Other Female Singers

Marilyn McCoo - a gorgeous woman with an incredible voice - as was mentioned before, the only serious competition Karen had for the Most Beautiful Voice award...

Karen mentioned in a radio interview with Fred Napoli that they had a scheduled show with The 5th Dimension in "Frisco." Anyone know more details about this pairing? What a show that must've been!

Last edited:
We've heard her here before but a singer of this caliber deserves a revisit, if only to show that she wasn't all soft, easy, lucious ballads, but could kick ass with the best of them on those brilliant uptempo Big Band arrangements of the Standards - this one by the legendary Benny Carter...

Q1: how much of an influence was Jo on Karen's singing style (she must have listened to her a lot growing up)?

Q2: if male singers of that era were known as "crooners" what were the women known as - "songstresses"? "songbirds"?

I have recently bought a set of four Jo Stafford albums - 'Starring Jo Stafford', 'Autumn in New York', 'Swingin' Down Broadway' and 'Jo+Jazz'.

I also previously had two or three compilations.

One recording that I especially like is 'Candy', which was a hit for Jo Stafford with Johnny Mercer and The Pied Pipers in 1945.

Of course, the inference is that Candy is sweet. I wonder whether this was understood at the time where I live, (Australia), because candy here has always been called lollies, until recent years. Doesn't have the same ring.

A section of the melody from Frankie Valli's 'Can't Take My Eyes Off You' is very similar to 'Candy'. Ahem.

Also, the section where The Pied Pipers are harmonising on 'Candy' is similar in style to the harmonising on Karen and Richard's 'I Can Dream, Can't I?' - a song which, of course, was arranged by Billy May, also active as an arranger in the 1940s, and featured Tom and John Bahler amongst the background chorus. (I just checked and.... what do you know? Billy May also worked on Jo Stafford's 'Candy').

Some of Jo Stafford's vocals from the 1940s and beyond are incredible, especially considering that the recordings would have been made in one take with no touch-ups. She is often pitch perfect. Her performances probably couldn't have been improved upon.

Incidentally, 'One Love' was titled 'Candy', when first composed.

June Carter was the daughter of May Belle Carter, who was one of the founding members of the legendary Carter Family singing group that thrived in Country, Bluegrass & Folk music from the 1920s into the 1960s and beyond...

June Carter later married Johnny Cash as her second husband. Before that she had a daughter named Carlene by her first husband. Carlene used the name Carlene Carter when she made a foray into Rock & Country music in the 1980s...

Here is Carlene performing a really nice song called "Easy From Now On" live on a show called "The American Music Shop" which was on the TNN cable network for a while back then, a show that featured a regular cast of top flight Nashville session players...

Here’s something I don’t think anyone expected. Just two years after ABBA’s Voyage, it looks like there’s a new album on the way from Agnetha Fältskog. She has signed with BMG Records (home to David Bowie, Duran Duran, Simply Red, Tina Turner and other major artists). Her official site landing page was published today, where you can sign up for updates.

She has signed with BMG Records (home to David Bowie, Duran Duran, Simply Red, Tina Turner and other major artists. How could you leave our Elvis & Perry Como?
😂 Great that she’s recording again.

Claire Richards of the UK group Steps has released a new album today of mostly dance covers of various songs made famous by female singers who inspired Claire growing up including Cher and Donna Summer and ABBA.
The deluxe album features a bonus track cover of Xanadu by Olivia Newton John but also features a non dance version of Goodbye to love by Carpenters.
Claire appeared as Karen Carpenter on Stars in their eyes as Karen years ago also.
Euphoria is the album title.

Claire Richards of the UK group Steps has released a new album today of mostly dance covers of various songs made famous by female singers who inspired Claire growing up including Cher and Donna Summer and ABBA.
The deluxe album features a bonus track cover of Xanadu by Olivia Newton John but also features a non dance version of Goodbye to love by Carpenters.
Claire appeared as Karen Carpenter on Stars in their eyes as Karen years ago also.
Euphoria is the album title.

She describes in this Yahoo article today (excerpt below) on the singers who influenced her most in developing her style of singing. She had some really nice things to say about Karen.

--------------------------------------

Meanwhile, the ‘One For Sorrow’ singer – who reached the Top 10 in 2019 with her debut solo record ‘My Wildest Dreams’ – has now released a covers collection of tracks originally recorded by her own music idols including the likes of Karen Carpenter and Celine Dion and explained how they all influenced the kind of singer she has become.

She said: “The idea for it came from a conversation with [producer] Steve Anderson about how I ended up singing the way I do really, I didn't start off singing like this, I was very much musical theatre and a bit like Julie Andrews, very well spoken and every word was pronounced properly and, and it wasn't pop at all.

“And then I discovered Karen Carpenter and started discovering these voices that told stories. With musical theatre songs, you tell a story through song, but I think through pop music, it's there are not many people who can kind of deliver a song in a way that makes you believe every single word that they're saying. People like Karen Carpenter, Whitney Houston, and Celine.

“And a lot of those, like Whitney didn't write her own songs. And Karen Carpenter didn't write her own songs.

“But they have a way of telling that story through their voice. And that was what I became a little bit obsessed with, I think, and certainly with Karen Carpenter, I just spent hours and hours and hours just listening to her and her voice. I wanted to sing every single record exactly the same as her and would just sing along and every little inflection and it really taught a lot about my voice and what it was capable of and what kind of singer I've turned into.”

-----------------------------------------

Claire Richards is a real Carpenters fan and has been all her life. One of the only celebrity contestants to ever get every question right on the popular UK TV quiz show ‘Mastermind’.

Another UK TV appearance below from a few weeks back, where she talks briefly about Karen. For those of you who aren’t familiar with her, she is known for being the lead singer in UK pop group ‘Steps’, who were massive in the 2000s and are also known for their catchy uptempo hits with multilayered vocal harmonies.

‘Goodbye To Love’ is the only ballad on her new album.

Last edited:
A nice quietly somber rendition in an arrangement perhaps more appropriate for the pathos of the lyrics...and, somewhat surprisingly, she does manage those impossibly long phrases in a single brearh...would love to have heard Karen sing this song with this arrangement somewhere at some time...

Here’s something I don’t think anyone expected. Just two years after ABBA’s Voyage, it looks like there’s a new album on the way from Agnetha Fältskog.

Agnetha will be interviewed on BBC Radio 2’s Breakfast Show with Zoe Ball this Thursday, from 8.30am UK time. It will also feature a world-exclusive first play of her new single, ‘Where Do We Go From Here?’. There’s a story circulating among ABBA fans is that this is a version of the Carpenters’ track ‘Where Do I Go From Here?’, which she originally recorded for the album ‘A’, but which didn’t make the final tracklist at the time. All just rumours though.

What I thought was a new album isn’t really that unfortunately…this from Amazon UK:

On the 10th anniversary of her solo album ‘A’, Agnetha Fältskog releases ‘A+’, a completely reimagined version of ‘A’. This 2LP version of the album features 11 reworked tracks, including the lead single ‘Where Do We Go From Here?’ - the first new material from Agnetha in 10 years - plus all 10 original recordings from the album ‘A’. Agnetha has been working with renowned, Grammy-nominated songwriter and producer Jorgen Elofsson (who has written hits for Britney Spears, Kelly Clarkson and many more). Pressed on limited edition crystal clear vinyl.

Bermuda singer Heather Nova remake of the 1988 Rick Astley song "Never Gonna Give You Up" (from 2022 "Other Shores" album of remakes)

Interview and world premiere of Agnetha’s new single on BBC Radio 2 this morning. The new song can be heard at 5m45s.

Back
Top Bottom