Other Songs by Carpenters' Songwriters

Another Son

As Richard often expressed, finding the right song was paramount in creating a hit. Therefore, you could say that the writers of Carpenters' songs played a huge part in the success of Karen and Richard.

What are some other songs by writers of Carpenters material that you like / have respect for?

I'll start with Canadian songwriter, Kerry Chater. He co-wrote "Back In my Life Again", which K&R released as a single in 1981.

I bought Anne Murray's album, "I'll Always Love You" in 1979. It has a lovely acoustic track on it called 'Stranger At My Door', which Kerry Chater co-wrote with Rory Bourke and Charlie Black, who wrote a range of other hits.

Kerry Chater also wrote a wonderful rocker, 'That's the Way It Goes', with his wife, Lynn Gillespie Chater, along with Cyril Rawson, which was on Anne Murray's fantastic self-titled 1996 album. Anne Murray performed this song regularly in her concerts from 1996 onward. (I was lucky enough to see her perform it three times).

So what are some of your favourites not recorded by Karen and Richard, but written by Carpenters' writers?

Michael Jackson's "Human Nature" was co-written with John Bettis. I've always had a soft spot for that one, a very nice, smooth ballad. Herb also later recorded an instrumental trumpet cover of it.

I read that two members of Bread were responsible for co-writing "For All We Know" with Fred Karlin. I think Bread had pretty fine music, and David Gates' solo song "Goodbye Girl" is a sweet tune.

And of course, there's Bacharach. Pop music would definitely not be what it is today without him.

One favorite from Geld-Udell (Hurting Each Other) is Sealed With a Kiss which was first done by Brian Hyland, then in 1972 by Bobby Vinton.

I also love Trains and Boats and Planes (Bacharach-David). The little bit of it that K&C did on their variety special just screamed record me !

I read that two members of Bread were responsible for co-writing "For All We Know" with Fred Karlin. I think Bread had pretty fine music, and David Gates' solo song "Goodbye Girl" is a sweet tune.

Fred Karlin was responsible for the lovely song "Leave Yesterday Behind", one of Karen's warmest vocal efforts - and one of her most underappreciated...

The song that immediately comes into mind is, of course, Paul Wiliiams' "Just An Old Fashioned Love Song" which the Carpenters very unfortunately passed on - much to the delight of Three Dog Night...but then again 5th Dimension did pass on his "Rainy Days and Mondays" - much to the delight of Richard and Karen (and the rest of the music-loving world)...

I'll start with Canadian songwriter, Kerry Chater. He co-wrote "Back In my Life Again", which K&R released as a single in 1981.

I bought Anne Murray's album, "I'll Always Love You" in 1979. It has a lovely acoustic track on it called 'Stranger At My Door', which Kerry Chater co-wrote with Rory Bourke and Charlie Black, who wrote a range of other hits.

Kerry Chater also wrote a wonderful rocker, 'That's the Way It Goes', with his wife, Lynn Gillespie Chater, along with Cyril Rawson, which was on Anne Murray's fantastic self-titled 1996 album. Anne Murray performed this song regularly in her concerts from 1996 onward. (I was lucky enough to see her perform it three times).

Two great songs - thanks for the uploads - can't believe I never heard them before - love Anne Murray (something about those contraltos).

I always thought that Carole King's "Nightingale" was a natural for Carpenters to have done. The song was from her 1974 album, later released as a single but rose slowly in the charts. It took till spring of 1975 to achieve its chart highs.

Here's Carole's version. The backing harmony vocals are done by Carole's daughters.

I always thought that Carole King's "Nightingale" was a natural for Carpenters to have done. The song was from her 1974 album, later released as a single but rose slowly in the charts. It took till spring of 1975 to achieve its chart highs.

Here's Carole's version. The backing harmony vocals are done by Carole's daughters.
Thank you for this upload on this lovely song and the fun fact on the backing vocals :love: . This is a strong performance by Carole King, but of course Carpenters putting their uniqueness on this song would have been magic for sure. I can just hear some distinctive flair being done by Bob Messenger on flute, Earl Dumler on oboe and the predicable Jim Gordon tom tom extravaganza would have also probably been done during this time frame.

If Carpenters were going to cover an ABBA song, Richard and Karen made the right choice. Bjorn and Benny wrote "Thank You For the Music", which K&R recorded in the studio and performed live.

Bjorn and Benny's "I Let the Music Speak" has a different appeal from some of their full-on pop songs. I can imagine Karen singing this.

Bjorn and Benny's "I Let the Music Speak" has a different appeal from some of their full-on pop songs. I can imagine Karen singing this.

I’ve always loved this song and you’re right, it would have been right up Karen’s street, partly because it gives Frida the opportunity to showcase her amazing breath control as a vocalist. In the second verse, there is one section that she delivers in one breath, lasting an incredible 18 seconds:

I let the music speak
Leading me gently, urging me like a lover
Leading me all the way, into a place
Where beauty will defeat the darkest day

Where I'm one with every grand illusion
No disturbance, no intrusion”

I always think of John Bettis as writing only for Carpenters during Karen's lifetime but, of course, he wrote for others, as well.

With Michael Clark, he wrote a US Top 40 hit for Donna Summer called 'The Woman in Me', which she released in 1982.

Heart, (Ann and Nancy Wilson, etc.), also released the song as a single in the early 90s. Their version didn't make the Top 100. Surprisingly, Heart, known for being quite raucous, recorded a version that was almost quieter than a Carpenters song. Below, I've included their Spanish version, called 'La Mujer Que Hay En Mi'. It's quite nice.

Interestingly, both versions are in the same key and are close to the same tempo.

Last edited:
I've always been intrigued by a picture of Karen and Richard looking at their album collection. I think I've seen it in this forum...she's looking at Todd Rundgren's "Runt' album. I wondered if Richard considered recording "Be Nice To Me." It was one of my favorites as a "youngster." Then I looked at the lyrics...which I didn't do in great depth as a young man...and I think I see the problem. This was more difficult than changing a short phrase as in "Superstar." Anyway, aside from that, what does the forum think? Does the tune and range seem to be a fit? Chris May...did you and Richard get a chance to discuss "close, but no cigar" choices much with Richard? I know this is a bit afar from the topic, but I don't see another thread that comes close.

I'll try to attach a YouTube and you can scroll down in the comments for the lyrics.

Todd Rundgren's "Be Nice to Me" from Runt

Back
Top Bottom