• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Rare Brasil '66 video: "Norwegian Wood"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TulitaPepsi

I've never seen this before. Was this on a Ken Berry special? There is a quick closeup of Ken at the very end.

It's even better than the "Ye-Me-Le" and "Wichita Lineman" clips from the same period.

The girls are wearing supa-sexy outfits, and Lani has a gorgeous closeup at the beginning. In stark contrast to the other clips, Lani and Karen are boppin' around and having a blast - Lani's even laughing, :D - and Miss Karen? Girlfriend is really workin' that blonde mane of hers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOF1ro17w7k

JMK said:
Notice how Karen forgets to keep lip-synching right before the solo? Hilarious!

Sorry, I was too preoccupied with noticing other things about Karen to pick up on the poor lip-synching.

Mike

Mike said:
JMK said:

Sorry, I was too preoccupied with noticing other things about Karen to pick up on the poor lip-synching.

Mike

:agree:

I can see why they'd do lip-synching, although I disapprove the practice, but the electric sound coming from the acoustic piano (as JMK said) is a bit insulting to the audience, IMHO.

I have a hunch the majority of viewers didn't catch that.

They were too engrossed by Sergio's "hot babes"! :D

(I love how Lani 'looks around' to notice there wasn't a chair)

seashorepiano said:
Mike said:
JMK said:

Mike

:agree:

I can see why they'd do lip-synching, although I disapprove the practice, but the electric sound coming from the acoustic piano (as JMK said) is a bit insulting to the audience, IMHO.

It's like the flipside of the "Horizonte Aberto" special, when they're doing Misturada on the rooftop, and Sergio is getting a nice acoustic grand sound out of his Rhodes. :)

Like how Stillness was the first Sergio Mendes album I bought, Ye-Me-Le was my second...

It was tracks like "Easy To Be Hard", "Wichita Lineman" and of course, "Norwegian Wood", that I was curious and intrigued...!

Dave

The opening shot (once it focuses) reminds me exactly why I fell in love with Lani....I'm willing to bet it was at about the same time as Herb....

Of course, I was thirteen.........kinda gave him the edge :wink:

---Michael Hagerty

Seeing the closeups of Lani, one remembers how the dark 'exotic' female beauties with that long dark hair parted in the middle were so big in the late '60s music scene: Lani, Cher (before all the plastic surgery), Buffy Saint-Marie, even Joan Baez. As Lani is part Native American, the look really clicks with her.

And it was kinda 'out there' for them to be singing "Norwegian Wood" on a variety show of the time - the lyrics (Like "Like A Lover") are pretty sexy. As opposed to the boringly no-holds-barred, graphic and trashy stuff of today.

(Wow - I'm in my late 40s and sound like my 85 year old Dad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom