Singles box set in November?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidgra

Hi all.

I received an e-mail today from hmv.co.jp announcing the release of the Japanese Singles Box Set on November 1, 2006. The list price looks to be right at US $250.

There weren't many other details, and there was no info whatsoever on the tracks that will be contained on the singles.

But at least maybe we have a release on the horizon? I'm not holding my breath, but we can hope...

David

David, thanks for the update. I almost forgot about this release. Yes I can see that CDJapan has this back on their catalog for Pre-Ordering to be released Nov 1 2006 for $249.27 Tax Included. They also changed their description to say 8 inch CD format.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UIDY-9034

Here is the HMV as David mentioned:
http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail.asp?sku=1245168#

Chris May is there anyway you can contact Richard or his team and ask about this release again, can you confirm with them that this release is now showing active at 2 different sites for November that once showed Postponed is now showing active again. Thanks

Hi There,

I have received an email from an A&R of Carpenters in Japan at Universal Music International. He confirmed that the release date is November 1st. I hope the set will come out for sure this time. Fingers crossed!

http://iceland.cool.ne.jp/yuka/english/Carp/index.html

If you had placed an order and have not heard from me even once. It means your email filter categorized my email to you as "Spam". I am going to send you notification again since the release date is all set. If you do not hear from me by end of this month. Please check your SPAM folder.

Thanks,
Yuka

Hello everybody,

I have just heard from Universal Music's A&R that he has not seen the master tapes yet....... It does not sound like he is postponing its release again, but he is hoping to see the tapes very soon.

Just wanted to let you know that. ....... Well, if it gets postponed again, don't be too surprised.

I would like to let you know that I have not sent out any notification about box set order yet if you have placed one from my website. It will come out sooner or later but I do not want you to pay me and wait for another half a year. I will not ask to pay for it unless it is firmly confirmed by Universal Music international Japan.

Also, I have been able to find a couple of copies of "the Mook". They are second hand and in good condition. If you would like, please let me know.

Thanks,
Yuka

http://iceland.cool.ne.jp/yuka/english/Carp/index.html

Hi Guys,

My website has been re-located and it is at
http://carpenters4u.net/eg/

I have gotten a new domain name, and I will carry it around if I need to change the server. Please refresh your bookmark.

I have not yet sent out any notification about the release of Singles Box set. Again, I would NOT unless I know for sure. I will react as soon as Universal Music says they have received master tapes for the set.

Those who has sent me request about "the mook", sorry for taking time to reply. You will be hearing from me very soon.

Thanks,
Yuka

Hi guys!

Ironically, I can log in from my phone, but not my computer. No, I've not been dead!

Well, I personally can't wait for this boxset to come out. I'm going to be all over it like white on rice.

Hello all,

I have just spoken with a working A&R of Carpenters who is actually creating this boxset. Well, at the moment the production is a bit behind schedule. He is trying to make it in time, but may need a extra few days.

Representing Carpenters fans all over the world, I asked him to please take his time and finish the product as the way it should. We have been waiting for this set long enough, it does not matter if we would wait extra few days. We would rather have a product which is what is supposed to be, than one with hurriedly created.

So, we may experience another delay and that should be only a matter of days not months.

http://carpenters4u.net/eg/index.html

At above website, I am accepting orders. US$250 for a set and $32 for EMS shipping to North America. If the price is different on my web, I will fix it soon.

Thanks,
Yuka

Hi again,

New release date is set. It is November 22nd. Well it sure is a delay but not for months but days! We will be receiving it by Christmas, and that is what really counts, I think.

Again, please let me mention that my website has moved to a new domain:

Thanks,
Yuka

Harry are you planning to order this? I know that you are a completist like myself and I wondered if you changed or mind since then.

I originally pre-ordered it and then it auto cancelled when things didn't go through. Now I'm unsure again if I want to re-order.

I know we went over this before but it's been awhile, these are still mini discs right? (like the Japan Christmas song 3" disc) am I correct in this? So with 33 singles there would be 33 mini discs. I'm thinking the only way I am going to be able to play these would be on my sony walkman which I hardly ever use, most of my Carpenters listening is done from my car which can't play these kind of discs.

I need some more Pro's into getting this set besides being a completist that I am. I need more Pro's for spending $250.00 for this.

I'm still undecided - I guess I need more details, maybe some pictures before I commit to $250. It's a bit pricey, and 33 little discs that are hard to play doesn't really excite me.

If this were a set of two or three discs with all of the artwork provided, it would have been a lot cheaper and we could have played them everywhere.

I'm still in wait mode for now...

Harry

Hi Harry and Andrew,

I wonder if you are subscribed to my newsletter which I have been operating since 1999. If you are, I am happy. If you are not, probably it does not hurt to join there. It is on Yahoo egroups, and it is called, Carpenters info. This is not a mailing list but a newsletter. After Newville Avenue was disbanded, people did not have any place to go, and also many people just wanted solid info but not interaction among members. So this is a newsletter, not a mailing list.

If you were a subscribers, you know the whold concept of it, and Universal music has decided to create it the way they are doing now. We even had an opportunity to tell A&R what we would like via email. Because they were not sure what was the best format for the fans. So I asked Japanese mailing list people as well as English newsletter subscribers to send me what they want to see in such boxset.

They are the miniaturized version of original Japanese singles; mix and sleeves et all.

As soon as they arrive, I will get photos and post it onto my website.

Yuka

Hi Yuka,

Yes, I'm a member of your Yahoo group and get the newsletters. I've seen the descriptions from both Universal and yourself - still, I think I would prefer to wait until some fans actually get hold of this set and can describe in detail, in their own words, what the set is like.

Many times, the joys of such sets cannot be appreciated by descriptions from the source company, but are better handled by the fans themselves.

Harry

Well I see that CDJapan has the set list up, although we have seen it before this is the first I've seen it from CD Japan. I guess it won't be too long before we see what the cover and box will look like. I'm still undecided but I know I will probably cave and get it. So there is a total of 67 songs? Just seeing them all in this order makes me want to get it since we have never seen a set in digital format like this before. I'm so curious if Santa Claus is Coming to Town is the original single version we've never had on ditigal format. Will Look to Your Dreams have the fade out at the end without Richard's added piano? um? So this works out to be about $4.00 a song right? I'm starting to justify this. :)

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UIDY-9034

Tracklisting
1. TICKET TO RIDE
2. ALL I CAN DO
3. CLOSE TO YOU
4. I KEPT ON LOVIN' YOU
5. WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN
6. I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN
7. FOR ALL WE KNOW
8. BABY IT'S YOU
9. RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS
10. SATURDAY
11. SUPERSTAR
12. MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING
13. BLESS THE BEASTS AND THE CHILDREN
14. HELP
15. HURTING EACH OTHER
16. MAYBE IT'S YOU
17. IT'S GOING TO TAKE SOME TIME
18. FLAT BAROQUE
19. GOODBYE TO LOVE
20. CRYSTAL LULLABY
21. TOP OF THE WORLD
22. DRUSCILLA PENNY
23. SING
24. I WON'T LAST A DAY WITHOUT YOU
25. YESTERDAY ONCE MORE
26. ROAD ODE
27. JAMBALAYA (ON THE BAYOU)
28. HEATHER
29. TOP OF THE WORLD
30. ONE LOVEA PENNY
31. I WON'T LAST A DAY WITHOUT YOU
32. ONE LOVEA PENNY
33. SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN
34. MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING
35. PLEASE MR. POSTMAN
36. THIS MASQUERADE
37. ONLY YESTERDAY
38. HAPPY
39. SOLITAIRE
40. LOVE ME FOR WHAT I AM
41. THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD)
42. GOODBYE AND I LOVE YOU
43. I NEED TO BE IN LOVE
44. SANDY
45. BREAKING UP IS HARD TO DO
46. I HAVE YOU
47. ALL YOU GET FROM LOVE IS LOVE SONG
48. EVE
49. SWEET, SWEET SMILE
50. CAN'T SMILE WITHOUT YOU
51. CHRISTMAS SONG
52. MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING
53. CALLING OCCUPANTS OF INTERPLANETARY CRAFT (THE RECOGNIZED ANTHEM OF WORLD CONTACT DAY)
54. MR. GUDER
55. SILENT NIGHT
56. JINGLE BELLS
57. AVE MARIA
58. I BELIEVE YOU
59. B' WANA SHE NO HOME
60. BEACHWOOD 4-5789
61. BECAUSE WE ARE IN LOVE (THE WEDDING SONG)
62. THOSE GOOD OLD DREAMS
63. I JUST FALL IN LOVE AGAIN
64. MAKE BELIEVE IT'S YOUR FIRST TIME
65. LOOK TO YOUR DREAMS
66. HONOLULU CITY LIGHTS
67. WHEN YOU GOT WHAT IT TAKES

I'm getting more and more intrigued. Just the thought of "I Kept On Lovin' You" with a clean open, "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" in its original mix, and a few other single mixes has me thinking hard about this one.

I just wish it wasn't all these little mini CDs, since that's what's pushing up the price. These would all fit on three CDs and be a lot cheaper. They could have put the artwork in a booklet, and it would be bigger than the 3" format allows.

Harry

58. I BELIEVE YOU
59. B' WANA SHE NO HOME
60. BEACHWOOD 4-5789
There's something wrong with this list, because Touch Me When We're Dancing and (Want You) Back In My Life Again are missing. :shock:

newvillefan said:
58. I BELIEVE YOU
59. B' WANA SHE NO HOME
60. BEACHWOOD 4-5789
There's something wrong with this list, because Touch Me When We're Dancing and (Want You) Back In My Life Again are missing. :shock:

"Touch Me" and "Back In My Life" were not issued as singles in Japan. If you want to see a complete list featuring the cover pictures for all of the Japanese singles, EPs, 12-inch and CD single releases go to http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~AP5K-YMD/carp45.htm

While I know alot of fans may be "at the end of their ropes" with delays, I -for one- am EXTREMELY happy that the delay is due to RC's approval and un-ending quest for the best for his fans. Thank you Richard!

"Touch Me" and "Back In My Life" were not issued as singles in Japan.

I keep forgetting that this is the Japanese singles not the American ones :laugh:. Makes me wonder why they bothered actively promoting these two songs to the Japanese audience in 1981. They performed 'Touch Me' at least once that I know of, on the Japanese Telethon on 22nd August.

On a related note, I'd love to know why they went to the vast expense of promoting Made In America, when in reality it was a relative flop. I put a list together of their trips in 1981 and was surprised to come up with this much:

22nd August - Japanese Telethon, live from Los Angeles
1st September - filming Merv Griffin Show, Los Angeles
9th October - Good Morning America Interview, New York (en route to Europe)
mid October - Europe Day 1 Palmares Show, Paris France (Touch Me When We're Dancing)
mid October - Europe Day 2 Sightseeing only
mid October - Europe Day 3 Numero Un, Paris, France (Sing, Top Of The World)
mid October - Europe Day 4 Top Pop and Mies Shows, Amsterdam, Holland
Late October - BBC Radio 2 Interview with John Dunn, London, England
Late October - BBC Radio London Interview with Tony Blackburn, London, England
Late October - Capital Radio Interview with Michael Aspel, London, England
Late October - Album Signing at Harrods store, London, England
24th October - Multi-coloured Swap Shop London, England
25th October - Dinner with Peter & Babs Knight
27th-29th Oct - filming Show Express, Germany (Top Of The World, Beechwood 4-5789), sightseeing
(return to Paris for connecting flight to Brazil)
November 1st - Arrive Brazil
November 2nd - Press interviews
November 3rd - Radio interviews, Generation 80s Show (Close To You, Begun, Back In My Life Again medley), Golden Globe (Touch Me When We're Dancing)
November 4th - Radio interviews, Sao Paulo
November 5th - filming Fantastico Show @ Sugarloaf Mountain, Brazil (Touch Me When We're Dancing), Sendas Shopping Mall Concert (Close To You, Back In My Life Again)
November 6th - Press interviews
November 7th - Radio interview/appearance, leave Brazil

I'd love to know why they went to the vast expense of promoting Made In America, when in reality it was a relative flop.
MADE IN AMERICA was seen as a possible comeback album for the Carpenters. Note the return of the "smiling faces" on the cover, which had been missing for a few albums prior. I have always thought if they'd used something -- ANYTHING else for that cover, the album could have done much better.

I'm not so sure the cover had everything to do with that album being a hit or not, it was the period that Karen and Richard were in, it was manifesting into the music. The photo cover for MIA was not even a true depiction of what Karen looked like at the time. For one it was not even a real photo but a drawing type look, then Karen had a total different look in 81.

If you have seen the interview on Good Morning America you will know what I mean. It just didn't fit, it was suppose to be going good new album back together....but something was going on underneath it all and I'm not just talking about Karen's illness. Richard in that interview is like he is on pins and needles very very careful about what he says and looks over at Karen every couple words as if not to say the wrong thing. That interview depicts Karen wanting to do other things, she even said there is a way for us to be together but still work separate. I think A&M wanted them back together but I'm not sure Karen was 100% there, after what happen to her solo album. If you get a chance to hear and see that interview you will know what I mean.

I think it was a matter of time before Karen went out on her own.

I haven't seen that interview. I guess I don't think the cover was completely responsible. But it didn't help...it was just cheesy. The fact is, they were past their peak, so maybe nothing would have made that album a hit. And there's nothing wrong with that...every popular artist stops having hits eventually.

The photo cover for MIA was not even a true depiction of what Karen looked like at the time. For one it was not even a real photo but a drawing type look, then Karen had a total different look in 81.

I've lost count of the number of people who have said that. I was only little at the time it came out, but I can imagine people buying that album and then seeing Karen on TV appearances. It only served to reinforce the fact that Karen looked vastly different - and vastly worse - than the smiling Karen we see on the sunny, breezy cover.

If you have seen the interview on Good Morning America you will know what I mean. It just didn't fit, it was suppose to be going good new album back together....but something was going on underneath it all and I'm not just talking about Karen's illness. Richard in that interview is like he is on pins and needles very very careful about what he says and looks over at Karen every couple words as if not to say the wrong thing. That interview depicts Karen wanting to do other things, she even said there is a way for us to be together but still work separate. I think A&M wanted them back together but I'm not sure Karen was 100% there, after what happen to her solo album. If you get a chance to hear and see that interview you will know what I mean.

I agree that it looks like Richard is treading on eggshells all the way through that interview. At the end, Karen talks about wanting to do a movie and tries really hard to build up her brother's talents by saying he should score a movie, and he begrudgingly admits that 'I'd like to do it, but it's not at the top of my list'. Karen replied with an indignant jab of her finger at herself 'you can score my film!'. To which he laughs and sarcastically replies 'I'll get back to ya'.

I think it's fair to say that the atmosphere between them was not the best during that interview, almost as if they had had words about something before they went on. Richard looks at her repeatedly when talking, instead of at the interviewer, as if he's trying to put out a united front but is expecting her to make an outburst of disagreement or something.

I would also agree that Karen would have bounced back with another idea at some point after this had she lived, and probably would have been picked up by a producer for a starring role in a musical like she wished for. At this point in time, she admitted they were actively looking for a role for her.

Stephen

I think Richard said "I'll have my secretary get back to your secretary." or something to that effect. Ouch. I also remember Karen commenting about their squeaky clean image. She rubbed herself making a squeaking sound. Back then she looked to me like a fashion model. I had no idea that she was too thin; she looked in vogue. What did I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom