• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

RARE! OFFERING-reel to reel

Status
Not open for further replies.
The back cover is the same as the front cover, interesting. I don't know much about these reel to reels. The ebay user name looks like a name from this board.

For that much money, I'd like to see a scan of the spine of the box, and the reel. Normally, A&M used a variation of the LP back cover for the tape box. No mention of the playback speed either--reels were usually 7½ ips or 3¾ ips. Far as I know, there would have been two places A&M reels were duplicated at: 1) Ampex in Elk Grove Village, IL; 2) Columbia House. I'm familiar with the reels Ampex used, and in most cases, Ampex-duplicated reels have an Ampex logo on the box. (My Brasil '66 "Fool On The Hill" has no logo but does have the rear album cover art carried over, but my other A&Ms, Verves, and one London and one Fantasy, all have the logo.)

Reels are too iffy of a purchase for me, even non-rare, just due to not knowing how the tape has been stored. I've had reels literally decompose on me, the tape so brittle that you can't even wind it on the takeup reel to play it back. If it was stored near anything magnetic, or played on a questionable recorder, it could sound quite nasty. (And reels have it bad enough, having been high-speed duplicated.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom