• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Richard has answered our questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for keeping an eye out on that, Jeff! It is great to hear updated responses from Richard himself. Nice to know that he is fully aware of our existence (the fans in general I mean) and our continued love for the Carpenters' music. -Chris

Yes, thanks Jeff! It was very interesting to read Richard's responses to the questions, especially the one about the Quad albums.

Wow, that really was just updated last evening (Eastern Time). I had a few moments of down time yesterday at work and one of the places I landed while surfing was that Carpenters Official Site. As of about 4 PM, that "Fans Ask" page was still promised but not yet up and running.

Interesting replies.

My interpretation of this one:

Fans Ask ….. “Will the stereo layer of the upcoming SACD or DVD-A compilation have the original stereo mixes?”

Richard Answers: "Yes."

...is that by "original stereo mixes", Richard is referring to the original stereo mixes on SINGLES 1969-1981, which of course are mostly REMIXES.

Harry
...happy it's Friday, online...

I asked both questions about the quad and Christmas album. I must say that I am not too happy about his answers for the MAKE YOUR OWN KIND OF MUSIC special and the QUAD answers. I'm a little dissapointed! And his answer about releasing GOLD on CD and DVD was a tad dated!

The way I understood the response about releasing GOLD on CD and DVD was that they would be packaged and released TOGETHER. Did anyone else think that?

Randy

Yes, I thought that too - that the two US GOLD packages would be bundled together as a package, like the Sound+Vision package in Britain, and the prior GOLD package here: the GOLD DVD with the 20th Anniversary CD. That one never made sense to me, but the two GOLD packages do.

Harry
NP: radio at work

I was most amazed by the new Christmas CD answer. It's been over three years in the making. The tracks with Petula Clark were recorded in 2002.

While he is still on A&M records, I can't believe they would budget all these sessions without a release. This is a creative new project, not just another compilation. I would think Richard would jump at this opportunity.

The Carpenters holiday albums sell well every year, and I am sure the market would enjoy a third Carpenters Christmas collection.

I wonder what the story is?

JAZZ4JEFF said:
The Carpenters holiday albums sell well every year, and I am sure the market would enjoy a third Carpenters Christmas collection.

I don't think it could be considered another *Carpenters* Christmas album as there would be little or no contributions from Karen. Unless I'm mistaken on that point, it would actually be more in competition with the many other Christmas titles out there.

I envision it as more of an instrumental album along the lines of PIANIST, ARRANGER, COMPOSER, CONDUCTOR, with perhaps a guest vocalist or two, like Petula Clark.

Perhaps he's waiting for one more piece of inspiration or a killer song to help propel the album and cut through the noise of the many Christmas albums out there.

Harry
NP: FLUTTERBY, Butterfly Boucher

I'm still not too happy. For some reason I feel that Richard doesn't care too much about what the fans want. I used to be a pro-Richard with everyting, but I am phasing from that.

His answer about MAKE YOUR OWN KIND OF MUSIC made perfect sense to me. Any old 'variety'-type shows are problematic when it comes to re-releasing them in any form. Heck, the reason why the Carpenters had that show in the first place was so that NBC wouldn't have pay up again for the rebroadcasting/performance rights to whatever variety show they were replacing for the summer. That's why summer replacement shows existed in the first place.

And for those who've seen any snippets of the show, they were rather corny. It was the duo's first foray into television and they actually never really got it right until 1980's MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC. If any of their TV shows should see the light of day on DVD, that would be the one.

Harry
NP: radio at work

CarpentersToYou said:
I'm still not too happy. For some reason I feel that Richard doesn't care too much about what the fans want. I used to be a pro-Richard with everyting, but I am phasing from that.

Alex, you're partly right. In a way, Richard doesn't care about what the fans want -- at least, not in the sense that he'll release everything that the fans demand.

He's obviously very well aware of the fans' desire to have EVERYTHING. But he will only release projects that he feels will add to the Carpenters' legacy, not detract from it. He also obviously has no intention of releasing everything at once -- we get a little trickle of stuff every year or two. A new compilation here, a DVD there, an unreleased track every once in a while.

Now, if he truly didn't care about the fans at all, he wouldn't continue to finish and release recordings begun 20+ years ago. He wouldn't be re-relasing video collections on DVD. He wouldn't be releasing remastered versions of the original albums. He wouldn't have a website where he answers the fans' questions.

But like I've said before, it's unfair to judge him based on your expectations for him. I know people don't like to hear that, but he's going to do whatever HE wants to do, not what you want him to do. That's life, and that's the right way for him to live his life.

Dan

I'm glad that Richard finally decided to have his own website, and that he finally took the time to answer some questions. And the answers are very honest, he even apologizes for the delay of the Chistmas album release! What more can we demand??

But I still think, he has the wrong manager. The right manager would have told him long ago, how important public relation is.

Bruno
who no longer thinks, that this site is a fake

Idea: Richard should make a Christmas album with Chip Davis (Mannheim Steamroller.) Chip could provide excellent drum work; Richard could convince Chip to move ahead out of the '80s-style synthesizer style he's been stuck in for awhile; and they both could collaborate on killer orchestral arrangements.

Shoot, for that matter Richard should work with Manhattan Transfer. Would love to hear his vocal harmonies mixed in with theirs. They are very 'Carpenter-eque' as it is. -Chris

If you like Manhattan Transfer, you should give Sixth Wave a listen -- I discovered them through Richard Carpenter, actually.

Sixth Wave is an a cappella vocal group based in Los Angeles. They provide the vocals to Richard Carpenter's "When I Dream" on the Japanese release by Zaitsu (ZAITSU SONGS - A CAPPELLA). Incredible harmonies and superb talent. I know they have one CD out, and they might have just released a second CD (I need to check that out).

Think Manhattan Transfer meets the Swingle Singers, but doing more pop-oriented music. A whole album of this stuff arranged by Richard would be incredible.

David

I actually think Richard is doing what he wants...carefully...and when he wants as far as Carpenters Re-issues, and releases, and his own solo stuff too...and it's working. He has totally earned that right. The Carpenters continue to sell every year. Otherwise A&M wouldn't be asking for more collections. I would love it if Richard would have a spot on the website where we could pay for downloading ALL of the unreleased material he has. Donna Summer has announced she'll be doing just that and I think it's a great idea. But what works for some, might not work for all. Point is, he is taking great care of the Carpenters Legacy. One he is very proud of.

I would just like to say what a wonderful example Richard is setting by letting it be know publicly that he is directly involved in the raising of his children. Not all men would do that even if they had his money, believe me, let alone express it publicly. Very cool indeed. :cool:

Edited to say that this is in response to Richard's response about why more material hasn't been released. :rolleyes:

And, I say, more power to him and Mary!! It isn't easy raising kids in today's world. They have so much more to deal with than we ever had as young people.

Marilyn,
who realizes she is from the age of dinosaurs and is now just an old "fossil"!!!! :wink:

aaflyer98 said:
I actually think Richard is doing what he wants...carefully...and when he wants as far as Carpenters Re-issues, and releases, and his own solo stuff too...and it's working. He has totally earned that right. The Carpenters continue to sell every year. Otherwise A&M wouldn't be asking for more collections. I would love it if Richard would have a spot on the website where we could pay for downloading ALL of the unreleased material he has. Donna Summer has announced she'll be doing just that and I think it's a great idea. But what works for some, might not work for all. Point is, he is taking great care of the Carpenters Legacy. One he is very proud of.

I don't think he'd ever go for downloading. He's been very meticulous up to this point about how things sound and making things available for download would mean he would have to store "lossy" versions of what he has digitally on a server. His attention to sound detail is part of his charm, actually...:)

Ed

Yeah, Chris, that's my head and index finger. I know, I know. Waaaaaaay too much spare time on my hands. Actually, it is at this point that I must point you to the funniest album cover I have ever laid eyes on. Here 'tis:

soulclamdip.jpg

Ed

Great to see some Richard replies ....sure there are many more questions from both long -term & more recent fans that are awaiting Richard's input .....:cool:

Briefly re : Richard's replies on :

1971 TV series "Make Your Own Kind of Music " ....while the complete series with guest stars is unlikely to be released ....Richard could and may well issue the unissued Bacharach & David songs on a future Carpenters Rarities or Box Set ....and some of their Carpenters only performances for a future DVD :o

Interesting that Richard is planning work on a DVD -Audio companion for Singles 1969 -1981 as this would include unissued Carpenters film videos or other visual performances for those songs / singles OMITTED from Yesterday Once More / Gold Video / DVD compilations :

I Need To Be in Love / Close To You / Yesterday Once More (1978 TV
performance) , For All We Know (London Bridge Special performance ) &
many other possibles ..... :shock:

If enough fans keep queries re : Richard's Solo Christmas album delays
going via this site ....sure 2005 release date ....is more likely :wink:

Peter

Part of me thinks that the 78 version of Yesterday Once More has not surfaced on any video or DVD collection, principally because its just voice and piano, not the original song with a promo video, but also because Karen looks sooo bad on that - I was quite shocked when I saw it for the first time, especially when the camera zooms to her face during the first verse :shock:

If you notice, on all the subsequent promos, (Touch Me, Good Old Dreams, Beechwood), the camera never really gets up close, even though she looked relatively tanned during that period.

Stephen

Possible reason -Richard may prefer to use some unissued films / live performances for Yesterday... Sing... Goodbye ...For All We Know ....It's Going To Take ....I Believe You etc ....tracks that officially were omitted from A&M promo films :o

Certainly make up for lack of Video / DVD follow up set for Yesterday Once More (1985) that fans have queried / puzzled over for years :confused:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom