1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Official Review [Single]: 20. "I NEED TO BE IN LOVE"/"SANDY" (1828-S)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Mar 26, 2017.

Which side is your favorite?

1. Side A: "I Need To Be In Love"

22 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. Side B: "Sandy"

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. The length discrepancy is entirely due to the piano intro being chopped off the single. The remaining part of the song is the exact speed of the album version.

2. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

Our radio station played it only by request. There seemed to always be a comment about the choir from the DJ. Only Yesterday was the last to enter the top 10 in my hometown chart. Solitaire got the, now that’s beautiful comment but it was a hard summer sell. There’s A Kind of Hush rocketed up but stalled around 14. I even remember seeing Sheet Music for I Need To Be In Love on sale in Musicland, so it did get some push. I just think fans were hoping for a more contemporary feel and less of an easy listening tug. Besides the chorus I felt it had a nice summer alternative feel.

3. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Again, I chose INTBIL. Definitely. I'm sure some folks will not like this, but I think the Carps generally struck out with the songs that have names as a title: Eve, Druscilla Penny, and Sandy.

4. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

It Was hard deciding which of these two to vote for because I Love both songs but I finally decided on "I Need To Be in Love" as i first heard it on the 1985 Yesterday once more collection. And it became an instant favorite. The lyrics stick with me because I can totally relate to them. It should have been a bigger hit than it was but by the time it was released Disco was Starting to Dominate and Tastes were Changing. And that being said However I Give Sandy An Honorable Mention.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 8:05 AM
  5. I remember buying this single (at 16) and thinking it was a bit boring, even for the Carpenters! I felt Richard might've gone with the choral backing to evoke a "quasi-spiritual" tone to compliment the very personal, "confessional" lyrics. Even as a teen, I wasn't surprised it wasn't a big hit. The fact that it was Karen's all time favorite speaks volumes about how the lyrics reflected her own life. I've always liked "Sandy" (not so much lyrically). It might've made a better A-side!