Our Least Favorites

Which track are you most likely to skip over?

• A Banda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Quiet Tear

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • And I Love Her

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Close To You

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • El Lobo

• El Présidente

• Fire And Rain

• The Great Manolete

• The Happening

• Hello, Dolly!

• Hurts So Bad

• Killing Me Softly

• Las Mañanitas

• Mexico

• Peanuts

• Summertime

• Talk To The Animals

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Thanks For The Memory

• Tijuana Sauerkraut

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • To Wait For Love

• The Trolley Song

• You Are My Life

• With A Little Help From My Friends

• Without Her

• Zorba The Greek

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, seeing the people who "admit" that they don't care for "Zorba" is beginning to suprise me, now--in this case--as is those who are suprised that it is a "dud" and that don't want to see it up here! I'd say our "list" is well-thought-out and contains the Top-25 that we nominated in that other thread... And the Alphabtical-Listing is probably what would sound good in "playing order" if we were to get that CD started... Now should I play my Worst Of Jefferson Airplane or my Worst Of Frank Zappa & The Mothers (of Invention)...?? :goofygrin:

Dave

...Looks like "Crayons", different as they might be, ARE working together to "Create The Perfect Picture"...! :wink:

Good Title: The Wurst of Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass!!! :laugh: ...With the cover showing Herb "blowing" through a salami, though unfortunately it's been done before...!

Dave

thetijuanataxi said:
However, I am glad to see only one title from VOLUME TWO.

Yeah, I find that interesting, too. I wonder if that's because the songs on that album are, to our collective taste, uniformly good, or whether (as in my case) I listen to it so rarely since it's not on CD.

Harry said:
I also find it interesting that some have mentioned, but at this point not voted for "El Présidente". For me that's THE single reason to dig out SOUTH OF THE BORDER. It's such a majestic take on the song we also know as "Winds Of Barcelona".

Here's another question raised for me by this poll: Why did "El Présidente" make the list but not "Winds of Barcelona"? We might ask ourselves which of the two arrangements of the same song we prefer, and why.

Numero Cinco said:
Harry said:
I also find it interesting that some have mentioned, but at this point not voted for "El Présidente". For me that's THE single reason to dig out SOUTH OF THE BORDER. It's such a majestic take on the song we also know as "Winds Of Barcelona".

Here's another question raised for me by this poll: Why did "El Présidente" make the list but not "Winds of Barcelona"? We might ask ourselves which of the two arrangements of the same song we prefer, and why.

I have always wondered about how Winds of Barcelona became El Presidente...

I probably prefer the Winds of Barcelona version; just the basic melody. I've never been much excited about all the cheering and noise with the El Presidente version.

"El Presidente" is one of my favorite TJB songs.

If I have to pick one from the list it would be "Killing Me Softly," but otherwise I vote for "Bud." That is the gloomiest, most depressing song I've ever heard and I can't stand to listen to it.

"Tijuana Sauerkraut" for me. I never cared for the Tuba - it seemed out of place, even in 1966 when I first heard it.

Steve

I am with Captain Dave on "El Presidente", I don't much care for all the cheering. I prefer to listen to "Winds of Barcelona".
As for Zorba, I just don't like the song. It has nothing to do with how it is played.
I suppose another one that I would skip over would be "Talk To The Animals".

I often skip Fire And Rain. I simply don't like the melody of that song. It doesn't inspire me anything but annoyment. I like most of the others though, including Talk To The Animals.:cool:

Captaindave said:
I have always wondered about how Winds of Barcelona became El Presidente....

For me, the obvious answer is that A & M were trying to recapture the success of "The Lonely Bull." The features distinguishing "El Présidente" from "Winds" all seem lifted from the first hit: fade in/fade out sound effects (crowds cheering), introductory fanfare, slower tempo, guitar and female vocalist in the bridge, and so on.

Numero Cinco said:
Captaindave said:
I have always wondered about how Winds of Barcelona became El Presidente....

For me, the obvious answer is that A & M were trying to recapture the success of "The Lonely Bull." The features distinguishing "El Présidente" from "Winds" all seem lifted from the first hit: fade in/fade out sound effects (crowds cheering), introductory fanfare, slower tempo, guitar and female vocalist in the bridge, and so on.

I always saw the song as a tribute to JFK...there is the "hail to the Chief" intro...and Herb is evidently a Democrat...

Dan

I was dubbing my old vinyl of THE CHRISTMAS ALBUM to CD last night, and I've gotta vote for "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle."

Except for late nominations of "Milord" and "Couldn't-Jingle Bell," my proposed poll seems to have petered out.

I remain convinced of its usefulness, however, in smoking out all those "Zorba"-sniffers out there. Who woulda thunk?

I must defend "The Bell that Couldn't Jingle." It's one of my favorite tracks on the Christmas album. It's fun to sing along with in the car too. It's a classic example of how Bacharach wrote a great song, but didn't quite get a handle with his own recording on how it should be performed; but Herb nailed it.

I'll defend Bell That Couldn't Jingle!!!!! It's great! Can't get it out of my head, and I've been listening to Brian Wilson's new Christmas cd (which is IMMENSELY entertaining!!). I can't think of a better recommendation than that.

I like "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle", too... Herb's version and the one by Bobby Helms (which is on a "remixed" version of "Jingle Bell Rock"--prefer the "older sounding" one better, though it's backed with "Captain Santa Claus")

Dave :bigsanta:

I would like to add "Miss Frenchy Brown" to the list... What is it that they say during it? There is a "word" sung out during this otherwise-instrumental...

Dave

...Yes, a CD with "This Song" on it is definitely one I won't Touch!! :laughup:

Dave said:
I would like to add "Miss Frenchy Brown" to the list... What is it that they say during it? There is a "word" sung out during this otherwise-instrumental...

Word? What word? I'm still waiting for someone to explain how they got that shh—Tock! sound throughout the song.

Numero Cinco said:
...Word? What word? I'm still waiting for someone to explain how they got that shh—Tock! sound throughout the song...

Oh, is THAT! what I hear!!! :rotf: Gee, now I don't think the song should be added to the tracklist, after all!! I'm kind'a getting used to the sound--what is it that makes it, go--...Sshhh-Tock!--Yeah, that's it!! :goofygrin:

Dave

...just curious about that...Noise, that's all! :rolleyes: :badteeth:

I think that's a combo of two percussion instruments. But I don't know what the names of them are, so I'm not much help. I would definitely add this song to my least-favorites list though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom