• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Singles that were and singles that weren't

Vinylalbumcovers

Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo
B'wana She No Home was sooo far ahead of its time. It belongs in the early to mid 80's. I can imagine hearing this song while cruising the Pacific Coast Highway.

I'm sure you know this but the track initially surfaced on Michael Franks' "Sleeping Gypsy" album in January of 77 - nine months shy of Carpenters' cover. Like many of the covers on "Passage", Carpenters' version isn't particularly different from the original. The only real difference is the key and Gene Puerling's vocal arrangement. Here it is if you've never heard it:

Ed

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
I'm sure you know this but the track initially surfaced on Michael Franks' "Sleeping Gypsy" album in January of 77 - nine months shy of Carpenters' cover. Like many of the covers on "Passage", Carpenters' version isn't particularly different from the original. The only real difference is the key and Gene Puerling's vocal arrangement.

Great to hear this version again after a while. This is a more laid back version of the song. What sets the Carpenters’ version apart is the drumming on it. It really gives the track a groove and percussive edge that I’ve always loved. There were three different drummers used on the album, I don’t know if it was Vince Charles, Ed Greene or Ron Tutt who played drums on this track. If I had to guess I’d say the latter.

Vinylalbumcovers

Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo
Franks version is good, but Karen's amazingly crisp confident vocal and the piano sax duet make the Carp's version absolutely stellar!

For me, it's Puerling's vocal arrangement and the interplay between the players on Carpenters' version that gives it the edge. Pete Jolly is an absolute beast. Of course, Tom Scott is THE jazz sax player along with David Sanborn. The whole band was just having too much fun and you can hear it. I honestly didn't know Ron Tutt had this kind of drumming work in him.

Of course, Karen sounds perfectly detached. There is nothing else in their catalog like this and I love it.

Ed

Top Bottom