Richard's Plans for 2005 in Dec 28 Ventura Star Newspaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-T

Happened to be in California over Christmas.
The Dec 28th paper had a short interview w/him about his plans for 2005:
SuperAudio CD version of Singles 69-81 for January (21 songs),
DVD version in Feb (25 songs), and

"Carpenter, a Thousand Oaks resident since 2000, also said he will finish an album of Christmas songs, also for A&M Records, due for release in late 2005."

Hell, I didn't know 25 videos existed for all the songs. I thought we would've known about this sooner since the releases date is in February. That is only one month away.

Glad to see the Christmas album is finally going to be released. I can't wait! Still wondering about songs and this will be the first album that I am awaiting to be titled...well hits compilations don't count. lol

Happy New Year, everyone!

Thank you for the info, Mark.

Does DVD mean DVD-Audio? :rolleyes: :sad: :oneeye:

(6) Fans Ask ….. “Are there any plans to release any Carpenters audio-DVDs in the near future?”

Richard Answers …..

“Yes – DVD-Audio “Singles 1969-1981”, within the next 12 months if not sooner.”

Sakura

This is great news, sounds like the start of 2005 will start with a bang. That DVD sounds incredible. So whose gonna make a list here of what those 25 videos could be? I wouldn't think Richard would repeat the same songs already issued on Gold and Interpretations...would he??

Sakura brought up a great point. There was a DVD-Audio scheduled for release but I never knew the date. This could be the DVD-A with just more tracks or something...and maybe a few videos. I really don't know.

I already e-mailed Rich and asked him about this.

Hallelujah!!! Singles is coming out on DVD-Audio!!! :D Now I don't have to buy a SACD player to hear the surround mixes. I can use my ordinary DVD player to hear the compressed Dolby Digital versions. Good enough for me... My computer CAN play DVD-Audio discs, so I will be able to hear the hi-res stereo mixes (I don't have surround speakers for the computer).

Thank you Richard!!!

Murray
...hoping one of the extra four tracks will be "I Need To Be In Love"...

Thank God for my Pioneer DV-578A Universal player that will play vitually anything...well except Laser Discs.

Murray, When I read your post your seem really excited about the DVD-audio, isn't this the same CD we have been talking about now for a couple weeks, the SACD? Except that the track listing is starting to change?

I don't have a SACD player either, so that means if I have a 5.1 surround sound system that I will still get all the benefits?

I'm starting to get confused about these new releases.

I thought Universal's agreement regarding SACD required them to have a few months before a DVD-Audio title is to be released. But who knows? Neither format is all that healthy...

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Murray, When I read your post your seem really excited about the DVD-audio, isn't this the same CD we have been talking about now for a couple weeks, the SACD? Except that the track listing is starting to change?

I don't have a SACD player either, so that means if I have a 5.1 surround sound system that I will still get all the benefits?

Chris, they are the same album, but different formats. Here's what each contains:

SACD:
-high-resolution stereo (needs SACD player)
-high-resolution surround layer (needs SACD player & receiver with 5.1 analog inputs)
-CD layer (any CD player, but only in stereo)

DVD-A:
-high-resolution stereo track (needs DVD-A player)
-high-resolution surround track (needs DVD-A player & receiver with 5.1 analog inputs)
-DOLBY DIGITAL surround track (any DVD player & surround receiver)
-possibly four extra songs that aren't on the SACD

If you get the DVD-Audio of the album, you will be able to hear the new surround mixes with your existing equipment. The sound quality won't be quite as good as on the high-resolution track (or on the SACD), but you won't need to buy new hardware. That's why I'm exited that the album is coming out on DVD-Audio. I want to hear the new surround mixes, but since there are no other SACD titles that I'm interested in, I would hate to have to buy a new player just to listen to ONE album. Now I won't have to!!

Murray

I'm with Murray here. With DVD-Audio, being able to at least sample the mixes in surround will be the cool thing. I'll probably buy both versions though (the completist in me), on the thought that eventually, somewhere down the road, newer equipment that I get will be able to read the hi-rez stuff on one or both of these discs.

I'm not going to rush into buying another player right now, even a universal-type, though the prices seem to be pretty good. From what I'm reading elsewhere, SACD and DVD-A are not exactly catching on, and may just fade away as more audiophile fads.

Harry

Now I understand Murray. Thanks for the breakdown.

-DOLBY DIGITAL surround track (any DVD player & surround receiver) :thumbsup:

This is exciting news. Like Harry I will probably get both too. I'm starting to learn that if you wait on stuff like that it eventually goes out of print after it's released and then is when you want it & can't find it & when you do it's price is up'ed. (ex. Treasures Japan now out of print per CDJapan)

Great news -especially Richard's solo Christmas album -being confirmed for November 2005 release ...:cool:

Just hope Universal / A&M do not delay this album still further ....and actually work with Richard to promote / support this over- due set ...potentially his major selling solo album ...over several years ... :D

Confirmation of DVD is interesting .....Richard could combine various Carpenters TV performances / Live performances for singles without official A&M film videos ....plus perhaps a few surprises .... :wink:

All great news for 2005 to start with ....

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom