New Documentary Coming...

I wouldn't hold my breath for a documentary that was supposedly "coming" nearly two years ago. And I hesitate to guess, but there haven't been many documentaries on Carpenters that didn't focus on the tragic side. Filmmakers love conflict.

But this is the one being made with/by Randy Schmidt, who has a degree of credibility on the subject. Unless something has changed?

Last edited:
When there's the next one- and you know its inevitable at least in Japan or the UK, I want it to be about the music.
One thing I would love love love to see is like a "Classic Albums" series type of documentary about various Carpenters albums.

Or at the very least, I would love to see a documentary that goes through each album like this, track-by-track, using high-quality transfers from source (video)tape/film. (To me, it doesn't even matter if it's been "previously seen" like on Gold/YOM or Interpretations... I want to see brand-new transfers from the source tape/film using 21st century equipment.)

But this is the one being made with/by Randy Schmidt, who has a degree of credibility on the subject. Unless something has changed?
This is why I'm still interested. I searched a bit and came across a site that shows some Instagram content and came across this which is dated 3 weeks ago:

"Yesterday I had the privilege of having my drums used in a movie documentary on the life of Karen Carpenter that was shot at AMS Pictures Studio in Dallas. It was an awesome experience watching producer Randy Martin shoot the musical scenes from each era of Karen’s drumming career. The actress playing Karen Carpenter was 16yr old Maren Alford, local Dallas area drummer (thanks April Samuels for hooking us up) who could really play, and completely looked the part, Thanks AMS Pictures and Randy Martin for letting me be a small part of your vision to make a great movie about one of the most underrated drummers of all time. 🥁 Also, AMS Pictures put out a documentaries on Willie Nelson and one on Johnny Cash that aired on REELZCHANNEL last Saturday (same crew/producer) but will air again soon. I’ll let you know when this movie comes out. "

There was also a picture posted of the actress Maren Alford (?) on set next to the drums and two other people.
I don't want to break any rules here posting that so let me know but it seemed like a public rather than private post. They used #karencarpenterdoc at the bottom of the post which is why I guess my search turned it up.

url-https-instagram-flwo4-1-fna-fbcdn-net-v-t51-2885-15-sh0-08-e35-c0-39-1440-1440a-s640x6.jpg

Hi everybody! Thanks for the interest in the upcoming documentary. It was originally planned for Fall 2020 release but, like most everything else in production, was delayed due to Covid shutdowns. We were unable to do interviews from March 2020 until just recently. The doc explores Karen's music and family/personal life and how a quest for perfection pervaded both.

Hi everybody! Thanks for the interest in the upcoming documentary. It was originally planned for Fall 2020 release but, like most everything else in production, was delayed due to Covid shutdowns. We were unable to do interviews from March 2020 until just recently. The doc explores Karen's music and family/personal life and how a quest for perfection pervaded both.
Randy, thanks for this information. Will Richard be involved in this at all? Can you tell us who will?

Randy, thanks for this information. Will Richard be involved in this at all? Can you tell us who will?
We've interviewed Olivia Newton-John, Carol Burnett, Suzanne Somers, Kristin Chenoweth, Carnie Wilson, Mike Curb, Cubby O'Brien, Cherry Boone O'Neill, Cynthia Gibb, and others.

Richard is not involved. Hopefully he will produce his own, something along the lines of the Herb Alpert doc. HBO, Netflix, and so many others would battle for something like that, I am sure.

We've interviewed Olivia Newton-John, Carol Burnett, Suzanne Somers, Kristin Chenoweth, Carnie Wilson, Mike Curb, Cubby O'Brien, Cherry Boone O'Neill, Cynthia Gibb, and others.

Richard is not involved. Hopefully he will produce his own, something along the lines of the Herb Alpert doc. HBO, Netflix, and so many others would battle for something like that, I am sure.
Will there be any archival footage that hasn't yet been officially aired/release? Thinking about clips from MYOKOM, Carol Burnett Show, TV specials, maybe even ONJ's Hollywood Nights TV special?

There are some brief clips from the Carol Burnett Show, ONJ's Hollywood Nights special, the Carpenters' Space Encounters special, and so on. Also one of the alternate airings of Your All-American College Show with Karen in yellow, which is less common. Again, just brief clips used in connection with the interviews.

There are some brief clips from the Carol Burnett Show, ONJ's Hollywood Nights special, the Carpenters' Space Encounters special, and so on. Also one of the alternate airings of Your All-American College Show with Karen in yellow, which is less common. Again, just brief clips used in connection with the interviews.
I can't wait to see the final product! :)

Can't wait for this :) I'm glad to see some new "faces" in the interviews, as well.

Edit to ask - is this the first time an actual female drummer has played the role of Karen?

where will this be shown? network, video, etc.?

Any news on the documentary please?
The doc is almost finished. I did my interview a few weeks ago and the final editorial work, legal review, etc. is happening now. We are hoping to know more about the route it will take in the near future. So no news yet on distribution or film festival screenings, etc. Hopefully we will know this by the end of the year!

The doc is almost finished. I did my interview a few weeks ago and the final editorial work, legal review, etc. is happening now. We are hoping to know more about the route it will take in the near future. So no news yet on distribution or film festival screenings, etc. Hopefully we will know this by the end of the year!
Thanks Randy

wating patentily!

YES!!!!

Interested as well. Thank you and best of luck navigating the "industry" to get the project finished.

Looking forward to watching this.

Back
Top Bottom