

Mike

I tend to agree with Mike B. in that I'll take whatever comes along and be grateful for it.

But I still have a nagging question for people like "lonely bull": Where were you guys when GREATEST HITS, GREATEST HITS 2, FOURSIDER, and SOLID BRASS (and even VOLUME 2!) were as common as dirt in the CD racks? For years, I waited for the original albums, tired of the same old comps that filled the "Alpert" section of every store.

Is it a case of you really like the comps but hated the old mastering? Or did you just not buy the CDs back then for some other reason (like not being into CDs yet)? Or do you just want them redone in digipak style to fit nicely on your shelves alongside the other Signature Series releases?

I'm just curious, that's all...

Harry

Harry - In case You didn't realise - I live in the U.K, where TJB albums are not readily available - I was very lucky to be able to pick up a few TJB albums from H.M.V in London's Oxford Street before they went out of print - now they are impossible to find. So I consider myself very lucky really to find them when I did. I also bought a few TJB albums on ebay .com. (Volume 2 included) So, in simple terms we don't quite have it as easy as You do in the U.S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's hard to believe now, but I went through a pretty long period where I dind't listen to much TJB, or Sergio Mendes for that matter. I had just sort of "moved on" to other musical things -- until I found A&M Corner, and had my interest reawakened. I learned a whole lot more about the music, the writers, the players, and the record company, than I had ever known before, all of which makes the music that much more interesting to listen to.

I did buy pretty much every compilation on CD when it came out, except SOLID BRASS and FOURSIDER. Got the rest of them. I was shortsighted in that I figured, I had the LPs of all the songs, why buy them again? Then when I got back into the music via the Corner, it made me want to get the best possible copies I could.

The other appeal for me as always, is the new packaging. I probably get as much pleasure poring over the liner notes, pictures and essays in a good reissue as I do listening to the music.

I can see Volume 2 coming out, as it had been out on CD before... I'm sure The Brass Are Comin' would follow; it was based on Herb's TV show and--Who knows?--there may be a few "outtakes" included on it... Warm and Summertime seem fairly similar in construction and sound that they'd be out simoutaneously and Coney Island along with Bonus Singles would probably follow...

I would expect a series of Herb's solo stuff to include You Smile... and Just You And Me and I'm sure we'd get Rise with it, just for openers...

Anyway, I will know it, when I see it... :twisted:

Dave

I am just waking up from sleeping,and it is the first day of the year,2007. I went to check my email,and as usual, after I'm done with that, I come here.

Even though I'm somewhat still asleep, when I read The Captain's posting, I felt like leaping in the air! I knew Herb wouldn't let us down! He and Shout were probably looking at the sales of the previous reissues, and probably decided that this year was the time to release a second batch of cds as well.

Here's hoping that they finally release WARM, SUMMERTIME, THE BRASS ARE COMIN',and also as for solo stuff, BEYOND, FANDANGO, and the one that started it all for me: MAGIC MAN.(Also UNDER A SPANISH MOON, and MY ABSTRACT HEART as well.)

This is great news! I am sure I will be investing in the new releases. I never owned Warm or Summertime, so I have only heard a song or two from these albums. I am also looking forward to hearing Fox Hunt and Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor again, on YSTSB which I lost years ago.

Another song I like is Grandpa Lou from Just You and Me -- what a beautiful and powerful piece of music.

Nathan Strum said:
I'm really hoping for Main Event Live (even more hopefully with bonus tracks). :thumbsup:

If they taped the entire concert, it would be a really nice document to hear the whole thing, in original order. :agree:

I just forked out for a new turntable to convert my old vinal LP'S of tjb and Herb solo's to CD. Now I guess I can do the same to my Baja Marinba and other rare A&M vinals. It would be a long shot that these will be remastered to CD's in the near future so I should not be wasting my time. The guy's who forked out big bucks for "Blow your own horn" and "brass are comin' " CD's will be getting a little nervous about the new releases.

Not wishing to be greedy in any way, but when Randy next exchanges emails with the Captain, regarding details of the further reissues, maybe the Captain might like to make a gentle enquiry if Herb has anywhere on his radar at all, the prospect of putting the TJB TV specials out on DVD!?

Len :wink:

lswilson99 said:
Not wishing to be greedy in any way, but when Randy next exchanges emails with the Captain, regarding details of the further reissues, maybe the Captain might like to make a gentle enquiry if Herb has anywhere on his radar at all, the prospect of putting the TJB TV specials out on DVD!?

That's already been discussed as well. That's something that Shout! is (or at least was at one point) interested in doing. But that's more in the distant future - as in years away. Somewhere in the old posts this was mentioned.

Capt. Bacardi

Getting confused here "Captain" - You said in a earlier post that the next set of re - issues are nothing to do with Shout!factory. But presumably they still plan to release SOME material if as in Your latest post You say they were / are planning some of the T.V specials. Do You know to what extent Shout! is still involved with Herb?

lonely bull said:
Getting confused here "Captain" - You said in a earlier post that the next set of re - issues are nothing to do with Shout!factory.

That is NOT what I said. I said that Randy has nothing to do with Shout! Factory. All of the reissues will continue with Shout!

Capt. Bacardi

Sorry if I am being a bit thick here but if Randy has nothing to do with Shout! then how can the re-issues still be re - issued by Shout! ( does that make sense? ) OR - (I will put it into simpler terms) - I asked You if the re - issues where still being handled by Shout! or if it was a seperate venture and You replied Randy has nothing to do with Shout! Which I took to mean that it was a seperate venture ( from another recording company ) Please clarify!

Randy is Herb Alpert's nephew. Also known as Randy Badazz, he was the one who worked on the RISE and BEYOND albums with Herb, and is currently working with Herb on finishing material for bonus tracks on future reissues. Randy does NOT work for Shout!Factory, but he's on the "inside track" and indeed, he is the one who first informed the Captain about the TJB reissue program before it began.

Herb's future releases will be on Shout!Factory. Randy knows the ins-and-outs of the process because he's Herb's nephew and a writer/producer. That's all there is to it.

Captain Bacardi said:
lonely bull said:
Is Randy Alpert connected with Shout!Factory or is this to be a seperate venture?

Randy has nothing to do with Shout. Herb asked him to help with some things and that's what he's doing.

Capt. Bacardi

I was also under the impression that this was, effectively, a new venture (taken away from Shout!) given Captain Bacardi's response above. Now that we know otherwise, it may be appropriate to see if Shout! are prepared to give up some information at this time.

Len

I received a couple of e-mails from our good friend Randy Alpert, who said that there will be more TJB and solo Herb reissues heading our way in the near future!

Ahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa great news!

Mike Blakesley said:
Thanks Dave, but that link implies there's new info on the Shout website. There isn't....yet.

:thumbsup: They will announce titles when they are imminent for release. IOW, they would have the masters in hand, and manufacturing scheduled, before putting anything on the site.

lonely bull said:
Harry - In case You didn't realise - I live in the U.K, where TJB albums are not readily available - I was very lucky to be able to pick up a few TJB albums from H.M.V in London's Oxford Street before they went out of print - now they are impossible to find. So I consider myself very lucky really to find them when I did. I also bought a few TJB albums on ebay .com. (Volume 2 included) So, in simple terms we don't quite have it as easy as You do in the U.S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have the Shout Factory titles been easier to find over there? CD distribution is a lot different now than it was in the late 80s, so I'm hoping that the current and future titles are easier for you to acquire.

If it helps with future releases, I could put up a page with links to these titles on Amazon UK.

Hi Rudy
The Shout!factory titles have actually been manufactured in the U.K. The only problem being that they did not appear for a good few months after the U.S releases - for instance, we didn't get Lonely Bull and Lost Treasures until late on into 2006! But at least they are readily available in most good music shops over here as well as Amazon.co.uk The CD'S have been distributed over here by a company called High Coin ( under licence from Shout! ) they differ from the U.S versions by having a slightly glossy cover rather than the matt finish You guys got. Also, the way that the liner notes are stored is different - but they are of better quality than the U.S booklets - the printing is darker and sharper. The other thing is that we did not get the mini poster with the Whipped Cream issue ( what a swiz! ). I actually bought all my Shout! issues from Amazon.com and I got them pretty much as soon as they were released - I will probably do the same with the next load as I can't wait months till we get them over here!!!!!! The hard to get CD's that I mentioned were the 80's and 90's CD issues - I was lucky to buy Volume 2, Whipped Cream, Going Places, Foursider, South of the Border, Lonely Bull, The Christmas Album plus all the compilation CD's. Soon after I bought them they went out of print - hence they are so hard to find over here! I Thank my lucky stars I got them when I did!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom