• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Offering on eBay again

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're also offering (sorry about that) on eBay the original "Ticket To Ride" 45 . . . and I've noticed, virtually every copy I've seen, either on boards from this site or as sold on eBay, was a Monarch pressing; I have yet to see a single copy pressed by Columbia. I guess I'll have to check some used record shops out in the Village . . .

OMG! I didn't read that! This is super rare :!: The last one went for like $200 :!:

The WLP is so important, it mide need a separate thread. Whadda you think ?

W.B. said:
They're also offering (sorry about that) on eBay the original "Ticket To Ride" 45 . . . and I've noticed, virtually every copy I've seen, either on boards from this site or as sold on eBay, was a Monarch pressing; I have yet to see a single copy pressed by Columbia. I guess I'll have to check some used record shops out in the Village . . .
Since that post, I took my own advice, as I wrote in a post on Feb. 24:
W.B. said:
Over the weekend, I purchased a copy of "Ticket . . . " / " . . . Parade" at an oldies store in Greenwich Village, and found some interesting things:
- The pressing, from Columbia in Pitman, N.J., used stampers derived from metal parts that originated from Monarch, hence my copy likewise has Δ78673 on "Ticket . . . " and Δ78673-X on " . . . Parade." They did their best to conceal part of the origin, with scratchings all over the "Circle MR" logo, but still . . .
- As according to the website www.carponline.bravepages.com, A&M single #1142 was released Nov. 5, 1969. Apparently, it figures: The fonts used for the label copy came from the Pitman plant itself, and may well be among the first releases to fall under what appeared to be a new policy of each of Columbia's plants being responsible for its own label copy artwork on a new A&M album or single. So with the exception of "Goodbye To Love" (AM-1367-S), every Carpenters 45 up to "Top of the World" (AM-1468-S) that was pressed by Columbia in Pitman used Pitman's own typesetting on the labels. (Whereas their first LP, then titled Offering, was released when the older policy of virtually all label copy artwork for A&M being imported from Santa Maria, CA, was still in effect. Incidentally, I found it interesting that the "Ticket" 45 made no mention of the album title. Premonition, perhaps?) Not to mention being probably the first Pitman-pressed single since certain copies of Sonny Charles's "Black Pearl" (#1053) to use Pitman-originated fonts on their label copy. And by the way, I only paid $10.00 for my copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom