• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Richard with Update on PBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I just saw the last part of the PBS special that aired years ago. "Close to You Remembering the Carpenters on broadcast TV tonight.

It was the usual pledge type program, but during the end, they showed a very recent (not sure if this was live) interview with Richard, updating the PBS special. He was talking about the special & others things about there recording career. I have never seen Richard like this before, I guess I really haven't seen him in the last few years, could be more, but I could tell this was really recent, He had really short cropped hair, had on a sweater with a shirt under that the collar was pulled up around his neck, He looked good, older (we all are getting older) but he looked taned & great. He was also promoting & talking about, Carpenter Perform Carpenter, the Singles CD & the DVD/VHS of this special.

At the very end of this recent interview, the host asked what do we have to look forward to sorta question, He said that he had taken a long hiatias & besides working on compilations he really has done nothing musically, he did say he has taken that time to build a house, raise a family & such, But he mentioned that he is "back" writing songs again and writing for his new christmas collection (I'm assuming this is his new Christmas CD?) He diidn't really elaborate too much. He also said after he talked about writing that he is stiill with A&M.

This was really cool to see Richard, I didn't catch the whole show, so he may he interviewed throughout the breaks.

Look for this in your area, on the pbs type stations, you might see it with this updated version of Richard in the studio at the PBS station.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
But he mentioned that he is "back" writing songs again and writing for his new christmas collection (I'm assuming this is his new Christmas CD?) He diidn't really elaborate too much.

That partially echoes what he said on the XM Radio broadcast, except that he elaborated on the fact that he still wants to write more songs for the project, and will pretty much release it when he's good and ready.

Andrew -Patience ..... :wink:

All long term fans know Richard takes his time selecting , writing , arranging and producing new material or completing archive tracks..!

After all , Richard commenced work in late 1998 on the set that ultimately became As Time Goes By ....which after delays with copyrights and Universal finally emerged in August 2001 .... :o

Ideally if Richard does not complete this new Christmas masterwork for 2004 ....then a Carpenters DVD release or another set with some unissued material will emerge for the last part of 35th Anniversary year :)

Perhaps Richard's set will be released approx November 2004 as there are stories that 1 or 2 Carpenters Christmas rarities will be completed and included as bonus tracks ....and would tie in with some new material being available and keep Universal happy re : Richard solo album :shock:

Peter....Patient and Hopeful ......

Actually,work on "As Time Goes By" commenced long before 1998."Karen/Ella Medley" ,the first track contemplated for release,was scheduled for inclusion on "From The Top".A&M was negotiating with Ella's management all the back in 1990.It wasn't until after Ella died in 1996 that A&M got clearance to release the medley.If A&M had secured clearance a couple of years earlier,"Karen/Ella Medley" probably would have been included on INTERPRETATIONS.Also,All the MUSIC,MUSIC,MUSIC tracks were completed in 1980-no additional work needed to be done for AS TIME GOES BY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom