Pure Carpenters Heaven

Thank you for bringing up Albert Hammond, I had forgotten that he collaborated on the song also. I went back and took another look at the Japanese documentary "I Need To Be In Love". I was hoping to glean some information on who was responsible for what. Based on the interviews with Hammond and Bettis, I got the impression that Hammond was responsible for the song title and the intro (as fleshed-out on his guitar) and Bettis specifically brought up that he had written the Pockets full of good intentions... lyric. I would assume that Bettis probably wrote the main lyrics to the song. But there could have been a give-and-take between Hammond/Bettis.
I got the impression that this was how it started! I wish the end result had a more contemporary arrangement but the one it has is well suitable. I really enjoy the one arranged for the Bruce Forsyth Show. Karen sang it as it was intended, I believe. It simply does not get any better!

I would have to say that the “Carpenters Christmas Collection” is Carpenters heaven. Carpenters and Christmas!

As for non-seasonal, “All You Get From Love Is A Love Song” and “Who Do You Love?”.

I got the impression that this was how it started! I wish the end result had a more contemporary arrangement but the one it has is well suitable. I really enjoy the one arranged for the Bruce Forsyth Show. Karen sang it as it was intended, I believe. It simply does not get any better!

And I agree with you also on that Craig. I believe the greatest rendition of INTBIL was on the Bruce Forsyth Show. She absolutely nailed it and that drawn-out "neeeeed" was all Karen, just milking the song for everything it was worth. And we can all note, she "brought down the house" in the process. The definitive version of the song IMO.

I can't answer this question!! It's too hard. Performance-wise though, it just gives me pure joy too see Karen playing drums in this number:

If you forget the guys running around and just focus on Karen it's amazing to see how much fun she is having.

In the end though as Karen and Richard are running away from the stage, Richard leans to the piano and slouches away. All the life force seems to be on Karen.

^^Watching Karen perform on the drums is always a pleasure. By this point in time (viewing the clip), she was clearly the star of the act. All eyes were riveted on her.

I can't answer this question!! It's too hard. Performance-wise though, it just gives me pure joy too see Karen playing drums in this number:

If you forget the guys running around and just focus on Karen it's amazing to see how much fun she is having.

In the end though as Karen and Richard are running away from the stage, Richard leans to the piano and slouches away. All the life force seems to be on Karen.

I have always loved this performance precisely for the reason you say (and @Carpe diem as well). Karen appears to be so happy, having so much fun, a testament to how much she loved drumming. It's easy to see how she missed drumming as their career progressed.

Back
Top Bottom