• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

New Posting on "Fans Ask" section of Carpenters we

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaflyer98

The Carpenters website has been updated! Richard goes on in great detail about some new fan questions. Check it out!

RichardandKarenCarpenter.com

Interesting comment about his pianos while growing up: the Baldwin Acrosonic was the same one my folks had as well (and which I've inherited, but have not yet moved over to my own house). Acrosonic was basically a product line, but came in many different styles. I've considered selling it and getting an electronic keyboard to save the space, but who knows, this could be the only chance I ever get in life to own a good piano. Even though I'm nowhere close to Richard's talent. :D

What a truly fascinating handful of replies by Richard. Thanks for alerting us to this Patrick! -Chris

We have an Acrosonic spinet piano too! I took lessons when I was a kid but haven't played in years.

Too bad they deleted the original set of questions and answers. That would make a nice archive after a few years if they would just keep adding to it.

Also I wish they would use a different font on those text pages. That font they're using is a headline font, and not only does it take up too much space, it's difficult to read. Which I doubt is the effect they're going for.

But they didn't ask me, so.....

I agree: terrible typeface, and a major publishing gaffe: you do not use headline fonts for text! Just shows that the site is being run by a rank amateur. :shake: A shame, too--Richard's information deserves better.

Mike: the original Q&A is on the bottom half of the page.

Ah. So it is. I got to the "return home" button and thought that was it! :oops:

Oh well, at least I was half right! :D

I agree about the font too. I was almost tempted to copy and paste it into a Word document and change the font to something readable. I still might!

Harry
...about to download Service Pack 2 from Microsoft, online...

I don't know about the rest of you but I long for more deeper questions into there music, rather than what was the biggest concert they gave or what degrees they had, I'd much rather know more about the songs & more tibits into the making of the songs. Such as experiences with recording Rainy Days & Superstar & Ticket & interesting things about the making of Made in America or something cool about Karen's last recording or funny things that Karen may have done in the studio or how hard Karen & Richard practiced on a particular track, what it was like in the recording studio, what it was like for Richard to record with other artists after Karen's death.

There are so many great questions that "we" have brought up over the years, some really really good ones dealing with the music & different tracks. I can remember some of us saying yeah that would be a great question for Richard.

I'm glad to read these questions don't get me wrong and I guess if you want to see these type questions they first need to be submitted so I'm one to talk LOL I haven't even sent my first email there yet. LOL

But some of these questions seem like questions that would have been submitted to the official fan club from long time ago.

Hopefully more will follow with tibits & such. :)

Cool to think that Richard "may" release a Christmas video. I'd love that, but not getting my hopes up as I understand all the legal issues with that undertaking.

Harry said:
I agree about the font too. I was almost tempted to copy and paste it into a Word document and change the font to something readable. I still might!

Harry
...about to download Service Pack 2 from Microsoft, online...

Did SP2 here last week, but haven't upgraded.

I use a little filter (actually an internet proxy program) called The Proxomitron, and you can add your own rules to it. (It sits between the internet and the browser, and will catch and rewrite any incoming HTML...and it also locks out nasties like pop-up ads, self-downloading apps, etc.) At Richard's site, I could actually tell it to replace that font tag with anything else I want.

There is also a browser setting, in some browsers, to override the site's font setting with your own default choice.

True, Internet Explorer allows you to select a font style and size and to override fonts on web pages. I've used it on occasion - just forgot about it on that page.

Harry
...happy with this site's Tahoma font, online...

I loved reading Richard's new entries!! If he keeps this up, this website is going to be very interesting! The stuff about the piano was fascinating as was the information about what it was like to be a music major. I never realized it was that involved!

Neil, hang onto that Baldwin!!!! They don't make 'em like that anymore. In the 70s we lived in the Cincinnati area and had a piano tuner recommended by someone at church. This guy was a retired employee of the Baldwin company. He said they were now machine made as much as possible. If you have an older one, hang on to it and take good care of it.

Chris, I think you should formulate some questions for Richard. One thing I would NOT do, if I were you, is criticize (to Richard) any of the other questions. Some of us like the ones that were asked!

I agree with everyone about the font used. I also find it hard to read on the dark background, but then I have glaucoma problems. I guess it's not difficult for others.

Marilyn,
sharing her thoughts!

Hi Marilyn, No I couldn't possibly submit those type questions as I mentioned earlier, I'd leave that for the more seasoned fans who know more about the technical side of the music. I just remember there being a few really good questions presented here in the past 6 months or so that would have been great for Richard to address.

But these are a great start & it appears this will be on-going so I am anxious to continue reading this remarks to the fans ask. :)

Funny this topic was up when I signed in.

I've JUST left the R&K site. While visiting I submitted questions pertaining to the tired subject of "what's left" in the you know whats? I prefaced this with my Downey F/C affiliation from 1970. I spoke of our meeting in '78. I just happened to mention my logo tattoo. Somehow my license plate CLOS2U came up. Then out of nowhere the revelation that my collection is insured for $10,000.

I wanted to portray myself as an enthusiast, a completist etc...This substantiation in an effort to solicite a kind response to an oft asked, old mystery bound question.

Perhaps???

Jeff

djn said:
Funny this topic was up when I signed in.

I've JUST left the R&K site. While visiting I submitted questions pertaining to the tired subject of "what's left" in the you know whats? I prefaced this with my Downey F/C affiliation from 1970. I spoke of our meeting in '78. I just happened to mention my logo tattoo. Somehow my license plate CLOS2U came up. Then out of nowhere the revelation that my collection is insured for $10,000.

I wanted to portray myself as an enthusiast, a completist etc...This substantiation in an effort to solicite a kind response to an oft asked, old mystery bound question.

Perhaps???

Jeff

Jeff,

IMO, portraying yourself as an C's enthusiast is not guaranteed to grab RC's undivided attention. What you need to do is get him to open up by asking questions about how HE did this and how HE did that.

When I met Richard at TOTW1, I asked him questions about recording techniques and vocal arrangements. I did NOT bring up Karen. After 20 minutes of interesting discussion, he had to be reminded that he was due to perform in several minutes.

FYI, He did eventually bring Karen into our conversation :)

GOODY4SHOES said:
When I met Richard at TOTW1, I asked him questions about recording techniques and vocal arrangements. I did NOT bring up Karen. After 20 minutes of interesting discussion, he had to be reminded that he was due to perform in several minutes.

FYI, He did eventually bring Karen into our conversation :)

Joe, I think it would be cool if you could share some tidbits from your conversation with Richard here to enlighten this group on what he had to say with regard to vocal arrangements, techniques, etc... -Chris

Chris, I think you ARE definitely a "seasoned fan"!! As for the really technical stuff, I would leave that to the experts. And I sure don't consider myself one of them!!! Have a go at it!!

Marilyn

I keep asking questions about his plans to release things. It's a bummer that we won't see the TV specials on DVD, they are so good. Richard would make lots of money on them - I guess now only bootlegers can help us see the material! :sad: It's a shame.

I just sent him questions asking about concert releases on DVD's and recording sessions.

Regarding all the comments about the design of the site-
Yeah it would be nice if it were really cutting edge, but...
how many artists answer their fans questions on line?
If I had to choose between one or the other, I'll take what we've got- gratefully!!!

There's nothing wrong with comments about the design of a website; it's just constructive criticism. Nobody's complaining about the site content; I think it's great!

The only negative comment to surface lately has been about that font, which is a major gaffe but would only require about 30 seconds to fix. If that was my site, and I read the comments here, I would give it a look and be grateful for the constructive criticism. I've made several changes on my own theatre's site in response to user comments. Sometimes the public picks up on something the designer does not.

Mike, I certainly didnt mean my words to sound judgmental. Just my thoughts on the content vs design- thats all.
Maybe we should have a webpage designing thread.
We each get to show off the home page of a proposed Carpenters site.
Could be fun.

Becky Boxberger, RC's web-related personal assistant, contacted me re: my question noted above. Here Becky says that she has "printed out my letter for Richard to read and will fwd responses". A kind and timely response, yet I know better than to hold my breath.

Jeff

Harry said:
And, as we speak of these fonts here, we've been listened to. The font has changed on the official site.

http://www.richardandkarencarpenter.com

...Or...maybe not. I viewed the webpage at my home computer and all the page text looked like plain fonts. Today at work, that fancy font is back, so now I must conclude that I may have been hasty with my above pronouncement. Perhaps my "[x] Ignore font styles" setting is checked at home. I'll have to follow up later.

Harry
...cheking settings, online...

Well, I figured I was feeling left out so like others here, I finally submitted my letter to Richard via email. At first I felt strange doing this but then I thought this is a special opportunity for Richard to actually read what I wrote so I thought I should jump at the chance. If my questions are not answered then no big deal at least I got to express how much their music has meant to me over the years.

I wrote about 2 paragraphs of how special Richard & Karen's music has meant to me over the past 30 years for me & touched upon alot of the recent tracks & re-mixes Richard has done over the past 5 years or more, touching upon many great tracks such as: The Japan release of "Treasures" & the incredible tracks such as "Love is Surrender" with that heavier drum kick, the DX-7 on the track for "Maybe it's You" & my favorite the re-mix of "I can't make music". I also thanked Richard for continuing to release these great CD's such as the recent "As Time Goes By" with "Leave Yesterday Behind" and "The Rainbow Connection" as 2 of my favorites from that CD. I thanked Richard for giving that to us and told him how hard it is to put into words just how special these tracks are to me. Also mentioned the cool 35th Anniv Collectors Edition Black Box Set with mini style lp covers which I told him was nice to get all the original Cd's in this format. Also mentioned the live version of the Bacharach Medley from the Readers Digest Cd's & how great that medley was to hear. I then proposed my Fan Questions below.

I do have 2 Fan Questions, if it would be possible for Richard to answer.

1. Is it true that Karen actually recorded the track "Rainy Days and Mondays while lying down on pillows on the floor of the studio? If so could Richard elaborate a little on how that process took place in the studio & what made Richard decide to capture this track in this type manner. I'd love to hear more about this from Richard. This is another one of my favorite Carpenters tracks.

2. Would Richard ever consider releasing on CD the "original version" of Merry Christmas Darling from 1970, perhaps as a bonus track?

Thank you for taking the time to listen & I look forward to hearing from you soon. The website looks great!!

Sincerely,
Chris

So well see what happens. I hope others here post there questions so that if we see them on the official website then we will know who they came from. :)

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
2. Would Richard ever consider releasing on CD the "original version" of Merry Christmas Darling from 1970, perhaps as a bonus track?

If I am not crazy, I am pretty sure that this has been released. The 1970 version can be found on From the Top and Essential Collection. It is the original version instead of the 1978 album version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom