Other Female Singers

Another year without my favorite artist of all time.
I miss her 💕
We all do...very deeply. I miss her "killer" smile. I miss that incredibly beautiful voice. I miss the great songs she would have owned.

A frequent comment about her is that "she was taken too soon". But even if she had lived to be 100 that would have been too soon...

Another year without my favorite artist of all time.

Just touching on the subject of Olivia briefly, the deluxe edition remasters seem to have stalled or been cancelled completely. We got the deluxe two-CDs of If Not For You and Physical (which was outstanding), but the rest, like the much anticipated Totally Hot, have since only been released as the original standard CD or LP - nothing like what they promised.

When people contact Primary Wave, they just ignore them. Vinny Vero, the Head of Deluxe Projects, who was going through all the tapes and digitising and cataloguing them for the deluxe releases, has been really quiet lately too and avoiding questions. All very strange…

Just touching on the subject of Olivia briefly, the deluxe edition remasters seem to have stalled or been cancelled completely. We got the deluxe two-CDs of If Not For You and Physical (which was outstanding), but the rest, like the much anticipated Totally Hot, have since only been released as the original standard CD or LP - nothing like what they promised.

When people contact Primary Wave, they just ignore them. Vinny Vero, the Head of Deluxe Projects, who was going through all the tapes and digitising and cataloguing them for the deluxe releases, has been really quiet lately too and avoiding questions. All very strange…
From what I’ve heard Vinny’s contract ended and he is no longer working on any of her releases and that was before the duets arrives so he’s been gone for awhile. I also heard that US MCA/Geffen/Ume released their own version of Totally Hot because they own the rights to that album. Primary Wave also released their version in the UK only, same tracks, no bonus material. Either there isn’t any or MCA won’t allow it, not sure. The US MCA Cd is very nice packaging cover represents great replica of colors although it’s missing the red border. The UK primary wave colors are off slightly more reddish saturated. The UK comes with a nice folded poster inside. The mastering is another story, it’s brickwalled, super loud and hard to listen to. I prefer the original analog MCA CD which is hard to find and expensive.

I also heard there may not be any more deluxe editions. It’s all quite sad, not impressed with how PW has handled her work but at least her albums are being remastered and out in the public after they have been neglected for so long.

I also heard there may not be any more deluxe editions. It’s all quite sad, not impressed with how PW has handled her work but at least her albums are being remastered and out in the public after they have been neglected for so long.

That’s such a disappointment to hear, but thanks for the update. I’m sure these plans were all done with Olivia’s support and blessing so I’m not sure she would be too happy with how it’s panned out.

There definitely were at least a couple of things that could have been included - not least the extended version of Totally Hot (the song) that was released in Mexico on 12” vinyl.

"You Are My Sunshine" is probably my favorite song of all time. It's just such a powerful piece of writing - I can never get through it without getting emotional...it just hits something deep within me. Something about this (near) acapella version and the sound of Christina's voice really gets to me. Can you imagine if Karen had sung this??

I don’t know if anyone my age is even aware of this incredibly beautiful song. It’s a common children’s lullaby now but I know it was a country standard back in the day.

Last edited:
Songwriter Holly Knight complete self-titled 1988 album. The song "Heart Don't Fail Me Now" went to # 59 (Hot 100) in October of 1988 which starts the album with the music video. Like Diane Warren, Holly wrote songs for other artists or groups including Pat Benatar 1983 song "Love Is A Battlefield" which Holly does the remake.

I just finally figured out what this song was called…I’ve been hearing it for years without knowing the name. I love this song, definitely my favorite by Billy Idol.

Perri Lister’s French backing vocals really add something interesting to the song - she’s got great tone.

Songwriter Holly Knight complete self-titled 1988 album. The song "Heart Don't Fail Me Now" went to # 59 (Hot 100) in October of 1988 which starts the album with the music video. Like Diane Warren, Holly wrote songs for other artists or groups including Pat Benatar 1983 song "Love Is A Battlefield" which Holly does the remake.

I knew there was a reason I remembered "Heart Don't Fail Me Now" ... Daryl Hall sang backup vocals on it. As a fan, naturally I was drawn to this song and pretty much anything he wrote or performed on. I had Holly Knight's album on cassette and loved it, but without a functioning cassette player, that album fell by the wayside many moves ago. It's good to see that she has continued writing and producing!

I just finally figured out what this song was called…I’ve been hearing it for years without knowing the name. I love this song, definitely my favorite by Billy Idol.

Perri Lister’s French backing vocals really add something interesting to the song - she’s got great tone.

I agree as this is also my favorite Bill Idol recording and I always wondered who did the background vocal.

Not one but 3 other female singers here, 3 sisters with their younger brother...
Some of you may have heard of a musical called "The Sound of Music", based on a true story about the Von Trapp family singers.
This 21st century foursome consisted of the grandchildren of the 2nd son of Captain Georg von Trapp, Werner (portrayed in the musical as "Kurt"). They were active from 2001 - 2016.

Voices of siblings blend so beautifully together 😉

The original Von Trapp Family singers were active from the mid-1930s to mid-1950s, first with just the 7 children from Captain Von Trapp's first marriage and later with 3 more children from the captain and his wife Maria together, 2 girls and a boy. This youngest boy, Johannes, is the only one of the 10 children still alive today, turning 85 later this month. Besides singing ancient folk songs (in several different languages), they all played musical instruments as well.

Some of you may know this song (a recording from ca. 1953). The photo is from the mid-1940s:

Should anyone like to see the first movie, from 1956 (which is a bit closer to the facts, and in German, with English subtitles, in 7 parts), it's right here.

Last edited:
I know the musical well - some years back we visited the family lodge in Vermont - can't believe these are the grandchildren of "Kurt" - they sound great together - thanks much!

I was watching a rerun of Ed Sullivan this evening and they had a song sung by Tessie O'Shea. She was really good and I never knew her as a singer but an actress.

Very nice cover of the Carpenter's cover - well executed (live or simulated?) , and excellently filmed - but, something (or someone ) is missing...

I was watching several versions of this on YT this morning and I still consider that Karen's remarkable live performance on the BBC Concert in 1971 is the best version...she was healthy and beautiful and, best of all, they didn't screw around with her awesome natural voice.

What still is really interesting to me is that I've been a fan of Leonid and Friends for a few years now, as Chicago's one of my all-time favorite groups. Then, all of a sudden, they decide to do a Carpenters cover. I've been considering going to see them in concert for a while now, and if they now have this song to include in their setlist, then I'm sold. Ksenia really adds a lot to the group.

Speaking of which - I don't know if any of you saw, but she got to meet Richard recently!

Just rediscovered this song by Emma Bunton (some of you may remember her from the Spice Girls as "Baby Spice"). I think I hear a little Petula Clark in her voice, dare I say there's even a little bit of Olivia in her voice at times :)

Love the late 1960s feel and the wild yet cool and stylish dancing. Nice to see that for TV promotion appearances, Emma used to take at least a few or also a whole bunch of dancers from the music video with her 🤩
Also love the subtle strings in the background :love:

The Captain & Tennille "Love Will Keep Us Together" (from the June 20, 1975 TV appearance on NBC "The Midnight Special") in which Herb Alpert was the host.

Laufey...... When this new 24 year old 2024 Grammy winner for Best Traditional Pop Vocal album gets described as a "Gen Z Karen Carpenter" who's going to be huge, a "jazz-inflected Karen Carpenter," or jazz's answer to Taylor Swift, I had to take a look at who this Laufey is. I have to admit I liked what I heard, but is this what Karen might have sounded like if she had transitioned to jazz and had more "swing" as was mentioned in another thread?

https://archive.ph/XBlLV (Daily Telegraph review article without paywall)

2024 Grammy performance -

Back
Top Bottom