Singles 1969-1981 SACD NEW TRACK LISTING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

Richard has surprised us again. I just noticed that the track listing has changed dramatically.

The songs have been put in different order. This Masquerade, Calling Occupants, Merry Christmas Darling, and Bless the Beasts and the Children have also been added.

Taken off are: I Need To Be In Love, Those Good Old Dreams, All You Get From Love Is A Love Song, and For All We Know have been taken off.

It really frosts my cookies that he changed this. I know I shouldn't be but I'm a little upset with some of the songs being left out. I bet Karen is turning over in her grave because he took off I Need To Be In Love. Afterall, it was her favorite.

And also, the new Australian release has even a different track listing than these two discs.

I've also noticed that CDUNIVERSE does not list the US regular CD version of The Singles 1969-1981 anymore. Is it out of print?

2005 SACD
1. Yesterday Once More
2. We've Only Just Begun
3. Superstar
4. Rainy Days And Mondays
5. Goodbye To Love
6. I Believe You
7. It's Going To Take Some Time
8. This Masquerade
9. Ticket To Ride
10. Top Of The World
11. Only Yesterday
12. Hurting Each Other
13. Please Mister Postman
14. Blessed The Beasts And Children
15. Merry Christmas, Darling
16. Sing
17. I Won't Last A Day Without You
18. Touch Me When We're Dancing
19. For All We Know - (reprise)
20. Close To You, (They Long To Be)
21. Calling Occupants Of Interplantery Craft

2000 US CD

1. For All We Know (1991 remix)
2. I Believe You
3. It's Going to Take Some Time (1991 remix)
4. We've Only Just Begun (1991 remix)
5. Those Good Old Dreams
6. Superstar (1991 remix)
7. Rainy Days and Mondays (1991 remix)
8. Goodbye to Love (1991 remix)
9. All You Get from Love is a Love Song
10. Top of the World (1973 version, 1991 remix)
11. Only Yesterday (1991 remix)
12. Ticket to Ride (1973 version)
13. Hurting Each Other (1991 remix)
14. Yesterday Once More (1991 remix)
15. Sing (1994 remix)
16. Touch Me When We're Dancing
17. Please Mr. Postman (1991 remix)
18. I Need to Be In Love (1991 remix)
19. I Won't Last a Day Without You (1991 remix)
20. (They Long to Be) Close to You (1991 remix)
21. For All We Know - Reprise

Why does RC insist on putting Christmas cuts in amongst the hits albums - fair enough it was a single, but these songs are spoiled in the middle of June!

Also a bit disappointed at the exclusion of sizeable and obvious hits like For All We Know, especially as this is the Carpenters' opening outing on SACD.

Stephen

Both All You Get From Love Is A Love Song and I Need To Be In Love are compilation staples and the latter was Karens favorite song so this decision does not make sense to me. Can't say I agree with Richards decision here. :confused: :thumbsdn:

raz42289 said:
17. I Won't Last A Day Without You
18. Touch Me When We're Dancing
19. For All We Know - (reprise)
20. Close To You, (They Long To Be)
21. Calling Occupants Of Interplantery Craft

WHY would Richard have removed FOR ALL WE KNOW, but not the short reprise? Something doesn't seem right... possibly a typo. I wouldn't be surprised if the complete song appears on the SACD rather than the reprise.

I agree with Stephen wholeheartedly. I don't want to hear a Christmas song amongst their pop hits! If RC just absolutely had to include MCD, he should have put it at the end of the CD, with a long gap between tracks (so that we would have enough time to stop the player if we didn't want to hear it).

Murray
...extremely disappointed that he won't get to hear I NEED TO BE IN LOVE in surround sound...
:sad:

Richard probably chose songs that translated well to surround sound, and as mentioned above, maybe he just wanted to freshen the track listing.

No biggie--I wasn't planning on buying this one myself. If I get a surround system I may get it, to hear the surround mixes.

BTW, I figured out one other reason Richard mixed the surround tracks at Capitol Studios: Capitol still has the same echo (reverb) chambers they used 50 or more years ago, and they are considered to be among the best natural echo chambers anywhere. Not that I expect the surround mixes to be drowned in reverb, but using a good natural reverb beats any of the digital equivalents available today, many of which have a steely, metallic, sterile quality to them.

Well, Calling Occ's is prob the best 5.1 in the mix. I was disappointed to find it missing from 2000 whenevers issue. This is a surround dealy-bob so I can somewhat understand I Need To Be In Love absent. While it's a strong ballad it doesn't have much goin' on in the backing vocals and orchestration. I go with the above comment that RC is trying to tailor this release to the music that he finds most format suitable. In any event, it is to be a complete virgin experience collectively. Hmmm. .. well it IS...c'mon. Excited, yes. Apprehensive, a little. I have high hopes at stake here.

Bring it on Mr. Man!

Jeff

What's also interesting is if you pre-ordered will there be a chance you may get a different version?

If the change in track titles is correct than it stands to reason why Richard did this. Why not leave off the tracks that don't present the true SACD technology to it's fullest & replace them with tracks that will blow your socks off? Ok by me.

..who still has not pre-ordered this CD nor has the original version on CD..

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
If the change in track titles is correct than it stands to reason why Richard did this. Why not leave off the tracks that don't present the true SACD technology to it's fullest & replace them with tracks that will blow your socks off? Ok by me.

Don't forget that the SACD will also contain high-resolution stereo mixes, so any song that Richard includes should sound superior, in stereo, to it's regular CD counterpart. Since the surround mixes will all be "remixes", Richard can add any extra instrumentation/orchestration that he wants, add more of his backing vocals, and move the existing backing vocals around in the mix, so there's no reason why a killer surround mix couldn't be made from any of the songs in their catalogue.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever track listing ultimately emerges, but I do hope that "Merry Christmas Darling" isn't on it (except possibly as a bonus track at the end). I don't care to hear a Christmas song in the middle of the pop hits, especially not in the summer!

Murray

Murray I really agree with you if he must include it please tack it on at the end so we can choose to pass that one & save it for the holidays in Dec :D Somehow playing this song too frequently during the year lessing the experience when I play it during the month of Dec. But you know...speaking of MCD, you know the ending when Karen & Richard overdubb at very ending, that would be awesome to hear on this SACD, wouldn't it??

Excellent points too about the stereo mixing Murray, for that reason alone I am really excited about this CD and I don't even have a SACD player.

Also if Richard is still tweeking the track listing wouldn't the songs he picked have to be singles from 69-81 in order to keep this title the same?

With SACDs, we've learned to take the "I'll believe it when I see it" approach. :D

And that, -= N =-, is an ever-growing list of broken promises. But if Richard is keen on the title enough to rejigger the track listing, we have to guess he's serious about getting it out eventually.

:ed:

Broken promises indeed...and none more broken than Universal saying Steely Dan's SACDs were due out last summer, while on that original "release date", Eliot Scheiner was still in the middle of mixing them last summer! :D Yeah, maybe they're a bit anxious, but jeez already... :wink:

Not surprised if Richard has altered track listing ....he does like to change most re-issues of albums , adding or deleting various tracks ....it is more interesting for Richard to work on estabished tracks & to freshen up selections for us fans ....:cool:

If Richard has removed I Need To Be In Love ....will be surprised as aside from being Karen's personal favourite (and mine ... :wink: ) ...Richard adores this song as well & deleting another of his own favourites For All We Know ...does seem odd ... :confused:

Probably Merry Christmas Darling was included when this set was provisionally due for October / November 2004 release ....a dry run for SACD issues of both Christmas albums or Christmas Collection compilation in 2005.... :?:

Calling Occupants is a fabulous Carpenters production track ....certainly will be fascinating to listen to this with SACD re-mixes...:cool:

Just hope there are no more delays with SACD release ....sure the final selections & set will be worth obtaining to hear Carpenters sound & Karen's vocals in their full glory .... :D

Peter

Ad banner is up at CD Universe.

f-carpenters.jpg

Harry

I can't wait for this release, exciting again for something new. Songs not new but the way they are being presented are. :)

Should I get the original Singles CD 69-81? So I can compare the 2? Just wondering what you all think about that?

Grrr, Harry you beat me to the banner. I saw that days ago but I was too lazy to post it. :yawn: :laugh:

Chris, I would get the original CD and the new SACD. I wouldn't consider myself a fan if I didn't have both. I wonder if the SACD will have the new piano part at the end of I Won't Last A Day Without You too?

Oh yeah. Sorry about that unecessary new thread. I accidentally hit new topic instead of post reply. Any idiot could have done it, but I was the only one here. :tongue:

I'd be curious to know what source they are using for the SACD 2-channel tracks. If they went straight from analog to DSD, the 2-channel could sound really good...even if they ARE remixes. Thing is, as much as stuff is digitized these days, the whole disc may just be "upsampled" from digital PCM, which is still better than CD but not ideal either. If this were the case, it's one less reason for me to buy it. Analog to DSD is as pure as it gets, but I don't know if they had access to the Sonoma workstation to do the mixdown from analog to DSD.

Really looking forward to this release ....although will probably wait until next USA visit -ideally including Richard 's TOTW 3 benefit -to obtain ....& buy SACD player at more reasonable USA prices .....especially with current exchange rate .... :wink:

Peter

Rudy said:
With SACDs, we've learned to take the "I'll believe it when I see it" approach. :D

Ain't THAT the truth, Rood! :thumbsup:

Can't wait to hear this one, I hope he does a good job with it - Keep it faithful, but open it up!

:-jon

JonUrban said:
Rudy said:

Ain't THAT the truth, Rood! :thumbsup:

Exactly. It's sort of like the early CD days--if you see a title, BUY IT. May not be around next time. Look at all those great Sony SACDs that are now long gone... :shake:

I am going to be one of the last ones to get it because I am going to be in school! drats! I will probably hit it over to Best Buy right after and make my purchase.

Best Buy does carry this kind of stuff right?

I AM EXCITED TOO! I bought the Pioneer HDT540 DV surround stereo system....it's awesome...and, best of all, it plays SACD and DVD-Audio!
Bring it on, Richard!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom