New photo of Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
This was taken the same day as the infamous picture of Karen and Richard on the bridge that appeared on the 'Singles 1969-1973' sleeve :)

6408_1106989678240_1331746219_30314.jpg

Yup. She looks pretty here. I love her red palazzo pants!!! I posted this one on Leadsister yesterday...when I found this photo on Facebook on KAREN CARPENTER group there...

I never seen that one before. I just got out my singles 69-73 album and it sure looks like the same jacket with button flap on arm and silver ring hoopes on front side. I always took it that the outfit was brown or tan from the inside jacket of the album. So it really was blue jacket, red pants. :laugh:

That was photo, that I thought she was a man. Well if you can imagine an inch and half photo of them on the back on an old 8-track, it looked like 2 guys, one hippie with long hair (Karen) all those years ago in 1988. Yes, we still listened to 9-8-Tracks...

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I always took it that the outfit was brown or tan from the inside jacket of the album. So it really was blue jacket, red pants.

Me too Chris, I always thought she would have been dressed in cream and brown, not red and blue :laugh:

Thank you so much for the photo!!

I always thought the jacket is orange/brown.

And isn't the inner the same one as 25th birthday photo?

I saw this at auction site. Can this link work?
!Bc6hjFQBWk~$(KGrHqEH-DcEq)OO+!TqBK2nQDb-k!_3.JPG

( Closed. You might be able to watch this a second for a while.
http://cgi.ebay.com/UNIQUE-Karen-Ri...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a449a98b )

Karen wore this coat a few months later. Probably Karen's photo(s) in this coat was in the British magazine, but I haven't seen the mag.

Sakura

I was corrected when I watched the Yellow Brick Road version of "Those Good Old Dreams".
Check this out.
Robert's video, 2:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzFvWWxZYXI&fmt=18
default.jpg

Have you watched Robert's videos from Bob Hope Special? We can watch them now, Chris!! (I thanked to Robert at another place, thanks again!!)

Carpenters - Top Of The World ("Bob Hope Special," 1972) Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Z-yM5JdCI&fmt=18
default.jpg

Carpenters - A Song For You ("Bob Hope Special," 1972) Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYSi9RCLmYo&fmt=18
default.jpg

Sakura

OMG Sakura, I can't believe you found these!! I can't believe we finally have this TV performance of 'A Song For You' :love: :love: :love:

These the the clips that Chris and me have been looking for, part of the Holy Grail of appearances that we didn't have!

Thanks so much Ned, these are AWESOME!! :thumbsup:

Stephen, I thought you had the video of Bob Hope Special.

I'd like someone to put the Bob Hope Special and TV Special into one "A Song For You" video....

Robert uploaded Live at the BBC from recent broadcast, too.

I still wonder if Karen has a jacket in another color. Can anyone post the photo that Karen arrived at Japan in 1974? Thanks.

Sakura

OMG is right, I can't believe this has come to light. I'm still trying to determine if that is indeed a live recording of ASFY, it seems to be but it is so close to the original. Who is that guy playing drums? It also seems like they brought in a special organ to the left just for this song so it had to be live version. I don't understand why they didn't include the full version on the Bob Hope DVD. I would have bought it just for that alone. I think the DVD took out all the musical performances which is really odd.

OMG is right, I can't believe this has come to light. I'm still trying to determine if that is indeed a live recording of ASFY, it seems to be but it is so close to the original. Who is that guy playing drums? It also seems like they brought in a special organ to the left just for this song so it had to be live version. I don't understand why they didn't include the full version on the Bob Hope DVD. I would have bought it just for that alone. I think the DVD took out all the musical performances which is really odd.

Chris, she's miming to the performance. Also, note that they edited it down to exclude the sax solo. It's still a stellar performance, listen to the audience go wild at the end of the clip :D

Thanks so much for the video links Sakura! It's great to finally see the complete Bob Hope performance!

Who is that guy playing drums? It also seems like they brought in a special organ to the left just for this song so it had to be live version. I don't understand why they didn't include the full version on the Bob Hope DVD. I would have bought it just for that alone. I think the DVD took out all the musical performances which is really odd.

Hello, I am Ned Nickerson on YouTube. I have been a member on the A&M Corner Forum previously. Unfortunately, I forgot my password and I no longer have the email addresses associated with those Usernames. So this is my new Username.

The guy playing the drums is Jim Squeglia. He plays the drums in the LIVE at the BBC special, also. There, he's listed in the credits as Jim Anthony. Richard also introduces him as Jim Anthony in the Australian concert. My guess is it was probably because he couldn't pronounce "Squeglia." As far as I've been able to determine, the only "official" music video that Squeglia appears in is "Hurting Each Other." Here's some information about him from the Ray Coleman biography:

In the early days of Karen and Richard’s music career, Jim Squeglia used to visit the Carpenter home to practice with them.

Karen often sat behind him, watching him, in what seemed to have been a starting point for her own interest in becoming a drummer. “She would always kid, laugh and joke with me,” Squeglia says. “Now I see that she was watching how I played. All the time.”

Squeglia had been a drummer with Richard’s early high school band “The Sceptres.” After Karen and Richard began assembling their band, Richard recruited Sqeglia as a second drummer.

Squeglia, a streetwise, nonconformist rebel whose personality contrasted with the conservatism of the Carpenters, jumped at the chance. They flew him to Downey for intensive rehearsals in their home. He was staggered at Karen’s ability as he learned their requirements from Karen to "shadow" her work precisely on every song they played together. Karen’s drum technique had improved since she studied the technique of the maestro Buddy Rich.

An even bigger surprise awaited Squelia when he joined the Carpenters’ touring band. Richard insisted there would be no improvisation, that to please the record buyers in the audience, every song performed should match, note for note, their records. He had no truck with ad-libbing, however clever, and the whole band adhered to his rule. This caused a problem with the maverick Squeglia, who could not resist the occasional flourish. Richard would pounce on him after a show: “Jimmy, I don’t care if the audience is screaming and yelling with enthusiasm, we have a record out there, and our stage performance must match it. When it calls for a certain type of drum break, do not change it. The audience expects the same sound as on record."

Squeglia answered that they were on the road for months, playing six nights a week, he had an artistic need to breathe. “I don’t want to be doing the same break every night.” But Richard’s rule was rigid. Squeglia fell in line to keep his four-hundred-dollar a week job.

Squeglia remembers that he and Karen exchanged an embrace after a show if they had “hit it off” together musically, as dual drummers. This gesture was interpreted by some as meaning they were “an item.” When Karen invited Jim as a friend to join her and Richard with his occasional date for dinner, their manager Sherwin Bash raised his eyebrows: “Don’t you see enough of him in the show? You have to have him to dinner, too?” Eventually Squeglia says, “Sherwin Bash accused me of not keeping away from her. He said to me, “If you don’t keep away from her, I’m gonna have you fired. So no more dinners, no more hugging, no more meeting her after the show.”

There was other contretemps with Squeglia, who maintains her was pressured out of the band by Sherwin. But his response jarred with Richard’s professionalism. In spring 1973, they were due to resume touring. A few days before, the band were to assemble to “tune up.” Squeglia did not arrive, and could not be found. Once he was located, back in New Haven, he was fired by phone. He was replaced by former Mousketeer Cubby O’Brien.

The guy playing the organ is Tony Peluso.

goodjeans said:
I wonder if A&M art department had any idea what a 'classic' "The Singles' album would turn out to be. The coloring, removing the red and blue was brilliant in hindsight.

Yeah the sepia tone is quite in keeping with the album's colouring, although I find the overall artwork quite dull and bland, the dark brown cover doesn't really do it for me.

I remember when I first read that in the Coleman book thinking how sad it was that Karen wasn't allowed to choose her own friends, let alone boyfriends. No wonder she felt so much pressure. How different things might have been if everyone had left her alone and let her breathe.

That is neat! Looks like it was taken on Newville Ave, and lookslike it's about 1978...maybe 1977...

What colour did Karen wear in Robert's photos?
I saw green ones in other photos, but I haven't recall the European photos in colour. France?

I finally saw another color photo of LeadSister T.
Does anyone have color photo of softball, Karen wearing LeadSister T-shirt?

I had thought famous LeadSister photo was taken in England, but I was wrong...?

Back to Stephen's photo, is the jacket the same as one in Postman video?
Richard menitoned Matterhorn. But the clip was missed.
Is Matterhorn ride in France? I don't think Tokyo Disneyland has it.

Sakura
EDIT:
!BeV3Yn!Bmk~$(KGrHqYOKiQErzJBft-ZBK8z6hSZhQ~~_3.JPG

cam89 said:
That is neat! Looks like it was taken on Newville Ave, and lookslike it's about 1978...maybe 77...

'80?

Some of us talked about the last PV before. 3 PV's were filmed in the same day. Karen's hair style was changed as a video.

Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom