Other Female Singers

Reminds me strongly of another really great female singer who let herself be talked into a horrendous recording technique...

No comparison. Karen recorded new vocals, new material, new producer. This album is the original vocals with the original producer and the original backing tracks thrown out and redone. It’s abysmal.

These videos really annoy me, and Youtube is full of them. She isn’t singing that live. The vocal has been produced in a recording studio, overdubbed, and she’s miming to it - albeit convincingly. You don’t get that kind of vocal quality when you’re that far away from the mic.

She’s also using Autotune - another vestige of modern recording. Ugh…

Ed

It's been a while since she released an album (or since I shared a link to one of her songs), but Andrea Begley has a few new tunes out. The first is a self penned song (I think) and the second a Kodaline cover

Very nice - kind of a sweet, smokey voice with a celtic feel - like the simple accompaniment...

My mom used to play this (very obscure) Christmas album to get me to go to sleep when I was little. I remember loving this song in particular and being entranced by this unknown woman's voice.

I recently paid to download the 1977 Rita Coolidge hit song, "We're All Alone," a song written by Boz Scaggs. I tend to think Karen Carpenter could have done an excellent job singing "We're All Alone." But Rita's version is very good and reached number 7 on the Billboard charts.

The album, Anytime . . Anywhere, reached number 6 on the US charts in 1977.

What is interesting about Rita Coolidge is that almost all of her 1970s and 1980s albums were issued by A & M Records.

Her album with Kris Kristofferson, "Natural Act," released in December 1978, reached 106 in the US. Rita's September 1979 album release, "Satisfied," reached 95 in the US. Rita's August 1981 album release, "Heartbreak Radio," reached 160 in the US.

Rita's next two album releases, 1983's "Never Let You Go" and 1984's "Inside the Fire" did not chart in the US.

It's great the A & M Records was loyal to Rita Coolidge during this somewhat down period in her professional career. She's a great singer and I am interested in listening to more of her music and perhaps purchased more of it as well.

Can anyone think of a song that both Karen Carpenter and Rita Coolidge both sang? Superstar perhaps? Where there any others?

I recently paid to download the 1977 Rita Coolidge hit song, "We're All Alone," a song written by Boz Scaggs. I tend to think Karen Carpenter could have done an excellent job singing "We're All Alone." But Rita's version is very good and reached number 7 on the Billboard charts.

The album, Anytime . . Anywhere, reached number 6 on the US charts in 1977.

What is interesting about Rita Coolidge is that almost all of her 1970s and 1980s albums were issued by A & M Records.

Her album with Kris Kristofferson, "Natural Act," released in December 1978, reached 106 in the US. Rita's September 1979 album release, "Satisfied," reached 95 in the US. Rita's August 1981 album release, "Heartbreak Radio," reached 160 in the US.

Rita's next two album releases, 1983's "Never Let You Go" and 1984's "Inside the Fire" did not chart in the US.

It's great the A & M Records was loyal to Rita Coolidge during this somewhat down period in her professional career. She's a great singer and I am interested in listening to more of her music and perhaps purchased more of it as well.

Can anyone think of a song that both Karen Carpenter and Rita Coolidge both sang? Superstar perhaps? Where there any others?
Rita Coolidge was one of the first to record Superstar and it was on A&M's Mad Dogs and Englishmen by Joe Cocker. She was also a writer of the song but is not credited. Karen recorded it after Richard heard Bette Midler singing it on The Tonight Show. The first album that I got by Rita was Fall Into Spring. I had heard her debut album at a friend's house about a year earlier. Satisfied is my favorite. I did get all her A&M releases over the next few years.

I have a few Rita Coolidge albums on original vinyl. Some are a bit beat up from radio station use, others in pretty good shape. Mostly, the CLASSICS VOLUME 5 serves my needs when I need to hear a Rita Coolidge track.

1701372148592.png

My sister, who once had a 'thing' for Kris Kristofferson, gifted me her copy of FULL MOON so I could have the track that Herb Alpert appears on: "A Song I'd Like To Sing".

1701372229931.png

I have a few Rita Coolidge albums on original vinyl. Some are a bit beat up from radio station use, others in pretty good shape. Mostly, the CLASSICS VOLUME 5 serves my needs when I need to hear a Rita Coolidge track.

1701372148592.png

My sister, who once had a 'thing' for Kris Kristofferson, gifted me her copy of FULL MOON so I could have the track that Herb Alpert appears on: "A Song I'd Like To Sing".

1701372229931.png
I have both the A&M Kris and Rita lp's and the Classics CD.
I purchased the two disc cd Delta Lady a few years back and I carry that one on my road trips.

Always happy if this song by Fay Lovsky gets played during the holiday season. The video was shot in the TopPop studio in late 1981. You can still see a Roman statue and the sphynx, which were also there when Karen & Richard were in the studio to shoot a video for "Touch me when we're dancing"...

Besides that Christmas song, I know Fay best for a song I heard on a compilation LP with various artists on it, from the mid-'80s. Always thought it was kind of intriguing. Now I have the full "Cinema" CD from which it was pulled :cool:

I just wanted to share this cover of John Denver's Take Me Home, Country Roads by Lana Del Rey. Her artistry really is the real deal among current artists; she also has a melancholy to her voice that matches so well with this style of song.

She recorded this track some time ago and I'd longed to hear it. Finally it was released on Friday. I'm hoping her unreleased American standards & classics covers album will follow.

I first heard this pretty song years ago in an uptempo version by the innovative male vocal group The Four Freshman.

Here it is slowed down into a sweet, lovely ballad by the surprisingly talented Doris Day, who was a popular singer with several Big Bands in the 40s before she hit it big time in the movies and later on TV:

I’ve always loved Doris Day - her version of ‘Fly Me To The Moon’ is probably the best of all the different ones I’ve heard, and faithfully copied by Agnetha Fältskog on her 2004 covers album My Colouring Book.

Always liked Gloria a lot - very talented and entertaining lady - and this is one of her best - great Smooth Jazz feel to it - thanks much for posting!

The Gloria Estefan track that I love more than any of her records is ‘Anything For You’. Same goes for Celine Dion’s ‘To Love You More’. There’s something about the lyrics, matched with their vocal delivery and the arrangements that gets to me every time.

In the title of the song and in its choruses Gloria sings about how "...there's something I've been trying to say to you, but the words got in the way..." I knew there was something vaguely familiar about that phrase and it finally hit me this morning while listening again that it's the same phrase (cleverly ironic expression) that appears in "This Masquerade":

Both afraid to say we're just too far away
From being close together from the start
We tried to talk it over but the words got in the way
We're lost inside this lonely game...

Coincidence? Maybe. I think that phrase probably predates either song, going back in the vernacular many
years. Maybe centuries. Maybe to Shakespeare?!?

But, the two songs not only have that in common. They both have that, what would it be, latinized/Jazzy rhythm, and the same sensual, brooding, yearning emotional feel. Great stuff!

In the title of the song and in its choruses Gloria sings about how "...there's something I've been trying to say to you, but the words got in the way..." I knew there was something vaguely familiar about that phrase and it finally hit me this morning while listening again that it's the same phrase (cleverly ironic expression) that appears in "This Masquerade"

Great observation! :)

Back
Top Bottom