• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Other strange compilations

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidgra

While we're talking about odd old compilations, how about this one:

THE CARPENTERS COLLECTION: THEIR GREATEST HITS

thecarpenterscollection.jpg

Track listing:

1. Close to You (shorter single edit)
2. We've Only Just Begun (1985 remix)
3. Top of the World (1973 version)
4. It's Going to Take Some Time
5. Only Yesterday (shorter single edit)
6. Jambalaya (On the Bayou)
7. Because We Are In Love (The Wedding Song)
8. Touch Me When We're Dancing
9. Sweet, Sweet Smile
10. Please Mr. Postman
11. Sing
12. Yesterday Once More (1985 remix)
13. There's a Kind of Hush (1985 remix)
14. Our Day Will Come
15. I Won't Last a Day Without You
16. Superstar (1985 remix)
17. This Masquerade
18. Ticket to Ride (1973 version)
19. Goodbye to Love (1985 remix)
20. A Song for You (1987 remix)

(songs without other designations are original album mixes)

There's actually no date anywhere on this CD, but I think it dates to 1987 or 1988. It's from West Germany.

The real oddity in this compilation is "Our Day Will Come" -- something that is almost never anthologized because it is part of the "Oldies Medley." This is the original version from NOW & THEN, complete with Tony Peluso's DJ voice-over. What makes it so bizarre is that it starts abruptly in the middle of his voice-over at the start of the song, without a fade-in. It ends immediately after he says, "...hits just keep on comin'!" when the drumbeats for "One Fine Day" begin. The ending is also abrupt, without a fade-out.

Other than the READERS DIGEST compilation, I believe this is the only time an individual song from the Oldies Medley has been anthologized separately.

David

Edit: This CD was also released with a white background on the cover, with the same track listing.

It's strange to see a "greatest hits" compilation that doesn't include "Rainy Days and Mondays" and "For All We Know." ("Hurting Each Other" is also not here, but that's not quite as glaring an omission as the other two.)

Cool find David, that photo appears in one of my music piano books. The logo is correct, but isn't it odd that the word The is included with Carpenters. The Carpenters Collection. Is this the first time it's appeared like that. Usually compilations will say Carpenters and then what it is like The Ultimate Collection or The Essential Collection, etc.. That is what struck me when I say the cover insert.

That truly is strange. Omits some of the biggest hits, but includes several songs that were not even released as singles! I suppose the hits cost more to license, so they included well-known songs that were cheaper, even though they weren't hits by the Carpenters.

I have seen this and the same compilation with different red cover. Many red covers were on auction site or net shop for used copies. Both CD and LP?

I think one of site said that it was from Holland, 1988.

Sakura

DAVID-I don't think this compilation is odd at all.In fact,it's alot better than all the US compilations combined!Here you've got a disc with a good portion of K&R's best work:"This Masquerade","A Song For You","Because We Are In Love",etc.Even "Our Day Will Come" is one of their better tracks.Plus,the good 1985 remixes are here,and the original single mix of "Top Of The World"(wich is currently not on any US album).The album cover could've been a little better.Yeah,this is a pretty good disc!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom