New Carpenters Radio Documentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
Original air date: 18:00-20:00 (EDT), 10 September 2015

It has been 45 years since The Carpenters arrived on the scene with their first hit record "Close To You". The premature death of Karen Carpenter left us with a gigantic hole in the female vocal department for all time. Join Captain Rockit as he travels back to 1970 to relive the music, and the history behind the Carpenters. Also joining us will be Randy L. Schmidt, author of two books on The Carpenters. "Yesterday Once More", and "Little Girl Blue", (The Life Of Karen Carpenter). Randy will be joining us live for the entire show via telephone to discuss his books and the real story behind the tragedy of Karen Carpenter.

There will be all the hits along with deep cuts, rare tracks, cover versions, and tracks from Karen's shelved 1979 solo album. So if you love the Carpenters, enjoy them as a guilty pleasure, or just want to know more about Karen's life, be sure to join us at WUSB 90.1 FM Stony Brook or streaming live worldwide at wusb.fm. This will be a show not to miss so click JOIN on the Facebook event and be with us for a night to remember!

Link can be downloaded and played here: http://stream.wusb.stonybrook.edu:8090/content/4Thu-1800.pls

(Itunes, Winamp, FLV or Realplayer required)

https://www.facebook.com/events/884525254962116/891426117605363/

Original air date: 18:00-20:00 (EDT), 10 September 2015

It has been 45 years since The Carpenters arrived on the scene with their first hit record "Close To You". The premature death of Karen Carpenter left us with a gigantic hole in the female vocal department for all time. Join Captain Rockit as he travels back to 1970 to relive the music, and the history behind the Carpenters. Also joining us will be Randy L. Schmidt, author of two books on The Carpenters. "Yesterday Once More", and "Little Girl Blue", (The Life Of Karen Carpenter). Randy will be joining us live for the entire show via telephone to discuss his books and the real story behind the tragedy of Karen Carpenter.

There will be all the hits along with deep cuts, rare tracks, cover versions, and tracks from Karen's shelved 1979 solo album. So if you love the Carpenters, enjoy them as a guilty pleasure, or just want to know more about Karen's life, be sure to join us at WUSB 90.1 FM Stony Brook or streaming live worldwide at wusb.fm. This will be a show not to miss so click JOIN on the Facebook event and be with us for a night to remember!

Link can be downloaded and played here: http://stream.wusb.stonybrook.edu:8090/content/4Thu-1800.pls

(Itunes, Winamp, FLV or Realplayer required)

https://www.facebook.com/events/884525254962116/891426117605363/
Hi.

I downloaded the show from yesterday and it downloaded as a Winamp Playlist file. Also, it did not play the whole show. It stopped at the point where Randy was talking about Karen being signed to Magic Lamp Records.

Is there a way I can get the whole show as an MP3 file? Please let me know. Thank you very much.

Rob

Part two of this documentary aired this week...

Here it is, the grand finale of the two part special called Yesterday Once More. A Tribute To The Carpenters. Captain Rockit returns to WUSB with co hosts Eve and Randy L. Schmitt (author of Little Girl Blue-The Karen Carpenter Story) to continue where they left off with The Carpenters Tribute on September 10th. We will be discussing the later years of the duo's history, as well as the Karen Carpenter ill fated solo album and Karen's final tragic days. There will be lots more Carpenters songs and rare and unreleased tracks from Karen's sessions with producer Phil Ramone. Please join us for the bittersweet conclusion to one of the saddest tales in music history. So join the event and be with us on Thursday October 8th at 6 PM on WUSB 90.1 FM Stony Brook and streaming live worldwide at wusb.fm. If you missed any part of the first show, the links can still be heard any time at the link below.

http://captainrockitstimemachine.com/captainrockitstimemachinearchives.html

Thanks for the link, Newvillefan !
Part Three was a rather interesting discussion.
I only wish there was more documentary support for certain things that are brought up in the discussion.
(Of course, Randy's book is the backbone, but I mean primary materials previous to either Coleman or Schmidt.)
But, even so,very interesting to listen to.

Yes thanks for that link Newvillefan! I also enjoyed listening to The Great Carpenters Cover Up that they did in September and which can also be downloaded from that Captainrockitstimemachine link. Lots of fun and interesting (yet also less interesting) covers!

Finally was able to listen to all of this program and thought it was great. Go Carpenters fans! Amazing how many people tuned in and emailed him. Just goes to show how much of an impression Carpenters music made on us all. Particularly Karen's voice.

I'm not into Christmas music, but if/when the Christmas program airs I'll be grateful if those who listen would post any further interesting comments by Randy.

Sounds like Randy may be interested in at least an updated edition, since he's still looking to contact insiders.

Randy if you're reading this, great job on the program and is there an updated edition planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom